Not One Less Reviews

December 4, 2010
Do you have a heart that beats inside your body? If you do, then you will like this film. It starts out a little slow, but gets better in the middle and ends with a powerful climax. Yimou Zhang direction is perfect. He just simply tells the story, and it looks great. There is no ego, or fancy editing. The kids in this film are about the cutest things I've ever seen, and are very true to life. In fact, all of this film is very true to life......and like life, it can be beautiful and sad at the same time.
February 6, 2012
Lovely film about a teacher's mission to ensure that children are still educated when he is challenged with a personal responsibility for a month.
January 23, 2010
a 13 year old substitute teacher for a very poor village school, goes to the big city to look for one of her students, they experience lonliness, begging for food. good movie, rent it!
June 9, 2007
This was a really touching movie. While the substitute teacher first makes her journey based on greed alone, both she and the missing student realize how much they miss one another. Their plight is finally picked up by the press and it not only reunites them but helps the suffering village. A real heart warmer.
December 18, 2007
One of the finest movie to come-out of mainland China. Moving. Touching. Funny. Endearing. Wei Minzhi is a real discovery!
Unforgettable.
July 7, 2007
A Chinese film sensation that swept through the United States. Obviously better than the average US film, but not that great in Chinese movie standards.
April 4, 2007
Wonderful!! It was one of my first foregn language films. I was 10 then. Engaging and beautiful. It's a must see. Great plot and acting.
½ March 25, 2007
My Chinese teacher in high school showed the film to the class...and just sat there, I think he could hear our silent tears.
½ November 13, 2014
This is a small film. It's probably intended for a domestic Chinese audience. We have a 13 yr old middle school student brought to a small village school to substitute teach for one month. She has no training. She takes the job on the promise of payment. Very young, primary school students have been dropping out to work. These children appear to be about age 10, some younger. She is promised an extra payment if no other students leave while the regular teacher is gone for the month.

One boy does leave for a nearby city to look for work. His widowed mother is ill and in debt. The family needs additional income. The 13 yr old teacher sub decides to go find him and bring him back. The movie details her trials and tribulations.

The film is mildly interesting. It is set in the 1990s. The contrast between rural and urban Chinese is explored. Our heroine displays extraordinary dedication and effort to finding and retrieving her wayward student.

There is an uplifting tenor to the movie and our young heroine as a whole.

It was an OK trip to the flics.
January 15, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
November 15, 2008
I watched this movie way back without realising this was by the Yimou himself. It was an impressive and touching film. It really is a film that takes time to enjoy and its ramifications are always at the end. a moral tale and a beautiful one too.

Watched this again. Heart-warming and striking film that displays the massive changes happening in China during that period. The blow-out of globalization and capitalism and the ensuing vulgarity and misery for some is wonderfully displayed in this film.
½ April 17, 2013
A substitute teacher, a missing student, and a promise that all students would be accounted for when the regular teacher returns in a month. What follows is a teenager's persistence in the face of what seems like insurmountable odds. From a tiny country school to a teeming city, the 13-year-old teacher searches for her most frustrating student, which is all a part of a larger message about the plight of education in rural China.
March 27, 2013
One of my 'absolute favorite' movies. A ' must see' for all those working in development work and education!

Dr Ravi JAYAKARAN
December 14, 2012
"Not One Less" greatly succeeds in depicting the country life of many remote villages in China. It gives great perspective and insight into the lives of a young woman and her class, and shows the hardships undergone in order to recover an estranged student within the class. It also helps demonstrate the hardworking nature of Chinese folk, city and country folk alike. The attitudes of the characters do a superb job in painting the hardships of life in the country and city. The film demonstrates the triumph of the human spirit and is a true testament to diligence and courage. "Not One Less" succeeds in where most western films about China fail, to paint a pure and genuine picture of China, without the sugar coated sweetness of Hollywood. The raw emotion depicted by the actors only enhances a genuine, quality, pure film, if you want to learn about life in China, this movie couldn't help you any better.
½ May 29, 2012
This is a very solid Chinese film. Many people complain about the propoganda involved, but I didn't notice it watching the film.

I just saw a very interesting character study into rural China and it's education system.

Huge props to the cast, all consisting of amatuers, for bringing this film to live in an extremely servicable fashion.

See this film. It's definitely worth it.
August 12, 2011
it is a very touching movie
March 21, 2011
What we love about "Not One Less" is not just that the film endeavour us into the heart of rural education, but its amazingly sincere and natural performances.
March 12, 2011
if you like happy/sad/tear jerkers/kids and china watch it!
February 11, 2011
Being poor is difficult for the children in this film .A different life from the children in North America.They would find lessons for living a fuller life. A beautiful film so well acted.Colored chalk says it all.