Ninja Scroll Reviews

DragonEyeMorrison
March 22, 2007
If there is a word that resumes quite well this film is action, NS is all about the action. The plot is "101 Action/epic fiction" and curious enough is what makes it work. Kawajiri knows that there is no point in trying to re-invent the genre, so instead he works in crafting a rich and excentric visual background.
366weirdmovies
November 7, 2010
A ninja-for-hire joins forces with a cursed female ninja and a gnome-like spy to fight against the Eight Devils of the Dark Shogun. Above-average anime adventure/fantasy set in feudal Japan featuring nice artwork, a complicated but coherent plot, and graphic violence and nudity. This is a 5 star movie if you're a 16 year old boy, but loses a half star with every two years you age until it flattens out (if you're a girl, I assume it starts out flat).
½ September 11, 2010
12/09/2010 (ONLINE)

If you liked "Ninja Assassin" then you may wanna see this, especially in the "blood and gore" department. This is another "classic" Manga/Anime that blew up the scene back in the days like "Fist of the North Star", "Guyver" and stuff like that and it's still a cool as flick to watch for me.

The story is cool and I'm always down with the whole "Ninja" thing. Awesome drawings, kick-butt voicing and blood is constantly splattered generously. Although it's quite old it's still better than some the "animated flicks" made these days, even better than some "live action" ones too, but then again that's my opinion.

It's been a while since I'd seen this and watching this again was still a great experience, I am glad I found it online because someone burrowed my DVD of this and I haven't seen it since. I might buy another one. Maybe.
½ March 25, 2007
Violent, sexist and stupid, Ninja Scroll is the sort of movie that gave anime its sordid reputation. The decent action scenes and retrospectively impressive (but now dated) animation keep it from being totally irredeemable, but Ninja Scroll's plot is just about the worst thing you're liable to see in anything you watch, not necessarily for the content itself but for how seriously it takes everything. Plus, the repeated rape is inexcusable.
December 9, 2009
This was awesome manga, I thought Afro Samurai was good well this is better is every way!! it looks amazing, so smooth and so well drawn despite being almost 17yrs old now!! (1993, has it been that long??)
It really is a great piece of art and anime, the voice work is great and better in Japanese with subs, some lovely character design, super sexy female heroine and the imagination on show is top notch, the one thing that I didn't like was it gets alittle too fanciful the further on it goes. I thought it was more of a realistic samurai style but its quite out there haha still great but afew too many unstoppable monsters perhaps. Really enjoyed this :)
deano
February 1, 2007
Incredible wicked cast of characters, extraordinary fight scenes and stunning Japanese anime. I like the ninja hero battling political chicanery, the power of evil, black magic and elegant, ice-hearted villains.
November 19, 2006
I'm not a big fan of anime generally, but this was amazing. Most anime makes my penis soft towards the very ending with a nonsensical lightshow, but I experienced no flacidity with Ninja Scroll.
Blaster1618
September 11, 2010
An anime classic. The animation is vey stylized but all the charcaters have great attention to detail, for example the mass of the charactor shift natually almost lile good rotoscoping (animation done by tracing over live action shots) but better. It starts out really good but slows down towards the end. I made a mistake watching this with my sons. The violence is unhinged from the beginning, when it got to the part where the Stone creature knocked out the beautiful ninja Kagero and rippers her clothes off and was licking her, I said boys this movies for Dada only. This movie is brutal in every sense of the word. If it was live action it would be NC-17+. A definite must see for adult anime fans
½ March 14, 2010
At first I confused as to what the hell was going on, once I got caught up, it was okay.
January 4, 2009
Great movie. What I love about MANGA movies is that their never shy to include sex or gratuitous violence, and Ninja Scroll is no exception. Its action packed, with great villains, a decent story, and wonderful animation.
May 24, 2007
One of the greatest animes EVER!
January 8, 2007
Beatifully animated movie, with balletic violence. Good all the way round.
RockabillySaint
½ September 8, 2006
Some of the best animation I have ever seen. Absolutely stunning in every aspect, especially for violence. Probably the most graphic and stomach turning anime I have ever seen, but it's just so beautiful you can't turn away. The English dub is so-so, but it just adds to its old school charm. This was actually one of the very first anime that started my Japanese/anime obsession way back when. Should be on every anime/ninja/samurai fan's Must See list.
½ December 13, 2013
Depraved, violent, awesome. Rewatching it made me realize how unique and well-developed the characters were, esp. the villains. Quite touching in a cheesy way too.
September 8, 2012
This is an awesome anime film and one that is worth all that it does. In this movie a plague has ravaged a village and no one knows why. Why the villagers try to figure what is going on, a group of ninjas from the feudal government investigate but are quickly killed by a creepy vicious warrior who works for one of the Seven Devils of Kimon. It turns out that there is something foul afoot in the feudal government with the Devils of Kimon and the Toyotomi clan of Japan. So, it leads a wandering swordsman Jubei, the last surviving ninja of the investigation team Kagero, and a government spy Dakuwan, to see what the Devils of Kimon and the Toyotomi clan are up to. In many ways as well, it becomes personal for all those involved. Good story, great characters, awesome animation, and great fight scenes that will keep you enthralled. If you are a fan of new and classic anime, you'll love this. 10 out of 10.
June 15, 2012
Ahh the beginning of my anime career.....Great anime for anyone that likes ninjas, fantasy style magic, or undead in their anime.....Oh the memories......
June 9, 2008
No offense Pixar and Disney... but Anime rocks. This story and its plot were as good as any you may find within the titles from Hong Kong Ocean Shore's video line of martial arts flicks during the 60s and 70s. "Last Stand of a Shaolin Monk" is very similar to "Ninja Scroll" ... and the mysticism of "House of Flying Daggers" is present all throughout this film. If you like Anime and Samaurais then rent this one for sure.
½ November 8, 2010
I loved it when i was younger, the action sequences are really beautiful but it doesn't really hold up story wise and i really didn't care about the characters
June 25, 2010
One of the most badass animated movies ever! Yoshiaki Kawajari has created his ultimate classic besides Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and the quite good Wicked City.

Here is such a gory as hell and unique cult classic that is inspiring and influential.
March 4, 2010
the plot felt weak to me. and oh, yeah, the heavy rape, nudity, and sexual themes were never mentioned in the reviews. I regretted buying it.