64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Painted Skin: The Resurrection Reviews

skactopus
skactopus

September 19, 2012
Wuershan brings the demons to a fairy-tale in Painted Skin: The Resurrection.As this picture can be mostly seen as a sequel in title only to its predecessor, Painted Skin, the story is more than adequate to stand on its own. The pacing isn't exactly a whirlwind as it does slow for a bit, which ends up pushing the movie out past 2 hours, but there is enough material to see it through to the end.The CG gets by, not necessarily top of the line, and it is used in abundance. The action, on the other hand, is limited and is left behind in the dust.Zhou Xun, Zhao Wei, and Kun Chen all return from the first film, although the latter two are completely different characters. Watching Zhou Xun and Zhao Wei take this film by the reigns is a pleasure. Yang Mi and Feng Shaofeng also have some amusing side characters.Painted Skin: The Resurrection seems like it relies on CG effects, but don't underestimate its story.

December 18, 2012
I read about Painted Skin: The Resurrection months back and a trailer that got me interested in seeing it, but had to wait for it release in the US. Now that I finally got my copy of the film I could say it's one of the most beautiful way a love story has ever been filmed and captured it so strongly.

Painted Skin: The Resurrection plot is better left not summarize into a simple a sentence. It's an experience that requires the audience to suspend all disbelief in order to enjoy it. It contains an interesting lore on demons, a captivating love story involving demons, and enough set pieces to ravel any major blockbuster. I have to say I have not seen the first Painted Skin, but that didn't prevent from enjoying this any less. What makes this romance story interesting as it unfold is how it shot. Breathtaking photography is always on screen making one visually mesmerizing experience. The attention to detail on the sets as well the costumes are worth noting. It helped me become immerse in the movie in such way I was taken out of my reality. The special effects are well done and it's nice to see CG not used as a mean for explosions or giant robots. The acting is spotless from all of it actors. I particularly enjoyed Xun Zhou who manages to be seductive as a demon without resorting to nudity. I do have a minor complain about some of the actors being underused. My favorite being the very funny Ming Yang who didn't have a major role in the movie, but that's just a small complaint. The great production values and effort put into this film far outweighs any negatives one would have with this fantasy film.

