The Object of My Affection - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Object of My Affection Reviews

½ May 20, 2014
Jennifer Aniston made some interesting choices in taking movie roles in the nineties, before she became queen of the agitating awful rom-coms. This indie comedy, about a social worker and her gay roommate, shows them having a strained relationship while also dealing with their own love lives. I'm torn on whether or not I genuinely like this film, because the characters are enjoyable to watch, and the way they maneuver between the blurred lines of sexuality is interesting, but the way sexual orientation is depicted leaves me cold. So many films have tried to characterize sexuality as a spectrum that involves men who are gay experimenting with women to a point of domesticity. This was done successfully on "Will and Grace" and the same concept was exploited in "Gigli" but to an outside observer it rarely makes sense. Here, at least, it's clearly defined that George has no interest in a sexual relationship with Nina, and just wants to help her raise her child, but Nina is unaware, which tilts perspective. This film handles its characters' motivations rather well and shows the dysfunction in their relationship with aplomb, but it would be great for once to see a gay man and straight woman be friends without the added drama of sexual tension. Otherwise it's a sweet little film that explores modern day relationships and their many layers.
½ August 6, 2007
This glossy, unusual romantic comedy is great with the appealling cast including Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd.
½ May 21, 2007
A pretty good movie, though I did feel a bit disappointed in the end but it was the proper way to end it I suppose. Good to watch if you're in the mood for something emotional I suppose.
½ May 29, 2006
What starts out as a fairly basic story turns into a complex love story and then ends up as a mess.
½ August 6, 2007
Cool movie.
June 11, 2014
I love both of them, but I didn't care much for this movie. I thought it was slow-moving, boring, and a little corny.
½ February 9, 2012
Interesting topic, kinda a love it or hate it film. It's really cute and Aniston's performance was great. It's just a cute little film to watch. The reference to singing in the rain blew me away!!!!! I love it
August 15, 2006
I'm a sucker for Paul Rudd. And romcoms. And films which star Friends alumni.
February 22, 2008
i make a habit of seein anything starring paul rudd i find him hilarious, an alright movie
April 12, 2007
A favorite.
August 16, 2010
It's a cute enough RomCom with a rather interesting and uncommon end-twist (though the majority of the plotline's near incredulous) - but the film's best recommendation is that it yields up numerous small and subtle glimpses of Aniston successfully breaking away from her Rachel Green stereotype.

The year prior to this film, in "Picture Perfect" (1997), Aniston essentially reprised her one-note Rachel persona. And it wasn't until four years after this film, in "The Good Girl" (2002), that viewers finally see Aniston deliver strongly in a role that vastly differs from Rachel.

Before "Good Girl," many "Friends" viewers likely assumed Aniston was actually quite like Rachel, a subtle testimony to the quality of Aniston's ability. Here in this film, astute viewers would have seen it coming, that Aniston > Rachel. Aniston here delivers certain lines/scenes where her character isn't anywhere akin to the more superficial Rachel - a Nina who is truly distraught, truly cold-hearted and sharp-tongued, truly confused and torn.

Unlike "Picture Perfect," where Aniston had to share the limelight with an endearing performance by Jay Mohr as her love interest, Aniston owns this film lock, stock and barrel. Most of the time where she's paired-up with, and pining away for, the gay-thus-unattainable Paul Rudd, he's so awe-struck and over-shadowed by her half of the work, he looks as though he's a deer caught in headlights.

Most of the other deliveries are all but forgettable; veteran Alan Alda guffaws his way through most of his little bits, adding little - and almost looking the buffoon.

RECOMMENDATION: RomCom fans will enjoy the film for what it is at face-value, but it's this first slow reveal of Aniston's true range that makes for the more interesting viewing.
November 27, 2009
Paul Rudd is the boy I wished lived next door. The issues about The Object Of My Affections was explored well. And it's a tragic human fact that the one we love does not become the significant other, because it's damn hard to be compatible when everyone owns his own matrix of preferences. Pual Rudd's natural innocence shines in this story which makes him so adorable and attractive.
½ February 8, 2009
I love Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd together, it's a great movie, but I was so frustrated and sad for them the entire time, I couldn't really enjoy it!
June 25, 2008
This is one of the few J.A. movies I actually like. I would have preferred a different ending but for what it was it was ok.
April 20, 2008
I liked this one a cute comedy/romance of a women who falls in love with a gay man played paul Paul Rudd.
½ March 11, 2008
Great movie. Pretty sad too. I wish that they were together at the end but it didn't.But he went for that dude.
March 7, 2008
Love this movie! So sad at the end. I really hoped they would get together. It's sucks that he was gay though! lol
½ July 29, 2007
yay! this is a good movie, the ending isnt exactly how i wanted it but it was still a good ending. JENNIFER ROCKS!
September 26, 2007
One of my other favorite movies. The love triangle is well done by all they players. It is emotional and could be a true setting and I think it probably was. You make the best out of a weird situation. Someone needed a place to stay and you think he is safe because he is gay. That is usaually the case and still is. He fell in love with anther guy and she fell in love with a cop. All three end up in each others lives and share the life of the baby that was born. It is a sweet romance and check it out if you can.
September 15, 2007
this is a fantastic movie on many levels. Think what you want about Jen (and I don't think much) but she's always cute and she always picks great roles. Paul Rudd's a perfect match.