—— Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Our Hospitality Reviews

Carlos M

July 17, 2014
There are many amusing moments here (the bumpy train, the dangerous river ride, Keaton afraid of leaving his foes' house and be killed) and a good eye for props and elements (the dandy horse, the tunnel shaped like a train) that make this a funny, enjoyable comedy.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

November 17, 2012
A man journeys to the South to claim his inheritance, but he falls in love with the daughter of a rival family along the way.
One of the stunts during the third act is one of Keaton's most amazing physical achievements in a career of amazing physical achievements. Considering the time this film was made and the technology available, I am always in awe of Keaton's technical prowess no matter what film I'm watching.
The story is a satire of Southern codes of honor, one of the first times I've seen Keaton criticizing Southern mores, and the result produces some madcap ridiculousness.
Overall, Our Hospitality is funny, entertaining, and contains some vintage Keaton, a master of the silent medium.
AJ V

September 3, 2010
Keaton gets in the middle of a family feud, hilarity ensues.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 19, 2009
In the Nineteenth Century, there is a feud between the McKay and Canfield families in the country of the United States of America. When John McKay is killed, his wife sends their one years old baby Willie to New York to be raised by her sister. Twenty years later, Willie McKay (Buster Keaton) returns to claim for his family state. Along the train travels, he meets a young lady and they fall in love for each other. However, she is the youngest Canfield and her family has not forgotten the quarrel against the McKays.
Bryce I

July 29, 2014
While the film's indicates are slightly obvious, Buster Keaton's second feature is still a favourite of mine amongst the collection and dare I say, almost contests the ingenuity of Sherlock Jr. The characters are vibrant, the plot is hilarious and while the satire is dated, Keaton's slapstick is unique even amongst Chaplin and Lloyd's greatest work.
Chris B

November 30, 2011
"Our Hospitality" is an epic scale Keaton film that runs at 75 minutes and employees the use of many sets and all adds up to a wonderful adventure with Keaton touch. The film is directed and stars Buster Keaton but also stars his at the time wife, father (who performs the insane high kick knocking a hat off a man), and his son as a baby Keaton in the film. Our Hospitality is one of the most liked and acclaimed Buster Keaton works and is widely considered a masterpiece. The train tracks are hilariously constructed and the trip back home is one filled with crazy antics and all sorts of trouble for our cast. The film showcases Keaton's huge imagination and gift for making terrific comedies that have both heart and adventure as well as comedy elements in both slapstick and insane set pieces. The comedies all convey a grand sense of space and wonderfully designed machines and constructions that really add to the feel of the movie. Of note, this was the first Buster Keaton film that both my father and best friend, Brad have seen via my blu-ray.
Marcus W

June 3, 2012
The story's so-so, but you don't watch Keaton for the story. The stunts and action are key here, and there's one sequence at a waterfall which would blow people away today, 90 years later.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

February 10, 2012
Not among Keaton's classics due to a draggy beginning and lack of truly uproarious moments, but his stunts are as incredible as ever including a very dangerous-looking river rapids sequence. As with The General, the guy again displays his fondness for trains with a very primitive 1820's engine getting some sizable screen time.
Lauren D

December 22, 2010
Meh. Not a fan of Keaton. Didn't find it overly entertaining but it didn't suck too much.
May 19, 2014
I feel this could have been funnier. Should have had a longer dinner scene with an added grandmother character also in on trying to kill Buster (perhaps with poison in his food). Keaton apparently loves trains, though I feel the train sequence here is just mostly filler.
September 27, 2011
The first half hour was pretty unwatchable. The gags were so tame it became annoying. Most of it is a really lame train sequence that foreshadows the much better train gags in The General. The only things that even elicited a chuckle were the few humorous references provided by the anachronistic view of history as manipulated for the 1920s audience. However, the last 45 minutes of the movie are up to the quality of other Keaton features. I swear, he seemed to be using the set from Birth of a Nation for most of it. The pace quickens quite a bit, the gags have a little more bite to them, and I feel, at least, that this movie could be rewritten as a really crass R-rated comedy for today's audience, one that pokes fun at antebellum south stereotypes. Just my private thought though. This movie does play on the stereotypes, but only a little. Anyway, the gist is that this movie is just not very good at the beginning, but gets better as it goes along. Not as great as the best Keatons therefore, but still standable.
May 26, 2011
pretty amusing, but not overly hilarious. Keaton's humour is always pretty subtle and reserved, but this seemed more toned back than normal. the story was definitely more cohesive than some of his other stuff, and it was filmed very well, too. an enjoyable period piece and an overall entertaining silent comedy.
philliprenke
November 1, 2010
A great comedic actor. Buster Keaton returns to claim the family land but unknowingly rekindles an age-old family fued. Some of the effects in this movie are pretty impressive for its time.
April 24, 2010
What better way to ring in the new year of 1923? That's a serious question, I wasn't alive then so I don't know, maybe fox trotting and eating asbestos.
Bryce I

July 29, 2014
filmlover1994
December 10, 2013
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
August 2, 2013
A young New Yorker goes back to his native south to inherit his father's property only to be embroidered in a long standing family feud, and fall in love with the young girl from his rival family. Keaton is in his prime in Our Hospitality, his second feature which is built around the structure of the chase movie and which shows his great sense of timing and pacing as well as unleashing some great gags. While it may not be his most memorable among his masterpieces of the slapstick comedy genre, it's highly entertaining and a real gem.
May 25, 2013
one of the best comedy ever seen
March 23, 2013
One of those rare comedy films that is both hilarious in it's basic plot situation in and of itself, but there are moments throughout the film that are quite funny as well.
February 25, 2013
Another great Buster Keaton movie.