O' Horten - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

O' Horten Reviews

½ October 11, 2010
I thought it would be a funny little story about a guy having a hard time settling in to retirement. But not so much. It wasn't funny, aside from one scene with an adorable little boy and for the most part it was boring. It had the potential, it just let me down in a really slow, painful way.
gor41
September 26, 2009
Typically melancholic meditation on retirement encased in a meandering plot where the lead bumps into a host of eccentrics who aid his introspection. Slight but not without charm.
½ May 9, 2009
The retirement of a train driver provides more philosophical musings from Scandinavia with a touch of dry humour. Some nice cinematography and scenes of Norwegian life, but this isn't really an attention grabbing movie, just slow, light entertainment.
Harlequin68
½ August 24, 2010
"O'Horten" is an odd little movie about an unassuming man named Odd(Baard Owe). Living alone, the only person he feels a connection to is his mother(Kari Loland). Turning 67, he is retiring from his job as a railway engineer. His plan is to fly back after his last run but oversleeps in a room not his own.(Long story, trust me.) Even after that, he continues to wear his uniform. And after watching life pass him by for so many decades, he has not decided what to do next which leads him on a series of low key adventures, shot in a deadpan style.

In the end, "O'Horten" has little else to say on the subject of retirement and growing older except the light at the end of the tunnel may not be an oncoming train. However, the film does have a well-crafted message about how women should be allowed to compete in ski jumping. If you have the cojonoes to perform in this sport, then gender is totally irrelevant.
July 18, 2010
Off-beat tale that moves very slowly. Odd Horten (Baard Owe) is forced into retirement from his long-time job as a passenger train engineer and finds a host of small adventures to fill his days and nights. He seems to operate without any clear sense of what he wants to do with the rest of his life, but reacts to each improbable situation as it confronts him. There are many scenes that defy explanation and are almost surreal. In the end, it seems to say that the journey is more important than the destination and that sometimes there simply is no destination. And that is alright, too. Quirky characters, a loose script that seems at times to have no clear sense of direction, and the frigid, stark scenery of winter in Norway combine to give the film an almost dream-like quality at times. Each item taken by itself would doom most films but work together here to create a tapestry, revealing a man seeking to break out of the strict routine of his former life.
lesleyanorton
½ February 22, 2010
Odd Horten is a just-retired Norwegian train driver coming to grips with a life that was mostly filled with, well, being a train driver mostly. A slow paced film (if you've seen KITCHEN STORIES by the same director you'll know how fast it moves) but even if nothing much happens, it glows iwith a reassuring demonstration that yes, there is life after 67 (should you be lucky enough to reach it) and gentle solitary lives too have their merits.
mingsysar
May 29, 2009
Where's the point? It could've been the acting, directing or editing, but there was something a bit off about this film, or collection of vignettes more like. I suppose each action, situation or decision had something deep and meaningful behind it, but I'll be damned if I knew what it was. The whole film felt like an amateur exercise, where there are lots of ideas but they just aren't delivered. I could've done with more explanations, more obvious meaning and more characterisation, just... more.
½ July 7, 2011
odd, like the main character here is complelling and watchable but slow & plodding the main character is fascinatinting
July 27, 2010
Because. A story of where we find ourselves, where we remember ourselves, where we...where we must, for ourselves.
½ July 26, 2010
A wonderful character study. Wonderful acting, beautifully filmed, and a lush score. I really didn't want it to end.
July 18, 2010
O'Horten instantly became one of my favorite films. It was, in fact, so charming initially that I was worrying the rest wouldn't live up to it, but every moment rolls out so placidly. From the moment you see Bard Owe's small smile light up his face, how can you not be hooked?

O'Horten is a lovely combination of the usual and the unusual. It's so easy to pick favorite moments or images... From Odd falling asleep next to a kid who caught him sneaking through his apartment to get to the one adjacent, to the man he literally met in the street, and whose last minutes were spent driving in the early hours of the morning with a hat streched over his face, to the businessman casually SLIDING down the icy slope of the empty road to get to his destination.

It's so touchingly, profoundly understated, this little film. It contains some similarities to "About Schmidt" (another favorite movie of mine), certainly, but is at the same time a very different piece.

