Nostalghia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nostalghia Reviews

November 7, 2009
Away from his homeland Russia, Tarkovsky delivered this phenomenal masterpiece that is so wonderfully directed and has a most gorgeous cinematography, taking us in a beautiful journey into nostalgia, faith, frustration and man's longing to find his own path.
TheDudeLebowski65
July 1, 2014
A fine picture directed by Russian filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky, Nostalghia is a well crafted picture that should definitely appeal to fans of his work, this is a powerful picture one that is captivating from the first frame right up to the end, and it does it very well due to a strong sense of wonderful storytelling combined with powerful performances. The elements that make for a great Tarkovsky picture here, and he does great work behind the camera. The story is as usual simple, but Andrei Tarkovsky pulls it off very well due to a great visual style, which has always elevated his picture to fine art. Only a select few of filmmakers have delivered films like Tarkovsky has, and here with Nostalghia he crafts something quite good, and well worth seeing if you enjoy his work. The film is very good, and it is engaging from start to finish. Tarkovsky always manages to convey a sense of surrealism to every one of his movies, and here we have a film that shows us an eccentric, yet brilliant plot that stands out due to Tarkovsky's impeccable filmmaking. I've been a great admirer of his work, and he is able to craft something truly unique with each of his films and here he crafts something very good and is a must if you've enjoyed his work. Nostalghia is a fine drama that captivates from start to finish; this is a well crafted affair that is engaging, thought provoking and memorable from start to finish. Andrei Tarkovsky has never made a bad film or a mediocre movie, he was a filmmaker that honed his craft and expertly made terrific works of cinema, and if you're looking for a very good drama to watch, you'll find what you're looking for in this film.
366weirdmovies
June 29, 2009
A Russian poet in Italy researching a biography of a Russian composer experiences homesickness and ennui, and is asked to perform a ritual by a madman. Be warned: it's extremely slow-paced and dreamlike, including an almost 9 miute sequence of a man carrying a candle; but Tarkovsky's visual sense and ability to evoke a peculiar mood is unequalled, and will reward the patient viewer with a powerful cinematic experience.
arashxak
½ February 20, 2008
Poetic & has some beautiful scenes specially the final shot which is one of the most beautiful scenes I've ever seen but the whole movie isn't that great IMO
½ September 17, 2014
A beautiful, haunting work that stands with Tarkovky's best. Once again, Tarkovsky proves his mastery of cinema as a poetic art. I've yet to find a director whose images alone moved me to emotion. The end left me with a profound sense of melancholy but I knew what I had just witnessed would be en grained in my memory forever.
September 4, 2014
In order to fully understand Nostalghia you have to know a bit about who Tarkovsky was at this point in time. Basically he was something of a self exiled artist whose constant battle with the Soviet Union drove him to travel around (leaving his wife and son for a time), and completing his films in other countries. Nostalghia has a deep personal aspect to it similar to The Mirror, where the literal fog of memory and doubt runs rampant through beautiful switches in color and B&W cinematography. Tarkovsky just continues to wow me.
February 5, 2014
I am so glad to have read Vincent Canby's review, because, ad stated above critics and users overwhelmingly liked this odd, uneventful film, a travelogue, really, instead of am interesting narrative. The beautiful images drew me in, and the hope that something interesting would happen kept me going. I have no idea what may have been the intention of the film's screenwriter and director. Nothing much happens, but it sure is pretty.
August 22, 2013
Tarkovsky makes pretty images. And (based on this and STALKER) seems to have a fetish for pooled water in decaying buildings.
May 28, 2012
As with all of Tarkovsky's work, multlayered and obtuse, but this is also one of his most accessible films.
½ August 2, 2010
I had some serious trouble understanding this film. It's beautiful visually, and I thought I at times I understood it, but I never did. When it ended I felt pretty indifferent and bamboozled. I can't deny that the visual spectacle of it left somewhat of an impression though. First Tarkovsky film I've seen, and I can't say I'm terribly eager to see his other work if it abandons coherence as this one did.
½ September 3, 2008
another masterpiece. Domiziana Giordano wasn't my favorite, but she also didn't take away from this in the slightest.
July 10, 2008
The imagery is nothing short of amazing, as if Tarkovsky were painting with film. His long, slow tracking shots often leave figures on one side of the frame and mysteriously catch them later on the other side. The thing that completely confounds me is the significance of Eugenia, the translator. It's possible that she represents the more material, secular world that Andrei is drifting away from, but I might be grasping at straws there. I look forward to future viewings to give it more thought.
February 20, 2008
I've now watched four Tarkovsky movies and I completely respect his artistic skills, he has great sets and images. I know that he is slow and methodical in his directing but the end is so execruciatingly slow that if the candle went out a third time I was going to scream. So, respect the man but that does not mean I have to like everything he does.
April 11, 2016
Andrei Tarkovsky's "Nostalghia" is about as perfect as a film can get. Giuseppe Lanci's cinematography is stunning. Not to be missed.
November 7, 2009
November 5, 2015
Andrei Tarkovsky's "Nostalghia" is an incredible movie made by one of the greatest artists to ever live. It features some of the greatest cinematography ever pulled off and contains one of the greatest shots in film history (although, the same statement can be made of any Tarkovsky movie). The story is simple, but it's not the story itself that is so engaging but the connotations of many aspects of it. There is something about our main character that is so strangely likable and relatable, but I can't begin to describe why. I could go on for hours about how much I love this movie and Andrei Tarkovsky, but at the end of the day, I couldn't ever actually get to the heart of why I do. There's something that is so striking and emotionally charged about this film (and all of Tarkovsky's films) that you'll have to experience for yourself before you'll have any idea of what I'm talking about. Nostalghia's biggest downfall is probably how incredibly dense it is. I've watched this film twice and have been thinking about it for months and read all I can about it, but it's hard for me to say that I can understand exactly what this movie is "about". I have a strange feeling that that is what Tarkovsky wants though. Not to cause confusion, but reflection and thought.
½ September 1, 2015
Nostalghia is a glorious film that I cannot explain and did not fully understand. These are two of my favorite tools that Tarkovsky uses in his films. It feels like you are standing in the pond with the actors and walking back and forth, really part of the story. It is hard to believe that Nostalghia scored as my second to least favorite Tarkovsky film with should say more than any sentence I could write.
March 4, 2013
A lot of silence, & closing up/pulling away.
These are all kind of the same, aren't they? Long-winded, dreary, overly contemplative, lacking in story, beautifully filmed. Honestly, Tarkovsky is my favorite director. But the whole thing is starting to wear on me. Like, can you draw me in with an interesting plot? Rather than a guy walking back and forth in water, monologuing to himself about what's wrong with his life, over a span of 20 minutes, in which 3 lines are uttered?
There is a level of depth to it, but not as much as if the story was more interesting. Just so meaningless. Aims high, hits low. Style over substance.

"The meaning of water in his films isn't as interesting to me as the question of how his actors keep their feet reasonably dry...Mr. Tarkovsky also shows a new if unproductive fondness for the image with a dark door or a passageway in the middle of the screen. Sometimes actors walk in or out of those passageways and doors, but mostly we just wait and hope. Nothing happens."
May 18, 2015
Powerful Tarkovsky movie. I watched it twice. It has an incredible scene where someone lies down for a nap, and it's a nice rumination on insanity.
January 4, 2015
This is a visually outstanding, yet challenging film from Master filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky. Following a musicologist on a trip to Italy to further study a composer he loves, the trip transforms him in a way. There are several themes at work here, and I think each viewer may take something different away from the film. For anyone who enjoys thought-provoking cinema, this film is a must!