Owning Mahowny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Owning Mahowny Reviews

½ July 30, 2007
Philip Seymour Hoffman is great as the gambling-obsessed Bank Manager. It's really suspenseful and fascinating watching his gambling getting waaay out of control.
June 11, 2006
Hoffman is perfect.
February 7, 2012
A great movie on the drawbacks of gambling. Once again, Hoffman is putting together masterpieces away from the view of most of the general public. A shame.
½ November 29, 2011
Straightforward but enthralling, "Owning Mahowny" is a rousing character study of incredible performances, most notably from Philip Seymour Hoffman as the titular character. Overall, the film doesn't feel like it's about gambling addiction as much as it is about one man's bad luck, but it has its moments.
October 14, 2007
for low budget Canadian films, this is one of the better ones I have seen.
½ July 19, 2006
Great performances from the cast. Based on a true story.
October 9, 2014
Philip Seymour Hoffman and Minnie Driver give painfully depressing, but outstanding, performances in this gritty film based on a true story of a banking executive, responsible and reliable in every way...except for a debilitating gambling problem. Dan Mahowny (Hoffman) uses his clout and trust to manipulate the system to keep his addiction going. The movie is hard to watch as the situations are very tense. The performances and direction are superb, though, engaging the viewer in the first few minutes of the opening scene.
½ July 20, 2014
It may be very plain and simply told, by Owning Mahowney offers up a glimpse into the mid of a compulsive gambler, and how the man thinks, what his lifestyle is, and what his social status amounts to. In that sense, the movie is interesting, and Hoffman offers up a neat little performance.
½ June 30, 2014
A lot of movies have been made on the destructive power of all sorts of addictions, but few have matched the sheer desperation of the affliction quite like "Owning Mahowny". This sparse yet electrifying and haunting film is based on a true story, the largest one-man bank fraud case in Canadian history.

The screenplay by Maurice Charvet is based on the book "No Limit" by Gary Ross, and it smartly focuses solely on the devastating obsessive behavior of bank manager Dan Mahowny without all of the flash that you would find in a big Hollywood movie.

This is as real and painful as it gets, and at the center of it all is the mesmerizing and fearless performance by Phillip Seymour Hoffman. It's an amazingly layered piece of work, and in many ways it's even better than his Oscar winning performance in "Capote". You notice the way Hoffman is rarely able to look anyone in the eye and the fact, as one character puts it, you never even really know what he gets out of gambling. As it's stated in the script, he only seems to want to win money in order to lose it again, and it's never a question of if he's going to get caught: only when. Frankly, it's quite miraculous that he's able to get away with this charade for as long as he does, many time brushing away the harshest suspicions with a mere sentence or two. It's a credit to Hoffman, who sells it.

"Owning Mahowny" is a powerhouse film that lingers with you long after it's over with one unforgettable lead performance. Thanks to Hoffman and a terrific script, an ordinary subject becomes something special.
February 17, 2014
Finally a film that deals with the REAL, catastrophic aspects of gambling addiction. Thank you Phillip Seymour Hoffman for portraying perfectly (nothing new) this tunnel vision role.
And the subtexts of the greed of Zoss played by John Hurt, Casino owners and the gambling industry in general were also brilliantly portrayed..
I just loved every aspect of this film from those who were really rooting for him (his "personal" valet who was fired when thought he was lost to Vegas, rehired when he reappeared, and finally fired again when Voss knew Mahowny's time was up

I appreciated also the men in the control tower watching him and wanting him so badly to won.
. Unfortunately, his addiction was so palpable, that he couldn't even take one instant to appreciate those on his side. Only in the end did he realize his true comrades and appreciate his lovely girlfriend played by Minnie Driver.
There was something viscerally redemptive about this film. And I can't quite put my finger on it, but it might be that we have seen the stereotypical gambling addict as a "happy go unlucky", when inside he/she is dying in a vault of obsessive compulsion.. Nothing to smile about unless you happen to be John Hurt (marvelous) or the Casino owners.
I shall keep this film on my DVR until "I delete". There will always be room for this finely honed film.
December 12, 2012
Dan Mahowny knows he's good at his job, just not at his life. "Owning Mahowny" is a fascinating fact-based portrait of gambling addict Dan Mahowny, played by Philip Seymour Hoffman, who is a Canadian bank manager who financed his addiction in the early 1980s through embezzlement. He created phantom loan accounts and juggled figures, keeping his scam alive for two years -- and to the tune of $10 million. What transcends and carries this true story of the largest bank fraud case in Canadian history is the phenomenal central performance of Philip Seymour Hoffman.

