93% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

One Crazy Summer Reviews

AJ V

September 6, 2010
A hilarious movie from Savage Steve Holland, director of Better Off Dead, which also starred Cusack. This movie is a bit more goofy, but it's got a good story and a lot of quirky characters, and I loved it, it's a perfect summer comedy.
Nicki M

August 16, 2008
Though I love 80's movies generally, this is not a favourite. There are a few laughs to be had, mostly from the sister with the dog, but much of it is just stupid. It is so stupid that I can never even follow the plot properly on this, and I have seen it more than once (lucky me). Demi Moore does not help.
movieguru12
movieguru12

January 30, 2008
I love this movie. It was a great early film for John Cusack and Demi Moore. Bobcat Goldthwait is hilarious as the Stork twin Egg. Jeremy Piven is also another thing to enjoy in John Cusack films. Just love it! I enjoy it every time I watch it :)
James A

March 5, 2006
One of the only 80's moviesto improve over time.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

September 3, 2008
A love a good/cheesy 80's flick and this one has all the makings...good cast, fun premise.

Sadly, it falls short and is painfully bad in every way.

Perhaps if it were 1986 and I was 18 and totally stoned...it would have made me laugh. But as it stands, the only thing it generated from me was the occasional "how on earth did this get made" moan.

One sympathy star, for John Cusack.
deano
deano

November 16, 2006
Craziest and funny, and the rhino cartoons are quite good.
mingsysar
mingsysar

August 23, 2006
Crazy 80's fare lifted from boredom by Cusack and the cartoons.
September 7, 2009
One of those fun 80's movies I hadn't seen in a good long while; gave it a re-watch on cable last night.

This holds up rather well, though some of the slapstick caught me by surprise, as I didn't remember the film all that well and wasn't prepared for the pratfalls and what have you. All in all, this is a funny flick that's worth another look if you're a fan of the talent involved, especially Cusack or vintage Demi Moore.

Give it another look.
December 4, 2011
July 20, 2011
One Crazy Summer is a cult 80's classic with all the trappings of an 80's movie. Dorky everyday and eccentric cast takes on rich white people evil types to save something by beating them at their own game. Throw a montage in there and some really bad 80's music and wala!! Well this has a bit more to it. The goofiness is on a whole other level. Not a crude movie, but still crazy, fun, and funny. Bobcat telling the story of the fat kid still cracks me up. This was Bobcat at his best. This stuff was way more funny to me as a kid in the 80's, but still a blast to watch. The animated moments are also really well done. Fun stuff and great for the Summer.
Ken D

November 13, 2009
Not too original, as this reminded me a lot of 80's movies that had to deal with bullies while facing insurmountable odds to win and get the girl. But what makes this comedy different was that there were some very strange moments and characters as well. These weren't cookie cutter characters that a lot of these movies had. The cast was great. I will always remember Bobcat Goldthwait's performance, but just about everyone else in this was pretty good as well. Kind of a different movie.
May 22, 2009
one of those movies comedy central plays when you're bored at home during the summer. not worth watching.
November 12, 2008
Meh, wasn't really that good. Cusack plays the adorable awkward guy, per usual, Armstrong cleans up vs. his RotN role, and Demi Moore plays Demi Moore. The storyline tries hard to mimic other 80s movies (dorks trying to have a good time vs rich arseholes that want to ruin that good time) with the underdog coming out on top. It just lacked the magic it's predecessors had.
yodalewis
June 4, 2008
Another great Cusack movie. I didn't like Demi Moore in it. Jeremy Piven is laughable when you look back at his role.
March 22, 2008
Two words best describe One Crazy Summer--Stoner Flick. The movie is not a direct stoner flick. But it borders on being one despite a compelte lack of reference to drugs, alcohol or sex, and profanity. Having the likes of Bobcat Goldthwait (Police Academy franchise), Jeremy Pven (PCU, Serendipity, Entourage), and Curtis Armstrong (Revenge of The Nerds franchise) is proof positive of what to expect from this story.

The whole story revolves around Demi Moore's character trying to save a house on Nantucket Island from being demolished to make way for a seafood restaurant. In the process, it becomes rather similar to a certain movie by the name of Summer Rental which came out during the 80's as well. The movie starred John Candy, who decided to take part in a local regatta race so he and his family could stay in their rented summer beach house for free.

That being the case, the entire movie is rather cliche, while somehow managing to be funny throughout. It is definitely a Summer movie, no pun intended, or even a movie for fans of the "old days" of movies.
anotherwhitemeat
February 2, 2008
This was the second pairing of Cusack and Savage Steve and it works, but to a much lesser degree than Better Off Dead. But, then, most films are of a lesser degree than Better Off Dead. This one is most memorable to me for the scene between Babcat Goldthwait and Curtis Armstrong, in which Bobcat tells the sad story of a chubby kid that got picked on. When Curtis asks him if that chubby kid was him (which it clearly is) Bobcat says, "No! No! But I used to beat the shit out him! 'Why are you so fat?'"
April 28, 2007
If this is what summer's are like in the Northeast, then im game. Demi Moore is lovely, Bobcat is hilarious, and John Cusack work well in the company of either one. One of the best high school movies of the 80's....dolphin with rabbies, nice!!!
October 28, 2007
My favorite sight gag in any movie ever is when they're walking along the beach and two different tides come in, from both directions.
StaisilD
July 15, 2007
It's a very amusing and eminently likeable teen comedy that doesn't stoop to bad taste gags or gross-out schtick for its laughs and relies on its very eighties feelgood charm to win you over. Bobcat Goldthwaite is hilarious, Cusack is good, Demi Moore is Demi Moore. As goofy as this movie is, it's also a must have for anyone who is either a fan of 80's movies, or just happens to have a sense of humor.
September 1, 2007
Ahh, the 80s. One of those "we gotta save the youth center movies" where the nice but nerdy bunch square off against the inexplicably mean jocks, but with boats!