68% The Equalizer Sep 26

Pale Flower (Kawaita hana) Reviews

sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

July 15, 2013
a fresh, unique take on the yakuza films of that time. the characters are not atypical, but the focus of this story really is. clan rivalry and looming violence permeates the story but the heart of it is about a romanticism that never quite finds its expression. the film is about the romantic timidity of otherwise confident and assertive people. the climax is so effective as we never really find out what we thought we wanted to know about "the pale flower" of the gangster world, but we're somehow ok with that because our main character is ok with that. a great film.
rubystevens
rubystevens

June 21, 2009
*sigh* '64 not '74. in a lonely place as directed by melville and set in tokyo
skactopus
skactopus

April 4, 2011
Pale Flower is a nicely written 1960s Japanese Yakuza gangster flick, which covers gambling, love, and murder. Everything a growing person needs.While this is a Yakuza film involving 3 gangs, the action is non-existent. This is a slow burn of a story that follows Muraki and his chance meeting with Saeko. While it is the Muraki character that is the main focus of the film, it is Saeko that will catch most people's attention. It is her lust for intense pleasures that will freak you out. Her wicked laugh during and after each intense situation will prove that you.Pale Flower is shot entirely in black and white and it fits right in with the story. The only flaw is that there are a few dark scenes, which can be tough to make out. The plethora of gambling scenes are addictive in the way that it makes you want to participate. All those Hanafuda cards just pull you in. "Place your bets, place your bets, place your bets ..." There is also a car race scene that shows up out of nowhere and it is quite entertaining.The acting is calm and subtle, but it works. Ryo Ikebe and Mariko Kaga carry this one to the very end. Speaking of the very end, it is brilliantly written.This film uses good cinematography and writing to tell a decent story about living dangerously to feel something in life. If you get the chance to see this, give it a try.
Chris B

June 28, 2011
Definetly on the darker side of the noir genre, Pale Flower is one of the best yakuza films to come from Japan. The film has a very suspenseful and eerie score that matches the characters and their edge of the seat lifestyles. Ultimately the film gives you an inside look into the post war Japan and the dark side of the yakuza, and I loved the inside look. Highly Recommended!
January 19, 2014
Muraki has just been let out of prison for a gangland killing but finds that his boss now has a truce with the enemy gang. He shrugs it off, as his interest it taken up by a mysterious lady gambler who is bored enough by life to try anything. Muraki tags along, sort of drifting through the underworld. Masahiro Shinoda creates a stylish "new wave" environs for this tired hard-boiled yakuza to haunt, all moody high contrast B&W. The gambling dens where they play hanafuda (a sort of Japanese blackjack with wooden cards) are just parts of the void where time and money disappear. In the end, to an English-language opera by Purcell, Muraki carries out one last job, to show his lady gambler true nihilism. This film created the mould that later yakuza films would seek to fill.
November 2, 2013
How is it that I have never seen this Film Noir, Japanese New Wave masterpiece? Wow, just wow. This movie is all dark style, beautiful and deadly and great. See it! Available on Hulu Plus.
Nik M.
January 19, 2013
Shinoda's gangster flick Pale Flower is riveting with intensity, an established setting, and themes of evil and death tightly wound into a perfect artistic delivery. The iconic dream sequence clearly depicts the film's artistic value at its highest.
December 15, 2012
A stunning example of the Japanese New Wave. A deeply psychological yakuza film ... one of the slowest burns I've ever seen of film. In a way, it's a typical film noir plot about a man becoming obsessed with a dangerous woman that brings about his downfall. The style is not what one would expect from this story. The closest comparison would be "Bob le Flambeur".
August 18, 2011
Possibly one of the coolest Japanese noir I have seen so far. The cinematography in Japanese New Wave films tends to look similar in style, but Pale Flower stood out due to its brilliant lighting. The whiteness on the faces of the characters against the contrast of the shadows is just magnificent. The editing is quick, energetic and full of life. Believe it or not this movie actually moves. Of course, without the pathos and charisma of our main hero, this movie wouldn't have worked as it did in so many levels. I should also mention that the ending of the film is one of the most brilliant I have seen in because it's a great example of ambiguity versus clarity.
July 27, 2011
Great philosophical gangster movie. Explores the psychology behind addiction, substance abuse, gambling. Very emotional and slightly surreal and ahead of its time. And the cinematography and score are gorgeous. I'm so glad Criterion put this out on blu-ray! I wouldn't say this movie is for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. I can see myself revisiting it for sure.
Chris B

June 28, 2011
Trevor C.
April 4, 2011
here's a film with fantastic imagery and plot, as well as acting. the mixture of music and imagery made this film one of the best Japanese crime dramas of its time; when the title sequence starts, you know this is going to be a good movie and what's best is that it doesn't disappoint - the climax is just as amazing as how the film starts.