• PG-13, 1 hr. 43 min.

In a word..lame.
3niR
3niR

May 8, 2011
Yes, it was funny. But, it was a bit too much as well. Very predictable and corny at times.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 10, 2010
Cast: Forest Whitaker, Carlos Mencia, America Ferrera, Lance Gross, Regina King, Mimi Michaels, Hayley Marie Norman, Anna Maria Horsford, Natalina Maggio, Lupe Ontiveros

Director: Rick Famuyiwa

Summary: Forest Whitaker and funnyman Carlos Mencia butt heads as two domineering dads forced to set aside their culture-clash differences and team up to plan their children's wedding, with only two weeks until the big day arrives. America Ferrera plays the pregnant bride-to-be opposite Lance Gross as her medical resident fiancé in this wacky comedy.

My Thoughts: "There where only two funny things in this movie and that was Anjelah Johnson and the goat. The rest just felt like I had already seen it. Which is where the movie 'Guess Who' came into mind. The same concept, just not as funny. I am surprised at how bad it was considering some of the cast that is in the film. But it really was just a waste of a rental."
Chris G

July 19, 2010
After a weekend of good films (three in a row) I was treated to this horrible mess of a film. I don't need to discuss the plot because you know the plot. There is nothing new here. It's called Meet The Fockers. Watching this film will steal a piece of your soul. Not a large piece, but enough that you will notice. The script is a mess. Every character in this film must be bipolar by the way they change attitudes toward each other on the drop of a dime. The acting is shit and the cast includes a damn Oscar winner. Forrest, do not pull a Cuba Gooding, Jr. Please, for all that is holy!

I can't write anymore. In closing, the script, direction, and acting is the equivalent to a third grade play about Transformers and Bakugan. This review almost sucks as bad as this movie. Please, don't get suckered into this one.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

March 8, 2010
This movie was very good, I laugh alot on this one. Story is more of the same but I give it props because it was funny and made time pass for me to distract me.

"Our marriage, their wedding." It's lesson number one for any newly engaged couple, and Lucia (America Ferrera) and Marcus (Lance Gross) are no exception. In Our Family Wedding, they learn the hard way that the path to saying "I do" can be rife with familial strife. When they return from college and too suddenly announce their marriage plans, they soon discover that their fathers - two highly competitive over-the-top egos - can wreak a major amount of havoc on their special day. With insults flying and tempers running high, it's anyone's guess if the alpha dads (Forest Whitaker and Carlos Mencia) will survive to make it down the aisle in one piece. Lucia's mother (Diana Maria Riva) is busy planning the wedding of "her" dreams and the only levelheaded one in the bunch is Angela (Regina King), the groom's father's best friend and lawyer, who manages to keep her cool when the madness reaches a crescendo. With only weeks to plan their wedding, Lucia and Marcus soon discover the true meaning of love and find there is truth to the saying - that when you marry someone, you marry their entire family.
Apeneck F

March 16, 2010
cute though predictable "us versus them" take, reinforcing racist stereotyping with "comedy"! isn't that something? america ferrera and regina king almost rise above this quagmire of stilted whilst forrest whitaker and carlos mencia, forced by plot to wallow in it, manage to do so w/o making you upchuck.
Hawaiianguy2991
Hawaiianguy2991

April 12, 2010
This film has been done before, many times and better. Director not sure where to go with it, comedy or commentary. Cheap gags, racial stereotyping, some honest moments (not many) but they seemed to have slipped by instead of being intended. Actors seem to be truly embarrassed by the whole thing like I was. Our Family Wedding is formulaic garbage.

Story: D+
Acting: C-
Direction: D
Visuals: C
Overall: D+

*1/2 out of 4 stars
Fascade F

August 22, 2010
Hysterically delightful with an overload of laughs. A must see especially for those about to get married or for those who are already married. See this...it may be a trip for you down memory lane...or for those who are about t take that trip...what to expect...BEFORE you say "I do!" At first I wasn't interested...but for the heck of it I did...and I wasn't disappointed at all. See this!
Dannielle A

July 22, 2010
A cute, funny modern day spin on "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" but not as good. It was predictable but still feel-good and light-hearted. The best line is when when four black men are sitting at a street cafe joking around with each other. One of them is singing obnoxiously and his friend says, 'Stop it, you're scaring the white people."
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

February 5, 2011
Lucia (America Ferarra) and Marcus (Lance Gross), are a perfectly nice and seemingly happy engaged couple until they have to introduce each other to their respected families-both of which are of different ethnicities. Choosing the engagement dinner to introduce the households, Lucia and Marcus are unpleasantly surprised to discover their fathers (Forest Whitaker and Carlos Mencia) are already familiar with each other due to a prior disagreement. With both families forced to compromise their traditions in order to accommodate the other, the fathers' participate in a game of one-upmanship, fire racial insults at one another forbidding the marriage and Lucia and Marcus learn the hard way that the path to saying "I do" can be rife with familial strife.
Erin C

