Osama Reviews

½ September 5, 2010
Holy cow this is not a film to watch if you want a feel-good movie! The horrible life that these women (young and old) had to endure in this country boggles the mind. It's an amazing insight on a whole entire different culture that needs to never ever flourish. Very well done film. Very depressing though.
May 31, 2010
The first Afghan film since the fall of the Taliban, Osama is a harrowing story set during a dreadful regime that seems to have existed a long time ago, only it's been just a few years since it came to an end. A disturbing, moving piece of work that has the importance of a historical documentary.
½ August 4, 2007
A miserable look at a girl named Osama living in the Taliban as a boy; what a crappy existence, but a well-made film.
February 6, 2012
Succeeds where Kandahar doesn't in depicting the plight of women in Afghanistan under the rule of the Taliban.
October 21, 2008
I can't stop raving about this movie to everyone. It is so powerful and so beautifully executed that I can't stop thinking about it ever since I saw it.
banzaibrother
August 24, 2009
Good movie, but I didn't like the way it ended. But that doesn't take away the great acting performance of Arif Herati. Her character Golbahari is told by her mother and grandmother to disguise herself as a boy so she can get a job and bring home the bacon. But in the process...she's recruited by the Taliban. Does her secret and disguise work? You'll have to watch to find out.
mvieaddict
½ May 4, 2009
There was no need to give an account of the plot of the film, the simplicity of the brutality that was brought upon the Afghan people by the Taliban did not need many words to convince anyone.
Writer/director Siddiq Barmak had put non-professional actors to bring the tale to life. All of them did a remarkable job, especially young Marina Golbahari, who captured the terror of her character with such precision.

This film was a warning that there must be no more regimes such as the Taliban in Afghanistan. I hope this film will wake up people around the world to demand that women should have equal rights just as man, and to dress however they pleased no matter what country they live in. That's my opinion.
jimbotender
September 5, 2008
A must-see not for the real background but as Ophuls once said,"happiness is never happy"....contradicting?A shocking statement for the western community to open those blind eyes.
iLeo
½ December 27, 2007
The first time I've seen this, I cried. It's an interesting film!
½ June 28, 2011
So significant. A beautiful film about antifeminism in the middle east. The cinematography is striking and filled with symbolic motifs and parallels with the characters and the culture they find themselves inhabiting. The realism is what makes the story even more intense - knowing it is further from fiction and shockingly close to what has actually happened.
September 25, 2010
This movie speaks to your soul. There's just a deluge of sadness that gushes towards you from watching it, but also rage. I'm angry at myself for being so useless on this side of the world while a whole generation of women are being mistreated in the middle east. How can it be that miserable? In the end, I'm left with many thoughts of empathy, regret, and a bit of gratitude. I'm thankful that this movie was made so others can see the social injustice happening in the Taliban controlled parts of the world. Definitely a must-see, although it will break your heart.
½ March 17, 2010
Outstanding, well directed and very moving film. This Afghan film is the first for director Siddiq Barmak and what a great job. The acting is truly fine by Marina Golbahari, Zobeydeh Sahar and Mohamad Aref Harat. Part of the appeal of the film is a glimpse into the lives of the people who live and experience the turmoil in their homeland. Touching and inspired.
September 30, 2009
I completely understand this movie's power and meaning, but I wasn't feeling it. The protagonist was literally risking her life whenever she stepped outside, but I swiftly became fed up with her. I never sympathized because she was too whiny. However, I liked the conclusion. Not because I'm a sadist, but because it made sense and packed a small punch.
March 28, 2008
Deeply saddening. Let me reiterate, however, that the regime portrayed in this picture is the complete opposite of the true teachings of Islam.
½ July 31, 2007
great story. i can't believe all that she had to go through. didn't care too much for the ending though
½ July 16, 2007
The magnificent use of hues of blues, the composition and music makes this story of women's courage a cinematic masterpiece
½ April 7, 2007
Shows a side of the Afganistan conflict in personal terms and shows what the Taliban really was, a terrible scorge on the earth.
½ April 6, 2007
Pretty horrific portrayal of what people have been going through. Well made and shocking, if somewhat depressing.
½ September 11, 2006
Such a great movie. So touching and very very well done. People will hate it cuz they're dumb and think everything that comes from the mid-east is evil and that because the title is Osama they'll think it has to do with bin-laden, not realizing it's like John over there.
½ July 30, 2006
There are few movies that make me want to jump up and beat the hell out of someone. This is one such movie. Astounding performances and timely storytelling.