The Night They Raided Minsky's (The Night They Invented Striptease) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Night They Raided Minsky's (The Night They Invented Striptease) Reviews

September 18, 2009
A very lovingly made homage to both vaudeville and burlesque.

Not overly glamorized into the typical slapsticky chuckle-fest that you might expect. While there is some of THAT...there is also a bit of the seedy and slightly dark underbelly of "the business" thrown into the mis, but done so in a way that doesn't make it feel gratuitous.

The acting is good, especially Britt Ekland who gives a GREAT performance.
Some of the cinematograpy and editing are genious and the costumes and set designs are SPOT ON.

All of these things REALLY serve to convey the look and feel of the era and make what could easily have been just another rambunctious romp through the "Roaring 20's" look and feel (at times) more like archival footage brought to life.
½ March 1, 2009
I sat here while my dad watched the last half of I got a good feeling of how the movie is..xD...lots of montage of 1920s things..XD..and some odd scenes..and lots of 1920s burlesque action lol..I'll just give it 3/5 because I doubt I'll ever sit through the whole thing XD..and it'd seemed mildly entertaining for a boring afternoon xD..soo..hahah...yup.
½ May 5, 2008
Norman Lear's period peek at a peculiarly American form of entertainment - burlesque - is most successful in its art direction and nostalgic recapturing of New York's lower East Side during its most hoydenish period.
½ June 23, 2014
Refreshingly accommodates both the repulsive seediness of the milieu and nostalgic attraction for an less sophisticated era with charmingly bad dance routines and exquisitely well-performed slapstick. An interesting musical score with both narration and a finale delivered by Rudy Vallee himself. Many fine actors in both lead and supporting roles.
June 23, 2014
It is cute and tell a nice story
April 21, 2012
What a stinker. This movie was nothing but rubish, and disgraceful. The people who made this should have thrown it out.
February 18, 2011
I remember this movie was the one being shown at the movie theater when a kid would sneak down and open the side door of the movie theater and about 10 kids streamed in sneaking up to the seats. It must have been the spring of 7th grade.Otherwise it was The Mark Of The Devil which would have been the spring of 8th grade.
½ December 18, 2010
The worst night of entertainment I ever knew. This silly charade of an Amish girl going to the stage to strip tease is sheer nonsense. Who the hell writes this stuff?

Comedy directed by no less than The Exorcist director William Friedkin.

This film is purely all about vaudeville as it shows scene after scene of the old acts on stage. It goes back once and a while to normal dialog and people, but its all about stage acts.

Obviously from the title these folks are doing something that the police do not like. They raid Minskys sooner or later don't they? Has lots of veteran, and I do mean old veteran actors like Bert Lahr (the cowardly lion in The Wizard of Oz).

Cinematography is very well done. This is one crazy film and I mean that in the worst, uncomplimentary way.

Jason Robards as Raymond Paine