Paranoia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paranoia Reviews

½ May 9, 2013
It felt like a rehash of 2001's Antitrust.
November 22, 2013
This movie is certainly carried through by Oldman and Ford. Without them it would have been a slow bore of a movie.
½ December 8, 2013
Crowded with A-List actors who work pretty much to their best potential, "Paranoia" is sure to be the hit of the century am I right? Hell no, and let me please explain why. Adam (Liam Hemsworth) is fired after a "disappointing" pitch to the company about a new cellular device. He is then brought back to scam a rival company, whom just happens to have a girl who he knows and likes on board. Everything spirals out of control of course and everyone begins to hate each other. The premise is already stale enough and the script is pretty bad too. Although the actors give it their all, I will never recommend this film to anyone, because it is the most predicable piece of streamline crap out there. With choppy editing, and odd camera movements, this feels more like a hyperkinetic Music Video rather than a feature film. Most of the time I was shaking my head in disappointment wishing there was more to this film, but in the end, I just didn't care about it at all. "Paranoia" is sadly one of the worst of 2013!
December 3, 2013

"Paranoia" is a technology corporation thriller, that lacks the most important thing in a thriller, thrills. Liam Hemsworth stars as a down on his luck corporate guppie who finds himself in the cross hairs of a war between Tec companies headed by Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman. Now those two are usually awesome, and they each have good moments here. But really, they don't add much, if anything to it. Hemsworth is very wooden, and one of those actors where he is more eye candy for the girls than anything. Is it worth a watch? Eh, if it's a redbox rental or on Netflix, sure. But worth any substantial money? No, not really. This could have been worse, but really it should have been so much better.
November 25, 2013
Mediocre affair with a sloppily written script, Paranoia is a dull film that had an interesting premise, but it just ends up falling flat. The cast is awful, aside from Gary Oldman, whom I thought was quite good. However everyone else seems bored in their parts and Hemsworth tries too hard in his performance. This film simply copies from other films and it does lack some originality. Although the idea was good, the filmmakers clearly don't know where to take it, and they try to rip off every genre film in the process. This is a\ film that just doesn't deliver anything really engaging. I really was disappointed with the film, and I felt it was a missed opportunity to make something tense, and dramatic. Paranoia is a forgettable film, one that wastes its interesting ideas due to a sloppily written script, a few miscast parts and somewhat clichéd story. The ideas were interesting, but they also could have been worked with, so that it was something new and refreshing. In the end, Paranoia is a boring movie that never takes off. Don't go into this one expecting a great film, you'll be disappointed. Paranoia should have benefitted from a few rewrites before it got the go ahead, as it is a very boring film and it's a tedious picture to sit through and considering the end result, it's not worth seeing. This is a pointless movie that just doesn't have anything good going for it. Disappointing, and forgettable, you'll be glad that you missed out on Paranoia, as this one just doesn't work.
November 17, 2013
In a war between kings even a pawn can change the game.

Good Film! "Paranoia" starts off nicely and builds up to a point where it could go anywhere and in a spectacular way. Sure, all those possibilities are predictable but many are also enjoyable. The film has an interesting storyline but is weak on the technical premises. It is far from being stylish and thrilling but there is not much to offer in this formulaic script.While Gary Oldman and Harrison Ford are good as usual, Liam Hemsworth is pretty much decent in it although we are far from being absorbed with his character nor do we feel sympathetic for him despite being used as a pawn by both tycoons. The twists and turns that take place in Paranoia are usually predictable but it might seem good for those who are not used to these types of movies. The state-of-the-art technology used in it could be bothersome as it overshadows the story of the film.But in spite of its flaws,the film manages to be serviceable and entertaining.

