Nostalghia Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
July 1, 2014
A fine picture directed by Russian filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky, Nostalghia is a well crafted picture that should definitely appeal to fans of his work, this is a powerful picture one that is captivating from the first frame right up to the end, and it does it very well due to a strong sense of wonderful storytelling combined with powerful performances. The elements that make for a great Tarkovsky picture here, and he does great work behind the camera. The story is as usual simple, but Andrei Tarkovsky pulls it off very well due to a great visual style, which has always elevated his picture to fine art. Only a select few of filmmakers have delivered films like Tarkovsky has, and here with Nostalghia he crafts something quite good, and well worth seeing if you enjoy his work. The film is very good, and it is engaging from start to finish. Tarkovsky always manages to convey a sense of surrealism to every one of his movies, and here we have a film that shows us an eccentric, yet brilliant plot that stands out due to Tarkovsky's impeccable filmmaking. I've been a great admirer of his work, and he is able to craft something truly unique with each of his films and here he crafts something very good and is a must if you've enjoyed his work. Nostalghia is a fine drama that captivates from start to finish; this is a well crafted affair that is engaging, thought provoking and memorable from start to finish. Andrei Tarkovsky has never made a bad film or a mediocre movie, he was a filmmaker that honed his craft and expertly made terrific works of cinema, and if you're looking for a very good drama to watch, you'll find what you're looking for in this film.
November 7, 2009
Away from his homeland Russia, Tarkovsky delivered this phenomenal masterpiece, wonderfully directed and photographed, presenting a beautiful journey into nostalgia, faith, frustration and man's longing to find his own path.
366weirdmovies
June 29, 2009
A Russian poet in Italy researching a biography of a Russian composer experiences homesickness and ennui, and is asked to perform a ritual by a madman. Be warned: it's extremely slow-paced and dreamlike, including an almost 9 miute sequence of a man carrying a candle; but Tarkovsky's visual sense and ability to evoke a peculiar mood is unequalled, and will reward the patient viewer with a powerful cinematic experience.
arashxak
½ February 20, 2008
Poetic & has some beautiful scenes specially the final shot which is one of the most beautiful scenes I've ever seen but the whole movie isn't that great IMO
May 28, 2012
As with all of Tarkovsky's work, multlayered and obtuse, but this is also one of his most accessible films.
½ September 3, 2008
another masterpiece. Domiziana Giordano wasn't my favorite, but she also didn't take away from this in the slightest.
½ June 1, 2007
I think that this movie is very personal. It's a magnificient confession of an artist, and this is not meant to be understood. So enjoy it the way you want. You can find soo many symbolic, but you don't have to... It's fantastic with or without it.
January 20, 2007
its a raelly cool movie about a poet. i thought sometimes it was silly tho. but its a really cool movie 2 watch. u ese ppl kissing. its abtu a madman whose longed up. u acntj ust wach iw/ o thinking!
December 13, 2006
Unparalleled even in Sacrifice is the mystic path that Tarkovsky, as Russian Orthodox believer, presents in two scenes of poetic power and intensity that I have not yet found replicated in world cinema. Here you see Tarkovsky finding spiritual center, experiencing fractured identity, and embracing his path - in Sacrifice I found more Tarkovsky the magician, in a kind of nostalgic revolt, whereas here I see him more in the Now, strangely enough given the title . . .
½ August 26, 2006
the final scene is one i will never forget. Tarkovsky may appear to meander but he is so so intentional.
May 18, 2015
Powerful Tarkovsky movie. I watched it twice. It has an incredible scene where someone lies down for a nap, and it's a nice rumination on insanity.
September 17, 2014
The imagery alone makes this a film of considerable note.
½ September 17, 2014
A beautiful, haunting work that stands with Tarkovky's best. Once again, Tarkovsky proves his mastery of cinema as a poetic art. I've yet to find a director whose images alone moved me to emotion. The end left me with a profound sense of melancholy but I knew what I had just witnessed would be en grained in my memory forever.
September 4, 2014
In order to fully understand Nostalghia you have to know a bit about who Tarkovsky was at this point in time. Basically he was something of a self exiled artist whose constant battle with the Soviet Union drove him to travel around (leaving his wife and son for a time), and completing his films in other countries. Nostalghia has a deep personal aspect to it similar to The Mirror, where the literal fog of memory and doubt runs rampant through beautiful switches in color and B&W cinematography. Tarkovsky just continues to wow me.
December 6, 2013
Bela fotografia e poucos e bons diálogos,Tarkovsky gosta de plano-sequência, por isso eu gosto dele.
August 22, 2013
Tarkovsky makes pretty images. And (based on this and STALKER) seems to have a fetish for pooled water in decaying buildings.
June 10, 2013
Nostalghia is both an opaque film, as well as an astounding personal requiem for Andrei Tarkovsky. Shot while in exile from the U.S.S.R., the film finds Tarkovsky's brining up themes such as homeland, and heritage. The film is filled with his trademark long shots, and detailed interpretations of nature, both murky and beautiful. It's not his most memorable or genuine though, as he used similar cinematic tricks in other films, but it's a finely crafted later film from one of the most pre-eminent Russian film makers.
March 4, 2013
Russian men rarely love women. They love Russia.
November 21, 2012
I think I'm going to need some time to digest this masterpiece. Definitely needs a re-watch. Epic cinematography.
November 15, 2012
Difficult to understand but wonderful nevertheless. Tarkovsky has never disappointed me...