March 18, 2010
This movie was a little corny, but it was cute enough.
Sunil J

January 21, 2010
Wow. This movie had a lot of potential but it was pretty much all wasted. Too bad bc it also had a pretty good cast. I think the problem was that it was kinda a silly romantic comedy that wasn't so well thought out. In addition, the conflict and drama overpowered the comedy and made it an occasionally funny dud of a movie.
iLeo
iLeo

February 16, 2010
Interesting movie that follows a couple planning to get married. They travel home to tell their families and hope to settle their differences as well.
America Ferrera, Lance Gross, Forest Whitaker, Carlos Mencia, Regina King, Anjelah Johnson, Diana-Maria Riva, and Charlie Murphy stars. Worthy!
Jason R

April 5, 2010
After getting over the initial shock of seeing Carlos Mencia in something were he didn't go Di Di De every five seconds, I tried with all my might to like this movie and for the most part it was very enjoyable but it just got to be a jumbled mess near the end, and it took away from the rest of the movie.
MOVEECRITIC
MOVEECRITIC

March 27, 2010
A spin-off of the classic "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" with a Latin twist. Our Family Wedding is a funny, yet predictable, comedy about people trying to overcome stereotypes and adjust to changes for the love of family.
February 15, 2010
I really loved this one. America did awesome and i love the two families batteling it out. I imagine that will be mine one day!! Oh for the future!!
tennisp21
March 5, 2011
We all knew the story coming in, it was obviously cliche, but I had hoped the comedy would make up for it. It didn't. In fact, it was the main reason why this movie was so dull. Personally, with a cast like this, there was ample opportunity to make it work, but the dialogue and scenes were very little to work with.

Overall, it seemed almost like a home production rom com with very little comedy. If anything, the sister, Izzy, had the most comedic presence in the entire set up . Marcus and Lucia's relationship was also not bad (Lance Gross is absolutely hot and America is gorgeous). Brad Boyd appeared to be the star, I don't know if that was intentional, but the rest of the cast made little impact.
December 6, 2010
There's plenty to WANT to like about this movie: America Ferrera, Forest Whitaker, Lupe Ontiveros,and Regina King. But there's more that disappoints: the plot drags and the story and dialogue don't have the snap and pop I expected. The two funniest moments: the fellas ragging on Marcus about love and marriage, and Abuelita fainting dead away on meeting him. But points for a new multicultural view on a familiar story.
miguelperez20191
October 17, 2010
Our Family Wedding and The Bounty Hunter are both bad movies. There are many films out there that I would recommend then these two. However Our Family Wedding is a much better film then The Bounty Hunter and that's saying a lot.

Our Family Wedding has a great premise for a comedy. Just like Judd Apatow's Knocked Up that it was a down on his luck guy and up and coming successful girl hook up. Our Family Wedding squanders the premise with clichés and slapstick. I don't mind clichés if something else is done with them. I have a long going bad luck that I haven't seen a film like that. Since Brooklyn Finest actually. There are good ideals here but fall on studio expectations. America Ferrera plays Lucia a law student who is in love with Marcus played by Lance Gross. Their a normal relationship but with a small drawback, she's Mexican and he's black. It's not a drawback to me or to anybody else who reads this review. We live in the 2000's who cares anymore.

Well both of their parents are successful, Lucia's father played by Carlos Mencia is the owner of a towing company and auto mechanic place. Marcus's father played by Forest Whitaker is a well know radio personality. They meet by chance and it doesn't end nicely. Later when Lucia and Marcus takes them to dinner. It sparks arguments and the race card begins to play for the entire film. That's where the movie becomes interesting and that's when the movie falls from it's pedestal. This could have been a quirky comedy about race but it falls on dumb romantic comedy clichés. There is a cool scene where they do the seating plan and stereotypes begins to come out no matter what. That's where the film takes off but it leads to slapstick and people falling and knocking stuff down.

The movie is inoffensive and sometimes pretty sweet. Although that's where I think the fails on. It tries to hard to be inoffensive. The movie is about race and it hides it by making it too feel good. The conversations are short and leads to relationship talk. I feel it's a method to appeal to a supposable audience, where the studios think our minds are fried. So we need to watch boring mind trapping clichés. I enjoyed the premise and some of it's direction it took. I like the ideals but it never takes off. It's a serious subject but they use it as a plot device. America Ferrera is the light of the movie and she's very pretty and sweet. Too bad her talents were wasted here.

A wasted attempt on a good premise.

**/* 2.5/5