One Night at McCool's - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Night at McCool's Reviews

December 8, 2009
A really bizarre blend of comedy and brutal killing. I was truly not expecting the turn of events in the movie. However, it falls short of actually having any purpose besides showing off Liv Tyler. It has it's moments, but in the end it is just a forgettable comedy.
middleeasternfilms
June 5, 2008
Despite the pretty good cast and acting, this movie about a love-and-murder story told from different points-of-view is only average at best. I expected more and was seriously disappointed.
thmtsang
½ September 22, 2007
A dark version of There's Something ABout Mary, where all the guys fancy the same girl. Except Liv uses this to her advantage to get what see wants. Good cast.
garyX
May 19, 2007
Liv Tyler doing her best Jessica Rabbit impersonation stars as a vampy femme fatale who beguiles every man she meets by spontaneously turning into a photo shoot from FHM magazine, and wackiness ensues. A promising cast fail to save what is essentially a film noir spoof that unfortunately is totally lacking in wit and any measure of subtlety. What starts off as a kind of Elmore Leonard style comic drama suddenly becomes some kind of Rashomon (or Jackie Brown) homage in which the same story is told from three different perspectives, and ends up as tacky farce involving comedy bondage gear and a shoot-out to the strains of The Village People. It's heavy handed, vulgar and more than a little misogynistic, and you'd be far better served watching Grosse Point Blank or Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang instead.
½ September 21, 2006
Strange cast, mixed with weird love triangles or is it love squares...whatever...and Michael Douglas.
Naughtia
½ May 14, 2010
This movie has some really great actors and some really funny scenes. There is no denying that Liv Tyler looks extremely hot in this movie. I liked this movie because its not much like the other movies I'm used to watch and I'm also a huge fan of both Liv Tyler and Matt Dillon, both their characters were great. If you're in to a bit weird black comedies, you probably would like this movie.
iLeo
December 25, 2007
Great!
November 5, 2007
It gets three stars only because of how hot Liv Tyler is, not because it's a good comedy.
mingsysar
March 1, 2006
A little disjointed but smart and funny. Douglas is brilliant but disturbing. Tyler is outstanding. A weird and black comedy.
½ January 22, 2013
Its a bad sign when your cast includes Andrew Dice Clay AND Reba McEntire... but to have Paul Reiser be a headliner? Oh shit...
½ January 22, 2013
A movie that's beyond better than advertised. How do I still not own this movie? Great, great fun. And an awesome soundtrack.
March 5, 2012
A film that insults the audience intelligence by exclaiming one thing: Liv Tyler is HOT! (which is so true, but in this case not so good.)
December 31, 2006
It's fun to stay at the YMCA! Couple times caught myself picturing Bruce Campbell in Matt's role. Douglas' pompadour wins! Liked the Falling Down tip o' the hat. Can't believe it took me so long to watch this on the DVD.
November 30, 2009
** (out of four)

I'm sure this film looked much better on paper than it turned out. Masquerading as a dark comedy, the film never succeeds at the attempted coolness.

Three men (Paul Reiser, Matt Dillon, John Goodman) all meet up at a bar named McCool's. There they see a sultry woman (Liv Tyler) that would affect all of them.
½ January 16, 2009
Lame...some intrigue with the film noir style, but was too over-the-top with the action and plot sequences,,,
October 13, 2008
I really liked it, it was funny and the cast was great. Also a plus Liv Tyler was exceptionally hot.
½ September 10, 2008
December 14, 2007
Tyler may be good enough for the part but it's not good enough for her - she comes of as a bitch more than anything. So if we can't see what these guys see in her, how can the movie work? Goodman's really the only convincing argument, and outside of Dice and Reba's amusing supporting roles, there isn't any justification for the first two unfunny acts. And if you didn't all ready hate Paul Reiser...
½ June 20, 2008
I caught this on Starz a couple of days ago and really liked this film. I love dark comedy and Liz did a great job.
June 10, 2008
Pretty good movie. Another of those where the story is retold from several points of view. Liv was hot as hell. Dice was great as usual.