Everybody who likes movies should watch O'Horten. Even if Odd doesn't like the limelight.
½ July 18, 2010
Though lacking a consistent pulse, O'Horten manages to provide a complicated theme using simple techniques, and in doing so, it effectively connects with its audience.
July 18, 2010
O'Horten (2007) "La nouvelle vie de Monsieur Horten" - France. Wiki state that director Bent Hamer is "acclaimed" but he has only made 3 movies. This is not a great movie or masterpiece but still a very interesting film from Norway. Its a comedy and slice of life look at a man who has been a train engineer for 40 years and is retiring. The night of his retirement he becomes entwined in series of incidents outside the normal scope of his life. Odd Horten (Bard Owe) - "Odd" is a common Norwegian name - is a 67-year-old train engineer at the end of his career. He is timid and a train engineer living by TIMETABLES. His life timetable gets out of whack. It is a comedy but really delves into kind of existential journey at the end of his retirement. His journey through these odd incidents is somewhat reminiscent of the boys' journey in Satyricon and also similar to the film with odd incidents After Hours. These incidents are strung together with no real time frame or chronology. While he is timid and a loner most of his life these incidences connect him with lives strangers he meets who have lives stranger than his own, Horten discovers a gift for attracting the unexpected he never knew he had. He also manages to reconnect, however tentatively, to humanity, and realizes that life can be a strange and satisfying journey if we give it half a chance. The film is comical with fantasy and some melancholy and a bit odd. Also has a eccentric score by Norwegian artist Kaada. The production and cinematography were excellent The movie really succeeds on most levels and is really pretty entertaining. Not a great movie but a success . For all it's potential melancholy, though, "O' Horten" is a tremendously cheerful movie. The jokes are frequent and funny, tremendously droll. Odd and the rest of the characters are tremendously charming, and the message is ultimately pretty upbeat. It's a real treat. Three or four stars.
July 18, 2010
A very involving movie, and amusing in some places. A man, Odd Horton, ( Bard Owe) confronting mandatory retirement, finds himself at a crux - what to do after abruptly ending his 40-year career as a train driver. There are many instances of humor, one involving Owe forced to wear a pair of red high heeled shoes out of a public pool facility when he can't find his own. The nicest part of the film is his eventual get-together with the lovely hotel owner who has been keeping him fed and housed for these many years as he passes through her town. Suddenly the possibilities are vast for a life together. A really good movie which incidentally shows the beauty of Norway.
vh
July 18, 2010
Odd Horten is a 67-year-old Norwegian train engineer who's being forced to retire because of his age. I assume that "Odd" is a common Norwegian name, but it's probably no coincidence that it suits him equally well in English.

Odd is a very quiet sort who has almost nothing to say, even at his own retirement dinner (where his colleagues stand and salute him by rotating their right arms to simulate the wheels of an old fashioned locomotive and then simultaneously pull pretend whistles and let out a collective "whoo whoo" sound). Yikes.

Odd lives alone in Oslo with his bird and relaxes by smoking his pipe and drinking a beer or two alone in the pub. He keeps in shape by swimming and visits his elderly non-verbal mother regularly. Though he's pleasant enough with those he encounters, he appears to have no actual friends.

O'Horten (no clue where the O-apostrophe comes from), follows Odd in the days immediately following his retirement. Though I'm sure the intent is deadpan humor, I found several scenes to be more uncomfortable than amusing.

Odd's troubles begin the night of his retirement, when a broken door buzzer leads him to scale external stairwells and scaffolding in an attempt to reach a party in one of his colleague's apartments, before he's eventually caught by a little boy while sneaking through his family's apartment.

Next comes another emotionless scene which has Odd attempting to meet up with a man who works at the airport in order to sell him his boat. He's shuttled back and forth from one gate to the next, is picked up by airport security for standing in the middle of a runway, and ends up being strip searched when a sniffer dog singles him out for scrutiny.

Finally, Odd falls asleep in the sauna of the local gymnasium and doesn't wake up until after it's closed for the night. He goes for a nude swim, only to have a couple of young girls who don't realize he's there jump into the pool and start making out. Once safely back in the locker room, he discovers his shoes are stolen and he's forced to go home in a pair of red pumps.

Maybe I just don't get Norwegian humor, but for me, watching the hapless Odd go from one awkward situation to the next isn't funny; it's squirm-inducing.

Fortunately, it isn't all like this. When Odd is allowed to simply live his life and interact with people without being placed in contrived, embarrassing situations, the film is much more interesting and enjoyable.

The truth is, I wanted to like O'Horten a lot more than I actually did. I loved the character of Odd. It's just a shame that the writers felt the need to so disrupt his normal life for what I can only assume was meant to be the audience's amusement.
½ July 18, 2010
I think I really like movies that portray people in their older age. I love to see what happens when they have a complete change on their life's routine at a point in life when most people think life is almost over. It gives me a lot of hope to see that you can start a new life even if you are sixty or seventy, that you can still find love or move to a different country or start doing something totally different. I also like character, nostalgic, and meditative movies. Their idea of examining someone's life is something I enjoy watching. Mainly if is well accomplished. I also love movies which scenes are shot against a snowy background, all that white gives them a texture that really appeals to me. Really good movie, with nice pace and good performances. Somewhat slow for people who likes action.
July 18, 2010
O'Horten is a lovely movie because it seems fantastical without really being odd. Most of what happens is well within the realm of reality, but there's a magical quality to it, perhaps because of the minimal dialogue. There are some really beautiful moments, especially the ending. I love the parallel of Horten and the meteorite, and the scene following the freezing rain features great visuals.
July 18, 2010
Very well acted and a great story, but sometimes it's very slow moving. Well photographed. I am glad I saw it, but it's not a movie I would watch again.
½ July 18, 2010
I saw this film in a very old theater in Montgomery, Alabama. I am not from here and never would have imagined that O'Horten would be shown anywhere in the state of Alabama. I apologize to the city of Montgomery for the stereotyping. I recently traveled across Norway so perhaps seeing the sites of Bergen and Oslo again colored my judgement a bit in O'Horten's favor, but I don't think it impacted it much. This is just the film to see to recover from the silliness of Transformers 2. It rolls by slowly and calmly. What does a just retired locomotive engineer who has lived his life by strict schedule do now that he has no schedule? Meet a bizarre set of Norwegian eccintrics and discover who he is minus the train schedule. Enjoy.
October 5, 2009