Over the Hedge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Over the Hedge Reviews

½ March 22, 2007
Another cute family film that my daughter and i had a good time with enjoying the fun.
½ October 27, 2011
OVUH THE HEDGEEEEE! A pretty entertaining movie but nowhere near the caliber of any Pixar movie or Dreamworks' greater efforts.
Directors Cat
½ August 16, 2011
This film intrigued me when I found out the plot and name for the first time and whilst watching it I did find it was interesting, it provided a solid hippy rebellious if you like, plot. And it's probably the best film i've seen about cute animals trying to prtect their home. The jokes are good and its very entertaining, its a hugely underated film and my favorite made by Dreamworks joint with Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron which the film reminded me of, due to its serious message and hatred for human kind. Brilliant.
November 7, 2007
This is the best animated film for along time, not as cool or original as 'Toy Story' but the next best for sometime (animal based anyway). Its got all the usual cute characters vs human plot line but it has a slightly adult edge, due to its original comicstrip background, which gives it a very funny and slightly dark outlook. The characters are brilliant...mainly Hammy and Verne, and the voices are well matched, even Willis. This is also one of the best looking films around with the humans looking good and quite sensible instead of wacky but its the humour here that wins you over.
'OK..I thought we'd be dead by now so we're doing great'
½ August 24, 2011
I didn't really enjoy this movie. The story line seemed forced and over thought, like they were waiting for you to laugh. You hear the words "Bruce Willis is a racoon" and you think nothing but good can come of it, but I was sorely mistaken. Overthought and mostly empty, the crazy squirrel was its one saving grace. And the tortoise. They're cute.
½ June 16, 2011
I enjoyed this animated comedy. It had a fun story a hilarious characters. I didn't like the small enviornment and how all we get to see is a few houses, a few trees, and a cave. The voice acting was amazing. I didn't like the animals (other than the racoon and squirrel), none of them were cool or funny. In the end a really good znimated movie but it didn't do much and the animals besides the racoon and squirrell were really boring, Bruce Willis and Steve Carell are great though.
July 7, 2007
A racoon befriends a group of forest animals to help him catch food from humans to feed a hungry bear. Funny movie.
Movie Monster
½ August 11, 2010
Animated flicks should always be original. Over the Hedge is not. Its based on a not-so-famous comic strip thats rarely funny. Had its moments but its not up there with Dreamwork's other work and is considered their worst to date in my opinion.
July 28, 2010
May 14, 2006
I never thought I'd see the day when a film in the genre of Kids and Family by Pixar would be dealing with subjects like globalisation, urbanisation, consumerism and a whole lot of other 'tions' and 'isms', but here it is in the form of Over the Hedge. Way too clever to be branded as a silly kids comedy, this film could rival an Inconvienient Truth as the 'big issues' intellectual film of the year... well not really but it is very clever for a kids movie. I thought the description of food in the human world was particularly funny. Overall a throughly entertaining film that will have the parents giggling as much as the kids.
½ September 4, 2007
Another very enjoyable, entertaining animated movie thats just fun to watch!
i love the cast of voices and i love the movie, its funny, sweet and a good light hearted family fun childrens movie!! worth the watch
January 23, 2010
Hilarious! Mainly, because of all of the great actors doing the voiceovers!
½ July 20, 2006
This had an original and funny story with some great characters and good laughs. Sometimes it was rather slow running and not very interesting which decreased my rating. Overall the laughs were fairly good but the characters were great. Really good animation too.
½ August 18, 2009
Much better than the somewhat similar Open Season movies, espeically the first one. They need to make a sequel for this one! Great animation and entertaining in every way.
½ June 21, 2007
Over the Hedge only falls behind Shrek in my list of favorite Dreamworks movies. It's tale is fairly unique, even though familiar themes like friendship, honesty, and self-confidence are at the heart of the movie.

The voice talent is top-notch and there's more than enough humor to keep kids and adults happy. Over the Hedge deserves a home in the collection of any fan of computer animation.
October 20, 2006
I don't think the filmmakers were striving for anything more than a cute, charming, and funny movie, and they do achieve this.
½ August 3, 2006
A good storyline with some great characters, in particular Hammy, I love the scene with the fizzy drink. The whole film emits a message about family.
August 2, 2007
I don't usually go and rate CGI kid-flicks like this but this one is so good I had to make a review. Over the Hedge sees RJ the raccoon desperately trying to recover the foods he stole from Vincent the bear and he must gather them all in the course of only a week. He seeks help from an odd family led by Verne the turtle and we see them gather food in the suburbs.

Its funny, the emotions in the animals' face were life-like and that hyper active little squirrel cannot be easily forgotten.

December 8, 2006