Painted Skin: The Resurrection is an interesting as a romance story can get in the fantasy genre. It offers beautiful visuals to go along with an great plot that will have anyone hook on it.
February 12, 2013
I was surprised that this movie had so many high ratings. While it was visually attractive, the story was rather confusing or could have at least been better organized. The acting wasn't bad, but a lot of the plot seemed watered down or like a lot of additional pieces were thrown in without real explanations. Perhaps this is how the original fairy tale goes, but I think it doesn't do it justice. Plus, I found a lot of the special effects to be in bad form or corny looking.
Robert C.
January 3, 2014
I was entertained but i'd still say it was just average for this KIND of film. It looks great but it's in dire need of some editing to slim it down. It's a neat fairy tale and the movie has some good/original ideas (for me) but just weighed down by too much down time. With the right tweaks here and there I'd easily bump it up to a 4 star.
January 1, 2014
This is a beautifully shot film, though there are slight inconsistencies if this film is regarded as a sequel to the 2008 Painted Skin. Its translation into English is good, so for bilingual viewers it's nice to see that the original meaning and beauty of the words are not lost. The ending involving Quer is somewhat ambiguous as one questions what has happened to her. Overall, a very nice film with stunning scenes and is well-paced.
October 9, 2013
What a love story zeg !
August 15, 2013
Amazing and beautiful visuals and an extraordinary cast of characters make this sequel to 2008's Painted Skin a true fantasy adventure. A bit lengthy, but if you can sit back and let yourself be consumed by the story, you won't regret it.
November 29, 2012
Beautiful! Elegant! Gorgeous!
November 3, 2012
It's cheesy but fun and sweet.
March 4, 2013
A Demon's Redemption.
There is a category of aesthetic that takes from dark places and creates sensual beauty. It is a dark beauty, where blood red is crimson red, and ink black is ebony black, and the macabre is tender as a newly opened flower. I have always enjoyed this aesthetic view point, which caters to the stories of ugly, golden hearted misfits. Or villains who are sorry for what they have done, and only committed foul deeds in the first place to have what others had. Good monsters. This is the type of story that Painted Skin tells. A demons punishment and redemption for wanting what she can not have.
Painted Skin: The Resurrection is a sequel to the first Painted Skin movie, which I have to admit, I have not seen. I know it stars Donnie Yen and is directed by Gordon Chan, which leads me to believe it is more focused on action. Wu Ershan has taken over the story for it's second installment, and has focused on the story more than action. Action gets it's place, but it is kept controlled next to the lush dark magic of the tale itself.
This tale is pure fiction, a Chinese based fantasy. I urge people to think of stories like Lord of Rings more than period pieces, for this is not a period piece. It is built on aspects of Chinese history and culture, just like western fantasy is based on Medieval Europe. This tale takes from the period of the Han Dynasty, when it was struggling to control the Hexi Corridor, which was the only path the Han had to the Silk Road trade routes. The Han competed with a group they labeled the Xiong Nu, a nomadic people that were tribal and clannish in nature. They were predecessors to the Mongols.
The story centers around the fox demon Xiaowei, played by Zhou Xun, who is imprisoned in ice as punishment for her involvement with humans. Another demon, this one a bird named Que'er, played by Yang Mi, sets Xiaowei free and helps her to find a human who will give their heart willingly to the fox demon that she might become human. The two encounter the last unmarried Han princess, Jing, played by Zhao Wei, who is traveling to see a general named Hou Xin, played by Chen Kun. He commands the White City, which guards the Han Empire against the Tian Liang barbarians, the story's Xiong Nu.
Jing is a beautiful but disfigured woman who is in love with a man below her station, General Hou Xin. Hou Xin is ashamed of his failure to protect Jing against an attack which happened years ago, which is why he is out on the borders of the Empire, an apparent self exile. Xiaowei tries to use these unrequited lovers to get the heart she needs to become human. This will involve Jing making a devil's deal with Xiaowei, so that she can be with Hou Xin. Que'er has her own endearing interactions with a descendent of demon hunters, who is more of a poor con man than a informed mystic. All the while the Tian Liang attack the city over a broken promise made by the Han. Surprisingly, this is love story.
Everything about this movie is a wonderful Chinese gothic tapestry. The color schemes of the sets and costumes are all darkened, richer colors, and muted earth tones. There is always a color contrast to found be found between some dark color and a deeper more dynamic color. The characters have their own color schemes which fleshes them out as living art. A lot of the movie is CGI, but beautifully done. The CGI is there to create the magic of the demons, and it always blends effortlessly with the reality the actors occupy. There is one scene with a bear that does not live up to the rest of the movie, but that scene is a flashback, so it is hard to tell if it was done that way on purpose. There is another scene involving the very visceral activity of switching bodies, which by all means should be grotesque, but is portrayed here as sensual, like a massage, or slow dancing. It is almost tender and gentle when completed.
The actors all do a wonderful job and the cast is lead by a strong set of females. Zhou Xun and Zhao Wei are two of the Four Dan Actresses, a group of actresses beloved in China. The other two being Xu Jinglei and Zhang Ziyi, of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon fame. On a side note, Dan is the word for female leading roles in Peking Opera, so their collective title is saying that they are the four leading ladies. What this means is that not only are these actresses some of the most skilled at their craft, but some of the most beautiful talents China has to offer. The other actresses do not pale next to these leading ladies, however, making sure the film is dominated by women. The male roles are really side characters playing in a world that is truly run by feminine influences.
Painted Skin: The Resurrection is gothic fairytale unique to China's sense of history and aesthetics. It is a pleasure to watch and get lost in. The enjoyment not only comes from the special effects, sets and costumes, but the talented and endearing talents of China's current top actresses, as well as, the eternal theme of love across boundaries and stations. While intensely gothic in appearance and matter, it really turns out to be an enjoyably tender film.
February 22, 2013
One of the best-selling Chinese film ever, but the quality is simply atrocious. Not only is the film featured on a really simplistic and lackadaisical storyline, it is also poorly executed with plot-holes and head-scratching scenes all over. The movie tries to bring over a hallmark of all Chinese movies nowadays, beautiful use of colours, but in Painted Skin it is unnecessary because it does nothing to aid the quality of the film. Odd lines are added, perhaps to make the film more comprehensible to laymen, but really takes the overall experience of the film away from the audiences. Chinese mythology is definitely an area of film worth exploring, as there are so many fascinating stories, but I hope nothing of this quality would be made again. Three of the greatest Chinese actors grouped together, but their effort is wasted in this poorly made film. Overall, an unworthy prequel to the first film.
January 17, 2013
Love the romance and visual imagery.
December 31, 2012
a demon and her quest to become human and the tale of love, pain. A great mythical story keeps the watcher interested....

December 18, 2012

December 11, 2012
The pacing can be slow, especially in the last 30 minutes, and some scenes drag. The action scenes are choreographed nicely, even if they seem to rely on the slow-mo-fast-forward editing method a little much. The story is better and much more interesting than the previous Painted Skin. The CGI is passable, but the movie relies too heavily on it for my liking. The acting by the women is superb and makes up for most of the movie's flaws. All in all, a great movie if you're a fan of the first Painted Skin.
November 6, 2012
Better than I expected and the computerised pictures are entertaining.
September 20, 2012
i'm just keep getting bored with these chinese fantasy tale movies
September 8, 2012
Loved this movie last night !!! if you have not seen the first one watch that to !! Forget the expendables ... these painted skin movies are class !
Jooric W.
August 8, 2012
Chinese always to see it in WEBSIDE...DO NOT watch it in 3D.many slow motions will let you fall.