The Nude Bomb (The Return of Maxwell Smart) Reviews

December 24, 2008
The original series ran from '65-'70 and this movie was made in 1980. It's not very good, but better than the remake with Steve Carell in my opinion because it maintains the humor and style of the original. The characters and concepts were created by Mel Brooks and Buck Henry so that should give you an idea of the type of humor. Evidently the producers wanted The Nude Bomb title and plot line, but some of the writers from the series had other ideas. The writers weren't allowed on set to prevent them from suggesting changes, but I think if the writers had been trusted more the movie could have been better. It's a PG movie, the nude bomb was hardly worth it. James Bond obviously became popular in the 60's, but there was a lot of spy fiction to spoof. The Pink Panther movies did the same thing with the same sort of pratfalls, non-sequitors, and bad puns. Then there were the Naked Gun movies and Austin Powers continuing to spoof spy adventures. But I was most surprised to realize that the 80's cartoon Inspector Gadget, which I grew up with, is basically a carbon copy of Get Smart from a couple decades before. Don Adams plays the same bumbling detective/agent character with often defective gadgets built into everyday items or on his person. The evil organization, how he completes his missions, a running gag about an agent that can hide in any object, it's all the same. Just do a couple minor cosmetic changes to a few supporting characters and the Get Smart formula got a second life for a few years in the 80's. If you liked the original Get Smart series or the cartoon Inspector Gadget, this probably won't blow you away, but you'll enjoy yourself for an hour and a half.
November 20, 2012
I've actually wanted to see this movie for some time, but it's been kind of tough to find. Now that I've seen it, I have to say that it was definitely NOT worth the wait. They did not "up the ante" at all when they made this movie; it looks and feels exactly like an episode of the TV series, except in widescreen and without the laugh track to let you know when what you just saw was supposed to be funny. Apparently they thought the other people with you in the movie theater would laugh at the right times and help you out... no such luck when you're watching it on TV. And there's no Agent 99, the Chief is a different actor... heck, the spy organization isn't even called CONTROL (it's called PITS, for goodness sake). Really, it's a disappointment. The only thing that even makes it worth watching at all (almost the only thing that connects it to the TV series, really, outside of the cheap production values) is that Smart says each of his signature lines ("Missed it by that much", "That's the second biggest _______ I've ever seen!", "Would you believe...", etc.) at least once.

I wonder.... was this whole movie just conceived as a very long advertisement for the Universal Studios theme park?
½ December 23, 2008
This movie was just too funny but on the same hand it was suspenseful as well.
Good movie!! I would tell my friends to go see it in a second.

Kind of a silly, goofy, Maxwell Smarty type movie.. (1980)
But well worth the watch, If you are into old movies like I am. Hey..Give it a go, what have you got to lose besides a little time. :)
½ June 25, 2008
If you loved the TV series, you'll enjoy this, but if not, you probably don't want to waste your time.
November 22, 2007
BOOM!! EXPLOSIVELY, FUNNY, WELL DONE! EXCITING!! WITH DON ADAMS AND SEVERAL CAS FROM THE CLASSSIC GET SMART! GREEEATTT!! MOVIE!
½ November 9, 2014
***Due to the recent RT changes that have basically ruined my past reviews, I mostly only giving a rating rather than a full review.***
February 1, 2014
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
September 10, 2013
I haven't seen this movie in ages. When I saw that it was on Netflix Streaming, I had to watch it again. Bomb is right. This movie is terrible, A total disappointment for all fans of the original Get Smart from the 60s. This movie is so bad, it makes the recent remake with Steve Carell look good.
½ May 26, 2012
Somewhat amusing, but I'd never say it was bad, even though it didn't stay true to the show, and weakly to the spirit of the show. It was fun, but will never be considered as good as the show.
½ March 28, 2012
Done Adams is really the only saving grace in this horrible film made to some what cash in on the success of a great series.
½ January 12, 2009
THE NUDE BOMB (1980)
June 18, 2011
Yea, its bad... Love Don Adams, but its bad.
½ June 11, 2010
This movie is awful.
½ December 12, 2009
This movie is actually, dare i say it, funnier than "Get Smart". This over the top comedy will have you laughing all the way through. I think the only reason why people dont like it, is that they want something more sophisticated. Well, too bad for you, because the BEST comedy, isn't sophisticated.
9 out of 10.
½ December 9, 2007
Would you believe this is a funny movie? Mel Brooks is corny, but for some reason this movie worked for me even more than when it was first released in 1980.

The years make this movie more like and Austin Powers movie with it's 80's shtick and the driving desk is funny -- I completed forgot about it.

Many good laughs and chuckles in this film and I really enjoyed seeing it again. I recommend it to anyone that is a Bond/Austin/Brooks fan.