—— Transcendence Apr 18

The Notebook Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 14, 2007
Although this movie has accrued much acclaim by critics and fans alike since its release, it has yielded no positive impact on the world of film or society in general. It has led a generation of young women to believe that there is a Noah for all of us, and we deserve to be just as "misunderstood and rebellious" as Allie. "The Notebook", along with other popular rom-coms, has left most girls with a muddled line between fiction and reality. Though Nicholas Sparks may be talented as a fiction writer, it is only because he knows how to manipulate the female mind into an emotional puddle. Aside from the beautiful Southern setting (a Sparks trademark) and Ryan Gosling occasionally sweaty and shirtless, this movie provided not only no relatability for me, but also did not provide even a fictitious escape. 1/2 Star Updated 09-28-13
thmtsang
thmtsang

May 26, 2007
I'm not one for soppy romantic movies but this one pulls at the heart strings. An older gentlemen reads a story to an elderly lady in a nursing home. The story is about two teenagers Noah and Allie who meet one summer and fall in love. Allie's parents are well to do and Noah is poor. They fell out and Allie's parents send her away to school and they don't see each other for years. Noah writes to her every day for a year but there is no response. They try to move on with their lives but something draws them back to each other and they pick up where they left off. It reminds me of 'Fried Green Tomatoes', there are good and bad things that happen but it all comes good in the end. Excellent cast and story. Ryan and Rachel make a good on screen and off screen couple. Kevin Connolly plays Fin, Noah's best buddy. James Marsden plays Allie's dashing new society beau.
Eugene B

August 22, 2008
The adaptation of Nicholas Sparks' novel is possibly the best interpretation of all. Gosling and McAdams really make the film better than anyone expected. The visualization from Nick Cassavetes places this film atop one of the most memorable, cult-like, romance films of all time. 4.5/5
Red L

March 4, 2007
I think the way you rate this movie depends on how much of a romantic you are. Unfortunately, I am a hopeless romantic, so it gets a 3 1/2 stars - even though it overplays on the viewer's emotions. I believe this was the first time I saw Rachel McAdams, and to me, she is the best cast member.
Jason R

March 30, 2010
Finally saw this movie, and I have to say: I get it. The plot was about as formulaic as you can get for a "star-crossed lovers from two different worlds" story, but there's an irresistible charm about the setting, the direction, and, of course, the acting. My cynicism melted -- only a bit and for a brief time -- but it's that brief feeling of teenage idealism that elevates The Notebook and makes it special among a crowded and an often "gag-me" genre.

So yeah, I get it. I'd prefer to watch The Avengers for a third time, but I get it.
Saskia D

August 1, 2007
I'm not really a fan of romantic movies, but for Ryan I will make an exception of course. Were it any other actor I would probably be bored to tears. McAdams was OK, but not convincing. Gena Rowlands is so cute with James Garner.
A happy-sad story.
Kase V

April 20, 2011
'The Notebook' may be a sappy drama, sometimes ridiculous, sometimes boring...but the assuring performances and heartening story propel the film ahead of others like it. The script can be silly sometimes too, but its mishaps are easier to ignore when Gosling or McAdams are the ones delivering them, two well-accomplishes actors. 'The Notebook' is flawed, an yes, it is target at a female audience...but anyone can find entertainment in a solid story with good acting.
Shawn E

April 4, 2011
A cliche romance that does not live up to it's massive hype. The connection between the two narratives is easily figured out in advanced, and the relationship between the two characters is hard to believe. It's a film for a certain type of audience, and director Nick Cassavetes makes all attempts to wring every tear from that audience.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 13, 2011
The Notebook is a very good movie, a fun movie, but at times a boring movie. What seperates this from other chick flicks is that this is told throuh the eyes of a man who tells the relationship with him and his wife over many years. The plot was fun a original and actually good, but at times very slow. The cast was great, I think Racheal mcAdams deserved more praise but thats just me. A slow movie, very slow, but overall becomes one of the best chick flicks ever made.
Albert K

