Paris When It Sizzles Reviews

½ February 8, 2011
Seems I'm in the minority for liking this little gem. I have a feeling that since Hepburn said it was one of her least favorite films, people fail to look beyond that at what a clever little piece this is. Or it may take an appreciation of cinema itself. To me, this was way before its time. It makes fun of the system, writers, and actors. Some of the film is very stupid or silly, but that's the point. They are writing a BAD film, and as such, we see this bad film come to life. It's also a great spoof. Tony Curtis, in a very extended cameo plays himself. But himself as an actor in a supporting role. It's hard to describe the brilliance of this performance. From his initial entrance with the exaggerated mannerisms of a method actor, to his delivery of lines usually reserved for insignificant extras. It does become tedious in spots, and Holden and Hepburn's romance is just as forced and sudden as the one in their poorly written movie. See this if you are a Curtis fan, or love seeing actors lampoon themselves. I'm surprised to see so much post-modernism so early on in cinema.
jjnxn
April 4, 2007
Inconsequential piffle that wants to be a saucy souffle but is just a flat contrived trifle. Lovely locations and Audrey as a secretary who can afford to dress in Givenchy! can't make this nonsense sparkle. Guest cameos are totally wasted although Marlene Dietrich looks smashing.
A fizzle.
deano
½ February 12, 2007
Good comedy-romance tale of a screenwriter and his secretary who act out story scenarios in an attempt to knock out a script in 48 hours.
May 17, 2009
Couldn't hold my attention for more than five minutes. I really tried with this one but I couldn't get through it.
June 8, 2010
one of the most entertaining films ever made about cinema itself.
March 17, 2012
Overly-elaborate film farce that doesn't really provide much fun for the viewer. Hepburn is up to the task, but William Holden seems like a bad match for his role. Not that his role is any good, and--what's worse--it is the pivotal role to the entire movie. I did like Noel Coward in this, however, and wish they would have utilized him more. Decent premise, bland pay-off.
½ May 21, 2010
I can always enjoy a movie where Audrey Hepburn plays her typical witty and charming role. So... I probably overrated this movie. To be honest, I probably wouldn't watch it again...
½ September 3, 2009
I do love Audrey Hepburn and William Holden, but I found Paris When It Sizzles not as grand as the title suggests. It came off a little sluggish with a borish storyline. Most of the time, when viewing a film with the lovely Audrey Hepburn, I can't help but be mesmerized by the sight of her; but I was too concerned on this film getting a jump-start than anything else. Paris When It Sizzles is a incoherent mess that lacked the consistency that so many films these actors star in dish out. But, still, the film has a sophistication to it that can't be turned away. If you're looking for substance, try elsewhere; if you want beauty that these actors possess, then Paris When It Sizzles is your film.

I might be mistaken here, but I noticed the mentioning of Breakfast At Tiffany's on the screenplay Holden was describing to Hepburn on the first fifteen minutes of the film; the part where he kissed her at the end of reading it.
½ May 16, 2009
I like this movie a lot but it had the potential to be SO much better. Audrey and Bill Holden had immense talent, but this film doesn't really show it off. Still a fun flick to watch and the storyline is interesting.
½ February 10, 2009
Cheesy and just overall silly- but I like it anyway. I love Hepburn's white dress and pale blue belt that she wears on her second day on the job.
½ August 6, 2008
The chemistry is just NOT there at all....the story is flat and carries no dramatic gusto at all. Paris "fizzles" as far as I'm concerned here.
½ August 4, 2008
its like the only romance i have ever watched and i only watched it cus adrey hepburn is in it and it turned out to be pretty good.
August 1, 2007
"You really love it don't you?"
"What?"
"Life."
"Oh yes everyday when I wake up and see it's a new day i go absolutley ape."
Great movie.
September 12, 2007
I really like Audrey Hepburn, but in this movie her acting is terrible and the script too! Do not waste ur time on this one!
½ September 2, 2007
Audrey Hepburn in a very experimental movie for it's age - frikkin hilarious still in this day and age.
April 30, 2007
My favorite Bill Holden movie that I've seen so far is SUNSET BLVD. which is about Holden as a screenwriter having to write a script he doesn't really want to write. And here he is again in a similar role, playing a screenwriter staying at a luxurious hotel suite in Paris with only a weekend left to write a script that he doesn't really care to write. Enter Hepburn as a typist who is hired to help him and a love story develops between them. As they write the story together, we get to see the "film within the film" come to life as we cut to hilarious images of Holden and Hepburn acting as the characters in the imaginary story they are narrating and creating. Those little film scenes within the film are pretty outrageous and off the wall and that is what makes the film so fun when it cuts to those little narratives. Also Holden's acting is equally flamboyant and playfully dramatic as he is often seen pacing and prancing around the hotel suite as Hepburn watches in lovestruck admiration. Holden also gives his hilarious take on how to write a screenplay to include things like "swithces upon switches upon switches" to trick the audience. Claude Renoir, though he is uncredited works as cinematographer along with Charles Lang Jr. and there are nicely shot scenes with vibrant colors and some good looking night shots. A very picturesque tour of Paris. Favorite scene: One of the "film within the film" scenes when Hepburn discovers Holden's character Rick is a "vampire" in a cave.
March 24, 2007
We all know I love Audrey, but this would be just as great of a movie even without her.... well, almost as great ;)
March 15, 2007
At first when I started watching this movie I thought it was soooo stupid, but after awhile I was really into it. I loooove it!
½ February 12, 2007
This is probably the worst Audrey Hepburn movie I've ever seen. It's good enough so that you'll sit through the entire movie, but that's not really saying much.
½ January 27, 2007
definately adorable, and a similar side to audrey. although, i never thought i would see her armned with a gun! and i absolutely loved her cute little pink dress as well has that large princess hat!