The Other Sister - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Other Sister Reviews

½ January 11, 2012
Good acting and even entretaining, but The Other Sister present a strong sentimentalism and an embarrassing way to use the mental problems as a good plot.
½ September 8, 2007
The puppet strings are readily apparent in this manipulation by Garry Marshall, but the puppets themselves, Lewis and Ribisi, are charming enough to fill the time.
½ January 15, 2011
One of the most pleasant movies made about the mentally retarded people. It had that 'celebration of life' kind of feeling to it. Every time I hear 'Animal Song' this movie just pops into my head. The video of the song was a perfect testimonial to this movie.
jjnxn
June 20, 2007
How does juliette lewis ever get work?
April 12, 2007
I saw this a few years ago and remember enjoying it. Unfortunately Giovanni Ribisi did such a convincing job playing a handicapable person (compund this with his performance in The Gift) that I'm now convinced he's retarded. I expect him to go into that mode every time I see him.
½ November 7, 2006
Lewis does a wonderful job.
February 7, 2012
Horribly annoying.
½ April 28, 2007
Such a sweet movie. I wish I had written it.
Naughtia
May 15, 2010
This was a very touching story about a mentally retarded girl who wants to grow up to live a life like any other normal girl. Her mother is very protective and doesn't believe that her daughter can make it on her own but she keeps on proving her wrong. She gets to move to her own apartment, gets a boyfriend and begins going to college against all odds.The actors were great and made this movie very believeable and sweet. I really loved this movie and wouldn't hesitate to watch it again. Superb.
January 18, 2008
Nothing I had not seen before, but still OK.
January 20, 2008
A bit overdone but there is some genuine heart to this.
January 3, 2009
This movie was really cute. It made me sad to see how people treat those who are mentally challenged.
May 20, 2008
Great acting in this chick flick. I love giovanni ribisi, he is such a talented actor.
iLeo
½ April 16, 2007
Love it!
January 6, 2012
One freaking long movie. Can there be a longer biography about the "other" sister? IT was good, but just dragged.
May 15, 2010
Oh gosh, I remember my sister used to watch this when I was young but I really enjoyed it. It's so cute and amazing. I haven't seen it in awhile but came across it, so I seriously just had to review it. If you have not seen it, WATCH IT!
June 22, 2006
When screenwriters write films about children or the mentally challenged, the difficulty seems to be the same thing - the "aww" factor takes over. Both end up being mere entertainments for us. This completely dehumanizes them and makes them *characters*, not people. That is the trouble with this movie. The dialogue is too cutesy and saccharine to be taken seriously, and although the main character demands we treat her as a person, the movie fails to see that it isn't treating her like one, either.

I'm not sure whether it makes it better or worse that every character was written like this. They are all clearly there just to serve the script's purpose, not because they actually are characters in and of themselves. Even Diane Keaton, who is a very interesting actress, can't save this film. She's forced to play a character who, from the evidence, is quite possibly bipolar... or at the very least emotionally unstable. She switches emotions faster than [insert punchline here of whatever you want].

This movie is a collection of nonsensical sappy scenes and is at the very least mildly offensive in its refusal to explore Carla's actual personality. Instead it just shows us a bunch of cute "aww" moments that are ineffective if we don't care about the people we're watching. It might possibly rate half a star, but I've decided to be gracious and give it a whole one.
½ November 27, 2009
Great movie! Wonderful film to learn about children with disabilities. Sweet, touching, fantastic story! Beautiful & meaningful.
½ October 24, 2009
Touching film that deals with some serious subjects and shows a lot of heart in doing so. I though the acting was great and am not sure why this movie gets put down by so many people. It's a great movie about overcoming obstacles, hope and leaves us feeling thankful for all that we have.