The main focus of the screenplay is Mahowny's obsession and compulsion and its devastating effects professionally and personally. Mahowny is emotionally sealed off, a man with no interests and no pleasures, a kind of dead soul who needs to gamble to feel truly alive. "Mahowny" is not a feel-good story about one man's ability to overcome addiction. Instead, it illustrates a deepening spiral of compulsive behavior, his withdrawal from society, and the unyielding power of denial. The story has some tense moments, but ultimately it's Hoffman's ability to reveal to us that beneath his all consuming addiction lies a decent, desperate soul.
½ February 12, 2013
But He Was Just Such a Nice Embezzler and Gambling Addict

Okay, in worrying news, Rotten Tomatoes is now no longer letting me link to a new page in which to write reviews, and I'm having to do this in a little tiny window on the main page for the movie. This may be a temporary glitch. I hope it is. But it's another thing that makes me wish I could find another site to do reviews on that didn't randomly take features away and still let me do things like give things specific ratings. I also no longer seem to have the thing where it tells me how many characters I'm using, so it's entirely possible that this review may run short . . . or long. Still, that's yet another arbitrary limit I've set for myself, though since I've gotten so lousy at posting a review a day, I really feel I should stick to my self-imposed length requirement. I realize that probably very few of you have seen this movie; I don't know how many of you have even heard of it. After all, it's pre-[i]Capote[/i], back before people knew who Philip Seymour Hoffman even was.

In this, he is playing Dan Mahowny, a quiet man with a mid-level banking job for a Toronto bank. When we first encounter him, it is to a chorus of surprise from his coworkers. He's just been promoted, and he still wears bad suits and drives a lousy car. He can't even guarantee that he'll be able to afford to take his girlfriend, Belinda (Minnie Driver), to a nice restaurant to celebrate. We quickly find out why, even though no one else knows--he's crazy in debt to Frank Perlin (Maury Chaykin), a bookie he met at the track. Belinda knows that Dan spends time at the track, but even she cannot comprehend exactly how much money he gambles. And then, Perlin won't give Dan any more credit. He's in for thousands already, and he hasn't been doing well. Dan decides that the obvious solution is to fake a loan application, grant the fake loan, and take the money out of the bank. When this isn't enough, he begins to take money out of a major account of which he is in charge, that of Dana Selkirk (Sonja Smits). She is starting her own business, I think, but her father is extremely rich, and the bank figures that, if they can get her father to guarantee the loan, they'll soak her for all they can get. Similarly more interested in the bottom line than in Dan is Victor Foss (John Hurt), a casino manager in Atlantic City. He pegs Dan as the quietest high roller he's ever seen and figures he can make a fortune off him.

All of this, it's worth noting, is based on a true story. The real man wasn't named Dan Mahowny, but his real name, Brian Molony, was deemed to close to the name of then-Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney. I don't know what other names were changed, and to be honest, I'm not interested enough to go look it up. However, I do know that it's considered the largest one-man theft from a bank in Canadian history. I don't know if it's historically accurate, but here, he basically gets away with it because no one can quite believe he's the sort of person who would do it. Yes, the Selkirk account is an easy target--the bank would love her father's business, so they give her a lot of leeway--or anyway Dan gets a lot of leeway when he pretends to be getting money for her. He manages to keep his gambling a secret, or anyway the extent of it. He even finds a way to get the money from the bank to the casino that doesn't require his going through customs or anything--or even signing his own name to casino documents. Certainly he never [i]spends[/i] any of the money he's embezzled; he loses all of it. He wins an enormous sum in Vegas, but it all goes to paying back Perlin--and the bank.