The high stakes thriller Paranoia takes us deep behind the scenes of global success to a deadly world of greed and deception. The two most powerful tech billionaires in the world (Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman) are bitter rivals with a complicated past who will stop at nothing to destroy each other. A young superstar (Liam Hemsworth), seduced by unlimited wealth and power falls between them, and becomes trapped in the middle of the twists and turns of their life-and-death game of corporate espionage. By the time he realizes his life is in danger, he is in far too deep and knows far too much for them to let him walk away.
Nikhil N.
October 7, 2013
This movie is ridiculously stupid. Do not watch it. Its only redeeming factor (if you can count this as redeeming) is that the star-studded leads give categorically average performances.
August 31, 2013
Gary and Harry, why?
½ March 7, 2014
Despite some impressive casting, Paranoia is a rote thriller with no originality to it. After being blackmailed, Adam Cassidy gets caught in a rivalry between two tech companies by agreeing to become an undercover mole; but when he tries to back out the people he works for threaten the lives of his friends and family. It's a formulaic plot that's predictable from start to finish. The only saving graces are the strong performances from Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman, Amber Heard, and Josh Holloway. But it's not enough to save the film from mediocrity. Paranoia is completely unremarkable and instantly forgettable.
½ March 30, 2014
After making a name for himself in the Hunger Games, teen heartthrob, Liam Hemsworth got his first leading role in the corporate thriller, Paranoia. This film has a somewhat complicated plot to explain without spoilers, but I will attempt to do so. Adam Cassidy (Liam Hemsworth) is a low level employee at one of the worlds largest tech company. His boss has learned that their main competition, his former employer, is about to unveil a revolutionary piece of new technology, that can change everything. Fearing for his companies future, Nicholas Wyatt (Gary Oldman) decides to give Cassidy the opportunity of a lifetime, that is if he's willing to break a few dozen laws or so. Liam Hemsworth was terrific, giving a performance similar to the one Bradly Cooper gives in Limitless, as a guy with an important job that's in way over his head. Hollywood finds these good looking guys and the truth is that a lot of them have nothing to offer, but Hemsworth proves that he has the talent it takes to star on the big screen. In the film he's supported by a real all-star cast, that includes Harrison Ford, Richard Dryfuss, and Gary Oldman, all of whom do what they've been doing for half a century, making great films even better. The only reason this film isn't getting 5 stars, is the same reason it didn't do as well as it should have in the box office. Paranoia is about corporate espionage and at times, the business aspect is confusing and makes us feel as overwhelmed as Hemsworth's character does. Other than that, I can't find a thing wrong with this film, it is absolutely one of the best edge of your seat thrillers I've seen all year and easily earns the right to be called one of our must see movies!
½ September 8, 2013
Crammed full of more over-acting stars than an episode of Celebrity Rehab, this oftentimes predictable and rarely surprising thriller summons more of a feeling of Nausea than Paranoia. When a star-studded production begins with a phoned-in VoiceOver that forcefeeds the movie's theme of the American Dream going chest up, you know you're in for a contextual talking-to. Sadly, the rest of the movie doesn't get any better. The script presents one high-rise moment: a frenzied teardown of every inch of a tony apartment but, sadly, it's stolen from a much-better film called The Conversation. The rest of the movie gets packed with one-note acting, flat cinematography, and about as many thrilling twists a corporate recruitment video.

In this PG-13-rated techno-thriller, an entry-level employee at a powerful corporation (Hemsworth) finds himself: spying on his boss's (Gary Oldman) old mentor (Harrison Ford) to qualify for a multi-billion dollar payday and lifestyle.

Instead of the marquee talent promised, moviegoers are left to wonder to whom Gary Oldman and Harrison Ford lost a bet. When they go through the paces, there's at least a bargain basement entertainment value--expensive-looking goods made cheap. Nothing good can be said for Liam Hemsworth, however. Blessed by the Talent Gods with one expression, this young actor got away easier in The Expendables 2...he died after delivering his few lines of dialogue. Here, he and audience don't get off as easy. Instead, all involved get subjected to Hemsworth waking up a night of bonking Amber Heard with every hair perfectly in place and Julian McMahon flicking alight a Zippo menacingly like a Bond villain.

Bottom line: Three Doze of the Condor.
August 20, 2013
The re-teaming of Air Force One stars, Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman, is reason to check out this film. They are great in the movie, even though the film is so so. The film reminded me of a bunch of movies like Confidence, The Firm, Wall Street, Antitrust, and 21. The film needed a rewrite. They had a good idea but didn't execute it correctly. Some scenes felt like they copied scenes from other movies. Also the romantic storyline between Hemsworth and Heard felt rushed here and not developed well. Also, it was too predictable and no big surprises.

Acting wise, Ford and Oldman chew up each scene they are in. Hemsworth is ok but another actor in that role could have done more. I think Chris Pine would have done a better job in the role. Heard does the best with what she has to work with. Richard Dreyfus, Embeth Davidtz, and Julian McMahon provide solid supporting work.

