Night of Dark Shadows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night of Dark Shadows Reviews

August 5, 2015
I went into this one thinking I'd caught it before, perhaps on a TCM late night viewing, but I was surprised to find it all very new to me. I enjoyed the film overall, but it didn't really feel like what I was expecting from the series, if I'm being completely honest. I think I was expecting more vampires and got ghosts and witches instead, which just didn't scratch the same itch.

Rental?
April 16, 2013
I give this a three because i have seen the deleted scenes, and if they could only be incorporated into one glorious Director's Cut of some sort this film would be regarded a lot higher than it is. Even uncut the fim isn't as good as the House of Dark Shadows but it does take us on a more spectacular journey. And i must say that Lara Parker is looking S-E-X-Y throughout the entire film. If i were Prince i would write an entire EP about her and what i think of her. I would call it "Sensual/Wicked/Nectar"
November 9, 2012
Honestly, this is a better movie than the first one, if only because it creates an excellent, spooky atmosphere, and most of the same actors have learned to dial down their performances for film. It does struggle with the same time and logic gaps, mostly toward the end, and this time because of studio-mandated cuts. However, in general, it's a better picture, and a restored full-length edition could go a long way toward fixing some of its flaws.
July 7, 2012
I remember seeing this when Dark Shadows was in it's hayday. Enjoyed it then and now it gives the opportunity to revisit the past if even for just a short time.
½ June 8, 2011
Though Dan Curtis had to rush to shave off key scenes in this movie, the finished product is a step-up visually than House of Dark Shadows. David Selby does a fantastic job as Quentin and the story is a nice take off of the old show. Be warned-this movie is for Dark Shadow fans only though. If you are planning on watching this, watch House of Dark Shadows or the tv show first or this movie will probably blow to you
January 3, 2008
I have always been a huge fan of the series Dark Shadows so now I finally get to see the movie. It hasn't disappointed me one bit.
½ January 8, 2008
Dan Curtis shows that once again, he is a poor filmmaker. This is more of the same anti-Christian FUD that gives atheists and pagans their jollies in seeing stereotypical hateful Christians get theirs. I expected so much more from the master of Dark Shadows. This is utter dreck.
½ August 11, 2005
I'd have to say this is one of, if not my favorite film that Kate did... It's pretty crazy and sticks with the unusual theme that the Series DARK SHADOWS portrayed to begin with... It's always changing and the ending will surprise you, if you have not seen it yet...
August 5, 2015

Rental?
½ November 8, 2014
"Dark Shadows" creator Dan Curtis originally planned this film to be a direct sequel to the previous "Dark Shadows" film, but the actor who played Barnabas Collins, understandably, did not want to get typecast as a vampire, so Curtis took a subplot from the show (which I was completely unfamiliar with) and essentially made a haunted house story about a couple moving into the Collins estate. The only real fun for me was that the film features my favorite Angel, Kate Jackson, who made her feature debut, taking her series character to the big screen.
½ November 2, 2014
A modest exploitation supernatural tale, that seems better suited to be soap opera day TV fare than a feature movie. The atmospheric low-budget flick about an evil ghost witch bothering a new tenant was inspired by the popular television soap-opera/horror melodrama Dark Shadows. Dan Curtis ("Our Fathers"/"The Love Letter"/"Intruders") helms the second film he based on that TV show, with the first Dark Shadows rip off the far better flick.
June 8, 2014
2nd and weakest of 2 movies spun off the hugely popular TV soap opera "Dark Shadows"
November 26, 2013
Haunted by the Past--Terrible sequel due to editing, not so much story!!
November 20, 2013
Secondo film tratto dalla serie tv di culto. Pi lento del precedente, accelera il ritmo nel finale. Non male.
½ May 4, 2013
Nice addition to the famous app
April 16, 2013
June 3, 2012
Oh how I wish I could give Night of Dark Shadows, the second feature film based on the 1960â(TM)s television soap opera, Dark Shadows, a positive review, I really do, but truth be told, even for a hardcore Dark Shadows fan like me, the film just isnâ(TM)t that good. David Selby, Lara Parker and Grayson Hall, along with tons of other regular members of the soap opera cast all put in perfectly enjoyable performances, but an incredibly weak script isnâ(TM)t helped at all by plodding direction and bad camera work. It could be argued that the thing missing from this film is Jonathan Fridâ(TM)s iconic Barnabas Collins, but I have watched months of the series at a time without the famous vampire and know that the ghoulish fun of Dark Shadows can work even without its most famous cast member. Unfortunately, whatever it was that made the series as much fun as it was, is just lacking from this ponderous mess.