67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

OUTSTANDING!
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

April 3, 2009
How can you give this film anything but 5 Stars. If there is one thing I enjoy about any movie, is the fact that I learned something from it. It is ashamed that it takes 50 years to learn the secrets of a War. There seems to be more and more movies coming out that tell us of these hidden secrets. This is based on a true story. I had no idea that women were held prisoner of war during World War II. All the actors were outstanding. The Human Vocal band was out of this world. And as many captives will tell you, you must band together and work on something to keep your mind from whets really happening. This is a must see and a must add to the collection. 5 stars.
deano
deano

October 11, 2006
Incredible true story of a group of Australian, British and Dutch women who were held captive and herded into a brutal prisoner of war camp by Japanese in 1942 and couraged themselves to survive forever.
Mark A

April 1, 2011
An excellent recounting of the horror of surviving a Japanese prisoner of war camp during WWII, that put this viewer in mind of "Playing For Time". Glenn Close plays Adrienne Pargiter, the wife of a British diplomat, who becomes the de facto leader of the women incarcerated on Sumatra. Joining her is a marvelous cast, including Frances McDormand (Dr Verstak), Cate Blanchett (Susan McCarthy), Julianna Marguiles (Topsy Merritt), and Pauline Collins (Margaret Drummond). Together, they face the brutality of their captors with dignity and courage and manage to put together a vocal orchestra and present classical music with only their voices. When they begin to sing, I defy the viewing audience to remain dry-eyed! A testament to the strength of the human spirit under the harshest conditions imaginable.
Robert F

February 8, 2008
At times, the grueling pageant of torture and abuse became a bit much for me. Still, Paradise Road is a triumphant celebration of the human spirit in the face of suffering.
June 1, 2008
Lackluster. Some genuine moments don't make up for the rest of the unfocused, underdeveloped story...
June 16, 2006
sad story of how the Japanese worked for the Germans and kept the enemies prisoners and beat them and tortured them sometimes til death...
zappasgal
April 20, 2007
Uses Ravel's "Bolero" as a unifying force to help keep women in a prison camp motivated to fight and live.
May 18, 2012
One of the most real and poignant WWII Interment camp pictures i have seen. Right up there with "Empire of the Sun". Excellent performances by a diverse cast.
July 2, 2011
All Star Cast, Very Touching Story of British, Australian, American, and Chinese Women in a WWII Japanese POW Camp. Haunting.
Reprieved Soul
March 17, 2010
Authentic and haunting, all the usual cliches which are not really cliched - they're how it was and that was how one nation behaved. Man's inhumanity, in this case to Woman, must be continually depicted .... "Lest We Forget". Entertaining too - who in the movie audience is not turned round by the beauty of the unaccompanied singing, just as were the guards.

So enjoy the3 performances and be glad you were spared the experiences.
jazza923
February 26, 2008
Good story but a familiar one, namely So Proudly We Hail. It is disappointing there isn't more original material here. The cast is a terrific group though and it is well acted. Professionally done and it's an interesting film.
matchboxforever
November 29, 2005
This was okay. Nothing super special.

It was enjoyable, but I will say it was pretty depressing as well. I never realized that sort of thing happened during the war.

Anyway, I don't have a lot to say about this film, but it's probably worth a viewing.