I'm not much of a gambler, myself. It isn't even just that I can't afford to lose the money. Similarly, on a flight from Toronto to Atlantic City, a cage teller (Karen Robinson), says she doesn't understand the appeal but is willing to go along with it because, hey, she still has a job. She understands the appeal of winning, but she knows that there isn't a whole lot of that in gambling. Now, if Foss had known about that conversation, she would have been as fired as Bernie (K. C. Collins). However, she's having the conversation with a gambling addict, who literally cannot understand her perspective. He tells a few people over the course of the movie that he doesn't have a gambling problem, that he has a money problem. At first, Belinda even believes him. However, when he leaves her all night in a hotel room in Vegas while he gambles--when she thought they were going to Vegas to get married!--she begins to realize there's more to it than that. When it isn't the only night that he stays out gambling, she knows that there's nothing she can do to change his behaviour. Probably Foss is the person with the best insight into the mind of a gambling addict, but it's also possible that he can't quite believe that Dan is an addict, because, I mean, look at him!

The only person until the end who suspects anything is the private detective Foss hires (David Collins) when he's trying to learn enough about Dan to lure him away from Vegas. Even he can't quite believe what he's thinking--which is why he never actually gets the chance to say it. Addict or not, Dan keeps coming up with the money, and the kind of money Dan loses in that casino is enough so that Foss doesn't want to know the truth. He's willing to take all kinds of ridiculous risks in order to keep the flow of cash coming in. And of course, the reason that Dan loses isn't that he's a gambling addict. It's that the odds in any casino game are on the house. Eventually, the house always wins. Dan was doomed from the very first bank draft, and it was only blind luck and his own harmless demeanor that let him get on for as long as he did. Oh, the movie isn't the best-ever portrayal of the whole thing, I'm sure, but the one thing no one quite seems able to fault in it is the Philip Seymour Hoffman performance. He won his Oscar for one of the most distinctive men of the twentieth century, but his real gift is playing boring guys in extraordinary situations. Even if the situations are of their own making.
April 16, 2012
½ April 3, 2012
A solid little movie about addiction and the world of gambling. Good characters and well acted that works as a cautionary tale but by no means an uplifting one. Not a movie i would watch again but not unhappy to have seen it once.
½ June 6, 2011
Phillip Seymour Hoffman is one of my favorite actors, mainly because he wears these degenerate roles so deliciously, that you can't help but think he'd be just as disgusting a person in real life.This role fits his talents perfectly, a banker with a secret Gambling addiction, which results in embezzling from his own Bank under non -existent accounts.Juicy take on a True Story
½ December 17, 2011
Phil Hoffman with yet another perfect performance. The great thing about Owning Mahowny is how real the writer and director treat gambling addiction. Hoffman is so spot on in his performance its hypnotic. The people that surround Mahowny are written spot on. The rest of the cast is rock steady, John Hurt playing the snake was great.

Hoffman should have been battling Paul Giamatti(American Splendor) for best actor that year and the fact that two of them weren't even nominated is another example of how warped the academy awards have become.
½ November 20, 2011
Based on true story about Canadian banker who gets addicted to gambling in Vegas and Atlantic City and starts stealing from his own bank creating huge debts....
½ June 22, 2007
Outstanding Philip Seymour Hoffman drama, as was "Copote", as he plays Dan Mahowny, Canadian banker employee, authored the biggest single man heist of his bank to subsidize his gambling habit at the casino. A true story, which is always better than fiction, is based on the real crime.

Very good study of a gambler taking down the house. Based on a true story in Canada, gambling is an addiction, or at least a bad habit, as this film shows, as Hoffman is willing to sacrifice his relationship and job to a debt and a vice, ie gambling. When he can't admit his problem, you can be sure he has one, but does he? A racetrack relationship makes you think he has a financial extortion ring after him... not a gambling debt. Pressured to give back far more than he owes to the track goons who trail him... even to a "vacation" trip with his girlfriend, Hoffman gets into the Casino for 9 million.... and loses it the same day.

Brilliantly played by Hoffman, the actor continues to amaze, as he did in Capote. Who says we lack for STARS today?

Take it to the bank, this intellectual thriller is one is worth your time in spades! NO special effects in this one, it doesn't need them.
August 10, 2010
This movie is a great example of pure addiction. Knowing some people who has had the exact problem, on a lower scale, made me cringe in certain scenes.