64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Northwest Passage Reviews

jjnxn
jjnxn

January 6, 2009
Beautiful photograpy and robust performances.
July 16, 2012
It's actually kinda graphic and might be seen as offensive to a few. The movie plays more like something out of the 50s or early 60s. It is in color with better than average cinematography and kinda preachy and a little campy like films of those times are. It is pretty gritty compared to most, though, and tells of an interesting period in history that is not covered in pop culture much (though liberties are of course taken - the combat is poor and the scale of the indian battle unrealistically large, and the costuming is also bad). All in all, the movie keeps your attention and is basically enjoyable, though it is not exactly intellectual. Sort of like a popcorn movie in today's terms.
jam233
February 5, 2010
Great old Hollywood style adventure film, rousing score and a terrific cast. Spencer Tracy and Walter Brennan stand out. Beautifully produced, excellent art direction and score. It's a bit long but the pacing is good enough to hold your interest.
starlett2005
December 4, 2011
Northwest Passage is an exciting film. It is about two men who join Major Rogers' Rangers as they wipe out an Indian village but do not find the soldiers or supplies when they reach Fort Wentworth. Spencer Tracy and Robert Young give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written with plenty of adventure. King Vidor did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and history. Northwest Passage is a must see.
May 28, 2011
As I remember it this movie is totally AWESOME!
jazza923
February 5, 2010
Woody
September 1, 2007
I vaguely recall seeing this movie as a youngster and being mesmerized by the adventure and wishing I could do something like joining Rogers Rangers and having fun adventures and fighting Indians... Oh how I've grown...

Watching this movie again today, I was shocked at how racial this movie is. The Indians are portrayed as lying, cheating, untrustworthy, murdering heathens. Never mind that we invaded their territory to start with. The saying 'the only good Indian is a dead Indian' could have easily been added as a secondary title.

Needless to say, the movie is tainted now from it's original showing in 1940. It's not surprising it's now shown much on TV anymore. The film isn't bad, Spencer Tracy is OK, and Robert Young is... well young.