17% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Nuns on the Run Reviews

Anthony L

September 25, 2009
Eric Idle & Robbie Coltrane make a great pair of crooks hiding from the Mob dressed as nuns. It?s a classic! Eric Idle in drag is shockingly similar to my Gran, God rest her soul!
Dean !

June 12, 2007
An ok comedy as 2 bank robbers go undercover as nuns.
garyX
garyX

May 14, 2007
Typically of British comedy, this film take two very funny men and drops them into one cliched witless situation after another in the vain hope of making the audience laugh. The result is the usual unfunny schmaltz and two middle aged men running around in drag. Ho ho.
deano
deano

February 1, 2007
Like Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis in the Billy Wilder classic Some Like It Hot, Eric Idle and Robbie Coltrane are motivated by fear for their lives to dress in women's garb. They make a wonderful pair of dumbbells, both in and out of their habits.
DrLappos
DrLappos

May 27, 2007
The above synopsis is wrong. This film was witty, funny and well acted by all. Loved it and bought it.
September 28, 2006
saw this and after looking at robbie's prolie page i realized he was Hagrid... and its like omg..lol.
The Critic
July 15, 2013
The plot might be very simplistic, harking back to the days where comedy was just about physical gags, but 'Nuns on the Run' is very much a laugh-out-loud ride with a peppery soundtrack that adds excitement to the chase sequences. Likeable Eric Idle and scene-stealing Robbie Coltrane share terrific chemistry here, with the cute Camille Coduri as the accidental third member of their team. There's also fine support from Janet Suzman, Lila Kaye and Doris Hare as nuns in the convent. Lots of fun from beginning to end.
DickyBird
March 20, 2013
This film is not a complete loss, thanks to the two leads. Its as lightweight as it suppose to be and let's leave it at that... and remember--- Spectacles, Testicles, Wallet, Watch.
July 11, 2012
was better in the 90's when I was a kid.
July 7, 2012
Robbie Coltrain one of the Main stars of Nuns on the Run is best know for his Harry Potter Films but he is a bit of a GAY icon weird I know but it all started when he went drag in the gay CULT classic the Fruit Machine about too gay boys on the run totally unrelated btw lol.....

.Nuns on the Run It was a good aspect but it is unsure what it wants too be a Gangster Film or a Comedy ... but I must say the last 20 mins it picks up and is quite funny with all the running around and car chasing.... I would of Loved a Sequel but that will never happen in a million years but the fact they moved too RIO in Brazil would of been a fun Movie too do...... All though when filming Nuns on the Run the director of the moive had the fun Loving "Some Like it Hot" in mind (also about 2 guys on the run who resort too drag)... but he did not follow through and it is far cry from some like it hot

Possible Sequel:
Strange as it May seam impossible there was talks of a second one as infact this movie was such a box office hit money wise they really considered it I even think they managed too write a script for it .........XD

My Personal Guilty Pleasure Rating: is 4/5
My Mainstream/Professional Rating: 3/5
November 2, 2010
One of my fave comedies & a perfect Sunday evening movie!
paul t.
February 23, 2011
this was one of the best british comedy films of that era and is still funny, love this film!! good example of a bye gone era of british comedy.
Colin Oakley
December 6, 2010
Wanting to quit their life of crime and fearing their boss Casey is going to kill them, bank robbers Brian Hope and Charlie McManus (Eric Idle and Robbie Coltrane) decide to double cross their employers and steal a large amount of Triad money so they can start a new life. When the plan goes a bit wrong and the cops arrive on the scene, the pair seek refuge in the first place available... the local convent.

How anyone could mistake these two men as a pair of ugly, ugly nuns I don't know, but somehow Brian and Charlie are able to pass themselves off as Sister's Euphemia and Inviolata, respectively. It takes them about ten minutes to be fully settled in within the convent, despite having no documentation to explain their arrival or a reason for being there. Nevertheless, they're soon teaching the school girls (18-22, nubile, legal) about the bible and how to slam dunk a basketball whilst wearing a habit.

Something of a guilty pleasure classic on many levels, this 1990 film makes great use of Yello on its soundtrack. The previous decade had seen the near ubiquitous use of their song 'Oh Yeah' in Ferris Bueller's Day Off and The Secret of My Success (now of course better known as the theme for Duffman on The Simpsons), but here we have the use of Yello's 1988 song 'The Race'. Not just once, not just twice; this film is totally comprised of chase scenes, so it's constantly played and thoroughly addictive. Just listen to this once and I promise you'll have it in your head for the rest of the day.

Nuns On The Run is one of that special group of 80's classics (alright, this was 1990) made by Handmade Films, along with Withnail & I and How To Get Ahead In Advertising. It's a particular kind of farcical humour that only us British can get away with. To see two well respected comedians forced to drag up...honestly, it makes you proud. As well as Robbie Coltrane's letcherous Sister showing locker room etiquette Hogwarts certainly would not approve of, we have Eric Idle as a (gulp) romantic leading man. On top of waiting for the all clear so they can bugger off with the suitcases loaded with money, Brian also needs to make sure his ditzy girlfriend Faith is safe from the gangsters and the Triads.

Not only is Faith a bit annoying, she's a serious liability, constantly getting into scrapes because she's virtually blind without her glasses. WELL DON'T TAKE THEM OFF THEN!!! As is her destiny in life she gets herself shot, leading to a heroic rescue attempt by the Nunned up pair. Unfortunately for Brian and Charlie, their slightly effeminate but still slightly threatening mob boss Casey has figured out their rescue plan, and is going to try and catch them and get his money back (or as the poster has it, his $1,000,000. How they stole dollars in central London from a bunch of Triads, I don't know).

Nuns On The Run is pure cheese that has its best joke is in the title, but I can't help but love this film a little bit. It's wacky in stupid in all the ways that would probably make me hate a different film, but in the hands of Coltrane and Idle it's quite a charming little romp. If it's gender-defying-undercover-roles-played-by-desperate-comedians-looking-to-further-their-careers that you're into, I'd rank this film somewhere behind Mrs Doubtfire but way ahead of Big Mommas House.

So there you go. I didn't even mention Sister Act once... Shit.
kingofthecorn
May 20, 2010
(** 1/2): Thumbs Down

There are some very fun moments here but not enough for me to recommend the film. A near-miss.
Becky F.
April 26, 2010
A nice little British gem.
Travis M.
December 26, 2009
It's about what I expected, which isn't very good. I wanted to be able to get a couple of good laughs out of this one, but I just didn't.
Robbie D.
October 16, 2009
This movie needs to be watched at least three times but no more. Any viewing after three can kill you from laughter. The danger comes from the fact that the number of laughs grows exponentially with each view (If you don't know what exponentially means, stop. Don't watch it.)

By the time you get to a fourth viewing, you will laugh to the power of 4. (Three stands for the trinity, and you better stop there!)
jazza923
October 1, 2006
5.5/10. Too silly for my taste and hardly enough laughs. But there are laughs, just not often enough. Not very convincing, far fetched. So-so writing, sure could have been a lot better.
laurfrmn
November 14, 2003
Was looking for Nuns On the Run. this is my favorite movie. It deserves a 4 star rating as far as I'm concerned. Eric Idle and Robbie Coltrane are hilarious as an inept gangsters in this 1990 film.