Paint Your Wagon Reviews

garyX
½ May 14, 2007
I'm not a fan of musicals, but this amiable western is full of slapstick drunken brawls and affable cowpokes, semi spoofing the genre. Imagine a romantic Cat Ballou with songs...?! Plus Lee Marvin and Clint are great together.
July 7, 2007
Paint Your Wagon is a strange western musical which has some embarrassingly catchy tunes. What a ride!
½ November 14, 2006
Mildly amateurish, yet funny and interesting.
½ April 27, 2006
I'm still amazed, when I run into this one, that Marvin and especailly Eastwood did this. This is not a horrible movie; it is strangely . . . observable. You will probably not lose yourself in this movie, but you might end up giving both Marvin and Eastwood credit for doing something different, something "against type."
Rostron2
½ October 21, 2010
If you're a fan of movie musicals, then your viewing has probably included Paint Your Wagon at some point, and I bet you've never watched it again after that! The era of the big-budget movie musicals was long over when this one was made, and for its time, it was controversial and 'adult'. Now it seems relatively tame to have singing gold prospectors wooing and bedding the same woman.

Don't look for any big performances or smash-up musical numbers with this one, there aren't any. Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood are charismatic as ever, but they can't sing worth a damn, nor should they have tried. The results are absolutely laughable. Marvin, to his credit, could always fill a screen, even as a drunken singing prospector in underwear. I can imagine he probably was 'fully lit' for this performance -- you'd have to be stoned or drunk to get through this movie in front of, or behind the camera.

Why this film really fails is that musicals don't come off well in outdoor locations. You completely lose any kind of focus on the song, because you're looking at the nice scenery, and there are some good camera shots. The scenes are confusing, the action alternating between frenetic and achingly slow. It's the kind of film that the stars probably laugh about, or wish they could erase from their memory. The songs are pretty forgettable, here's a sample:

"Where are we going? I don't know! When will we get there I ain't certain, all I know is that I'm on my way!!!"

The movie sort of follows this pattern...you really don't know where it's going...for hours.

All I know is, it's several hours of your life that you won't get back. Go watch Singing in the Rain, it's far more entertaining.
October 22, 2008
The storyline is downright ridiculous. But I really like the music and I never knew Clint Eastwood had such a lovely singing voice! The special effects are wicked awesome, too. I watched the whole thing from beginning to end so that is saying something right there.
May 29, 2008
OK granted, this belongs more in a comedy section than a western section, but its hard to exclude from a list of Eastwood's most memorable movies.
April 14, 2010
I love Westerns but hate Musicals so I didnt know what Id think of this 1 but it was suprisingly good
July 13, 2009
Absolutely wonderful, no matter what anyone tells you about the singing in it. Good enough to be played forever (decades) in a row in one Canadian theatre!
January 23, 2009
This movie was so fun for me when I was young I still enjoy it.

This movie was really fun when I was young, I still love it...
June 18, 2008
A western musical starring a singing Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin. Very over-the-top wacky. Lots of free love. They kidnap women for their brothels. Our two heros fall for the same woman so they decide to "share" the marriage. Throughout the film they shun God and run the decent folk out of town. Made in 1969 when ideas about sticking it to the man and anti-establishment was the new hip thing.
½ September 30, 2006
While it is weird having Clint Eastwood sing I still enjoy the songs and Lee Marvin's voice is definitely unique.
July 12, 2007
Cheesy, bawdy 1969 musical centering around No Name City, a Cali frontier Gold Rush town and the partners Ben Rumson (hilariously played by Lee Marvin) and "Pardner" (Clint Eastwood). When a mormon polygamist comes thru town, he is forced to give up one of his wives, who is then auctioned off to the drunken Ben Rumson. Things get tricky when Pardner falls in love with Elizabeth (Jean Seberg) too, and when they let a pioneer family stay at their homestead. Ben and Pardner team up with Mad Jack (Ray Walston-Mr. Hand from Fast Times) on an easy way to get gold, with disasterous results! Pretty long movie but it has an intermission. Some of it was filmed in Oregon. Cute romp, worth watching just to see young Clint and Lee sing!
August 11, 2007
See for the weirdness of seeing Eastwood & Marvin singing. It's just plain weird. But Presnell singing "Mariah" is truly a treasure.
June 16, 2007
It's very good. Good music, funny story, well acted. I think this might be my favorite performance by Lee Marvin in anything. The film is too long.
May 14, 2007
It's not a great musical to begin with, but Eastwood should give back on eof his Oscars for singing in this.
½ February 18, 2007
One great spaghetti western. None of them can really carry a tune and that makes it all the more endearing...lol
February 17, 2007
Great western musical. Great western musical. Where else can you hear Lee Marvin & Cline
Eastwood sing. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band play a number of songs in the
movie. It is funny movie and there is good music from the movie
especially the "They Call the Wind Maria" sung by Harve Presnell as
"Rotten Luck Willie" I remember watching this movie as in back as a
kid, in back of the family station wagon in a Drive-in. The movie is
good clean "dirty" fun.
½ February 9, 2007
I have gotten a lot of guff for this movie, but despite the fact that it is a western and a musical featuring a singing Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin, this is really a hilarious movie.
January 30, 2006
My goodness could one have gone more wrong when putting the cast together for this movie. Don't get me wrong I love Eastwood and really respect Marvin, and Seberg is alright, but all of them together and in a musical... Ahhh match made in hell. It's such an outlandish musical and it's so ridiculous. But, now at least we all know that Clint Eastwood talks to the trees, though they don't listen to him.