Average Rating: 7.6/10
Reviews Counted: 13
Fresh: 12 | Rotten: 1
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 2
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 1
Average Rating: 3.9/5
User Ratings: 47,585
The autobiography of Henri Charriere, one of the few people to successfully escape from the notorious French penal colony of Devil's Island, served as the basis for Papillon. Steve McQueen plays the pugnacious Charriere (known as "Papillon," or "butterfly," because of a prominent tatoo), incarcerated--wrongly, he claims--for murdering a pimp. He saves the life of fellow convict Louis Dega (Dustin Hoffman), a counterfeiter who will later show his gratitude by helping Charriere in his many escape
Dec 14, 1999
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Watch It Now
Leper Colony Chief
McQueen's Cliff Stun...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
The narrative unfolds slowly, but the two stars are compelling and cinematographer Fred Koenekamp's photography is striking.
Based on the memoirs of Henri Charriere, the only man to have successfully escaped from Devil's Island, this is a grim and brutal prison drama, made more likable due to the lead star performances.
Steve McQueen's career high performance upstages Dustin Hoffman.
Awesome jailbreak film with gritty performances.
Classic grungy prison drama with great performances throughout.
Audience Reviews for Papillon
- Papillon: Hey, you bastards, I'm still here!
- Guard: The rule here is total silence. We make no pretence of rehabilitation here. We're not priests, we're processors. A meat packer processes live animals into edible meat. We process dangerous men into harmless ones. This we accomplish by breaking you. Breaking you physically, spiritually and here [taps head]. Strange things happen to the head here. Put all hope out of your mind, and masturbate as little as possible. It drains the strength.
- Dega: Blame is for God and small children.
- Dega: A temptation resisted is a true measure of character.
- Dega: Remember what the chicken said to the weasel?
- Papillon: If he was a healthy weasel, the chicken didn't get a chance to say anything.
- Papillon: We're something, aren't we? The only animals that shove things up their ass for survival.
Discuss Papillon on our Movie forum!