September 7, 2011
I don't remember too much about the movie but other then the fact that the drama was wayyyy too forced. Cliche after cliche and overall, was not interesting enough to keep me entertained.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 28, 2011
Ever since the release of this film, there's been nothing but praise about how grand the story was and such. The passionate kissing scene during the rain storm made it in the top ten best on screen kisses or something like that. I never really was interested in watching this, and I felt it was overhyped. I thought that it would be one of those films where the hype kills the film, I was right. There's nothing extraordinary about the film. The has a really good story, yes, good acting as well, but its nothing close as to what I would expect from such a hyped film. I thought the films story lacked slightly and thought it was good, it was nowhere near the masterpiece that every mainstream critic claimed it to be. I liked the film somewhat, but it lacked the power of real love stories such as Memoirs of a Geisha and Atonement, those films were terrific in making the audience believe the chemistry between the two characters that are involved. In the case of The Notebook, I felt that the film was good, definitely not a masterpiece and that the film could have been something memorable, but instead it's just an average romance film with decent acting from its actors, and there's some impressive names attached to this film as well. Could their talent elevate this film to masterpiece? No! The Notebook is good, but it's not what everyone says it is. Worth watching at least once, but if you're looking for a grand romance epic, you won't find it here. A good film, but nothing grand or epic.
Eric A

August 9, 2011
Every girl's favorite movie! It's pretty touching, coming from a dude.
murphmann93
murphmann93

July 6, 2008
There are not enough words to describe how amazingly beautiful this film is. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling are an unbelivablely gorgeous couple and if you haven't seen this film, you have not lived! If this doesn't make you cry, you don't have a heart.
deano
deano

October 23, 2006
Heartwarming romantic movie that gives your insides go mushy with emotions. This is the bestest love story I have ever seen! The result is a beautifully produced version of Nicholas Sparks's book.
The movie gallops in speed as we are absorbed into the great plot and brilliant acting of all the cast involved. Ryan Gosling is brilliant as the shy and quiet Noah, and Rachael McAdams is superbly beautiful as Allie. The other cast members were outstanding, including James Garner and Gena Rowlands in the parallel story.
Director Nick Cassavetes does an exceptional job of presenting the story without any sappy or phony elements that would have made the film cheap and predictable.
Nadira I

October 25, 2010
I don't know why rotten tomatoes' critics don't like this movie, but it is a love movie for everyone (men or women) and shows what the true meaning of love is. I am pretty sure many boys have seen this one because it is so precious. It is probably the best love story ever told by Nicholas Sparks. Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams at their best. Not to be missed. This movie is very moving and we will remember it forever. It is one of my favorites of all time.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 1, 2010
To say this movie is horrible and unenjoyable is completely unfair. It is in fact highly enjoyable and touching. However, there is a bit too much sap for me.
flixsterman
flixsterman

December 28, 2008
I grew up with a father that was sociopathic on his best days and psychopathic the rest of the time. Being at home with him was a miserable, miserable existence. I think God, in his mercy, compensated me by giving me the most wonderful grandparents that ever walked the earth.

Leonard and Loretta fell in love in high school and ran away to get married in 1943, just before Leonard was drafted into the marine corps at the tail end of WWII. They eventually had six children, the oldest of which was my father. In 1962 I came along as the first of what would eventually be 16 grandchildren. Their farm was my sanctuary whenever my dad went on one of his rampages. I loved it there, never a harsh word, never a hand raised in anger, and as much laughter as your gut could handle. THAT was how a marriage should be, that is what a HOME really is. About five years ago my Grandfather passed away from a stroke. My Grandmother, who was in the early stages of Alzheimer's when he died, followed about three years later..At the end she had forgotten all sixteen of us grandkids, she even failed to recognize her six children, but she never stopped looking for my grandpa. Right up to the end. In fact, I'm pretty sure the last word she ever spoke was "Leonard", I know it was the last word I ever heard her say aloud.

The Notebook, in all it's sappy glory, took me back to that farm, if only for an hour or two, and reminded me that happily ever after isn't always just in storybooks and screenplays - its elusive, its rare and its possible.
Spencer S

July 22, 2008
It's a great love story and all, but I just don't believe it deserves better recognition than that.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 5, 2007
although the film rests on some cliches, it throws curves at those cliches often enough to remain fresh. sentimental but romantic, im not sure the film has enough to justify its iconic status, but this is a very good film and one of the best date movies of its decade. this is the kind of film that inspires greater romanticism and dedication to a loved one, and anyone that is married could learn from noahs commitment.
erika250
erika250

February 26, 2010
One of the best love stories ever made.