Overall, the film is worth seeing cause of Ford and Oldman. No need to rush to the movie theater to see it. You can see it on DVD and Cable.
½ November 19, 2013
As with this past summers R.I.P.D. the latest straight-up B-movie project from director Robert Luketik proves to be better than you might have heard while still proving to be a pretty spectacular failure for the level of talent involved. Paranoia was no doubt supposed to be young Liam Hemsworth's breakout solo role after serving a small, but critical aspect of The Hunger Games franchise and even moonlighting in The Expendables 2 last summer. With Paranoia though, we get such an obvious story and minimal acting from all involved that the film ends up feeling as half-hearted as it probably is. As if it were a throwaway script from some long forgotten 90's thriller, Paranoia has been updated to try and provide a social commentary on how the state of technology has left little room for anyone to spy on us but rather that we provide all the info anyone would ever need through our phones and other devices that feed our constant social media needs and incessant photo postings with tagged locations. Hemsworth's Adam Cassidy is picked up by Gary Oldman's Nicolas Wyatt to go undercover and obtain details concerning the latest product from his former boss and now rival, Jock Goddard (Harrison Ford). Of course, this is all very illegal and fairly shady but Hemsworth's character is more than game because he's been working his whole life to amount to something more than his security guard father (Richard Dreyfus) ever was and plus, he wants to know what it's like to live like the other half. The film suffers from many of the same problems of which Adam's personality suffers and that is despite having a solid exterior and all the seemingly necessary parts to make a solid film (or human being) there is still a level of immaturity and naivete that is striking and unfortunately stands out above any of its other shining qualities. There is also a love story subplot concerning Amber Heard which no matter what film she pops up in usually adds a kind of generic stench to the proceedings and there is no changing that here. This might serve as passable entertainment for a Friday night on the couch, but it is also unacceptable trash for the level of talent involved.
August 7, 2013
Only entertaining on the most basic of levels, without its seasoned cast and glossy shine film quality, "Paranoia" would be, as the critics have already called it, "borderline unwatchable". Touting a cast of Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman once again on opposing sides, and Liam Hemsworth with Amber Heard getting stuck in between these moguls, no one would have guessed the plot structure and delivery would not be anything less than amazing. Instead, Robert Luketic's feature is stale and recycled, feeling like every other corporate espionage film that's ever been made. Mostly unbelievable and often contradictory, the jabs the film makes on worldwide surveillance are then brushed over to allow for the plot to carry on. In particular the fact that all conversations are monitored on phones, whether the phone is on or not, would render the idea of a spy completely impossible. Which means there would be no possible way that Adam (Hemsworth) could infiltrate Goddard's (Ford) company without immediately being detected, especially as he runs back to the rival company. The writing is surface level, relying on fixed stereotypes to get the viewer immediately involved rather than developing characters in a rich and exciting way. The film becomes so formulaic, that even the romance that blossoms is rendered unwanted. With a veteran cast like Ford and Oldman, it takes a very bad script and poor execution to kill a film like "Paranoia".
½ August 12, 2013
June 4, 2015
Imagine a holiday, then go for a nothing-to-do one, and you are sleepy, so you found the perfect movie to watch.... No twists, no surprises, good actors, ok plot...
½ August 18, 2014
A good watch with some interesting stances on the use of technology and its involvement in our personal lives, but the plot is a bit fumbled and doesn't get you to the edge of your seat. I kept asking myself "When does the paranoia start?"
½ January 3, 2014
Paranoia is not only one of the worst action films I have ever seen, this is one of the worst films I have ever seen. Period. I can not believe how awful this film is. The story is confusing as hell, the writing is as blan as a stick, the acting (Except for Gary Oldman and Harrison Ford) is ungodly awful and horrible editing, this is just stupid above every level. The only thing I got out of this film is when I get to play with my brain to try get this carp in hat out of my head for good. If I were you, I would stay form this as soon as possible. Beep this movie.
January 6, 2014
Eye-rolls and unintentional laughs should not accompany a film like Paranoia, a supposed high-stakes suspense/thriller that takes place in the high-tech-meets-media billion-dollar business world. Starring Liam Hemsworth (The Hunger Games) as a regular guy with big ideas who finds himself manipulated by a corrupt boss to spy on a business rival, Hemsworth does little more than walk around shirtless, feign surprise and pretend to be savvy enough to outwit the dastardly dudes that populate the cut-throat business world of NYC. Hemsworth is the good guy because he is nice and handsome, young and thus-far uncorrupted ... and from Jersey. His boss is played by Gary Oldman (The Professional) who will do just about anything to get his hands on the new technology being created by his rival-and-one-time-business-partner, Jock Gardner (Harrison Ford - 42). Hemsworth's Adam is torn once he discovers Jock is a nice guy with a tragic past he doesn't want to deceive nor does he wish to hurt his new girlfriend Emma (Amber Heard - The Rum Diary) who has a high-profile position within Jock's company. Decisions, decisions ... Adam's options become even more limited when his father's life (Richard Dreyfus - Jaws) is threatened by his evil boss. Queue eye roll! Paranoia has a very good but ill-used cast which also includes Embeth Davidtz (Schindler's List) and Josh Halloway ('Lost'). The film is flashy and looks nice -- it is a high dollar world so it would have to -- but little logic was applied to any of the thought put into the screenplay. I guess one could watch this and be entertained; but just don't think about what you are watching. Like ... at all. Thinking about the holes hurts more than the film itself.