• Capoeira

40% The Killing: Season 4

Only the Strong Reviews

Megan S

March 7, 2010
Definitely a 90s movie, no more, no less. A good action flick overall. My major problem was the way that the bad guy talked...his voice was terrible, I couldnt take him seriously, I just laughed every time he was on the screen.
EightThirty .

August 26, 2007
Cool Randomm Movies....Check It Out ^_^
deano
deano

March 28, 2007
Mark Dacascos makes a fantastic performance as a world-class, martial arts champion pits his strength and know-how against juvenile gangs and teaches them self-respect. The martial-arts sequences using the Brazilian Capoeira techniques are exciting to watch, and the story, though predictable, is well staged and well acted.
chadroesti
chadroesti

June 15, 2007
Mark Dacascos does this triple lindy like spin kick horizontal to the ground - cool shit!
March 7, 2012
This movie may have been a bit unbelievable when you get into it, but the introduction the fighting style of Capoeira is what drove the film to its cult status among martial arts movie buffs. weak acting and story line did not help, although if you can get past that, you might agree that the capoeira style fighting can draw you in at least. Lame story - Pretty cool fighting. Give it a try.
April 13, 2010
This movie follows the "new teacher helps the underprivileged inner-city kids" movie plot you've seen 100 times. The difference? This movie is all about capoeira, a Brazilian martial arts style that involves moving, kicking, punching, and flipping to the beat. Sound silly? You're right.

In this movie our protagonist is Louis Stevens, played by Mark Dacascos, whom you know from Iron Chef America. I literally laughed for a solid minute when I realized that not only does he try to get away with playing a Japanese man on TV (He's from Hawaii), but he only knows basic capoeira. Which means that they taught him just enough to do this movie in which he is supposed to convince all of us that he is a capoeira mestre. Anyway, Louis gets shipped back stateside after his tour of duty in South America and the first thing he does is go back to his old high school. He discovers that it has been overrun by unruly children and frightened teachers. Sound familiar? So he is about to walk away when a fight breaks out right in front of him. He quickly breaks it up and finishes it mestre style. This leaves everyone at the school so impressed that they throw a teaching job in his face, obviously. He was ancient history 5 minutes ago, so he must be our savior now right? Not everyone is convinced but they are quickly swayed by the only good looking member of the cast who just so happens to be Louis's old heart throb. So there we are. The give him the keys to a busted down firehouse and throw the 12 worst kids in school his way. Of course he has them actually working together and listening to him within a matter of days. That's when his student Orlando says screw you mister and bails on class. Being an idiot, teachy goes into a basketball court full of thugs and asks him why he skipped class. He doesn't get an answer but instead gets a face full of foot from Orlando's gangster cousin who also happens to be a capoeira mestre. The rest of the movie is a struggle between good and evil. A struggle between two capoeira mestres locked in the heat of sweaty, rock abs McPeckerson tough guy fighting antics.

Why should you watch this movie? You shouldn't. It's a very predicable movie. You know right from the first time the villain is introduced that he is going to go down somehow. Plus, Louis isn't exactly a good example for kids. According to his methods it's ok to ...
1. Let kids fight each other in class.
2. Solve your problems with potato sacks full of violence.
3. Ignore everyone else and go it alone whenever you feel like it.
4. Take revenge when it's yours to take.
5. Destroy property.
6. Goad the toughest people in town.
7. Return confiscated weapons to kids.
8. Play favorites.
9. Walk away from your problems.
10. Seduce women by threatening to make then walk through a thunderstorm to get home.

This movie was made to teach us that there is another way to reach the lost youth of America. Duh, that's easy. Incentive!
aloneinneb
November 11, 2008
seen this one awhile back and loved it. it only proves that one man can have an effect on the younger kids and get them to stand up for themselves and for friends. great acttion and i do recommend it to those who like the martial arts and want to see a different style.
cradleoffilth700
September 17, 2008
its a good well rounded martial arts movie i like it be couse what disipline can do for people and also u rarely see this style on film
September 7, 2008
this is a good movie some loose ends in there but all in in all its good and the dance fight style is something that i do know
ladykimalinn
June 25, 2007
MY FAVE MOVIE!!!!!!!! i absolutely love it...i could never find it on video though, to rent or buy....sucks. but yay!!
formerlysomeonesleep
June 23, 2007
I like this movie cuz of the actor, Mark Dacascos, he is so hot! Plus I like martial arts and the story plot is actually cool.
March 28, 2007
paranahue...
Not sure if this was the first
Dacascos movie i ever saw, but it certainly made me a fan
March 13, 2007
Cheesy, but the only martial arts movie devoted to Capoeira. Worth watching if you're generally interested in martial arts, and required viewing for fellow Capoeistras.
zohnii
February 28, 2007
high rating for a unique fighting style, Capoiera (not too many films out there with it). Rating would be higher if the acting was better.
Spades178
January 28, 2007
I liked the movie, but the thing that got to me was that, it seemed like people out of nowhere studied capoiera, like coinsidently the uncle gang leader of a kid learning from a capoiera practitioner. But all in all i thought it was a good movie with good fight scenes and beautiful display of the martial art.
stormwolfstone
July 2, 2006
This movie was absolutely one of the most riveting movies I've ever seen that dealt with the turf war between a teacher who was fighting got his students right to be able to freely recieve and education and get drugs out of the school. His teaching of Capoera was interesting and addictive. I watched many times and found myself constantly attempting to move along with it, learning on my own. However, it hasn't quite happened.
tso05001
May 16, 2006
I love the capoeira in this, the music is great and there are some muscular men in here, I cannot complain.
korbeljones
May 27, 2006
One of Mark Dacascos best movies plus this is the movie that inspired me to learn the Martial Art of Capoeira
January 29, 2014
A surprisingly entertaining film that is able to ride the balance of being made well enough to stay interested and bad enough to be funny. I also found the fighting styles in the film fascinating. This is definitely worth a watch if your into martial arts films.