92% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Patience (After Sebald) Reviews

Anthony L

March 13, 2014
An interesting musing on the author W.G. Sebald but mainly concentrated on his most popular book, The Rings of Saturn. It works pretty well as a companion piece, imitating it's mysterious but somehow simple symbolism and hidden references. It's a book that has slowly grown in popularity since it was first published in 1992 and is now regarded by many as a modern classic. I won't review the book, all you need to know is that it is something quite remarkable and that you should read it. The film offers a critique to the audience and points out things the reader may have missed and puts picture to word for those unable to visit the sites in question. This is all done exceptionally. Who knew the meaning of life could be found in East Anglia!
Jennifer X

May 15, 2012
Informative, compelling, and haunting. I really loved this film.
May 15, 2012
Dense and tiring for such a short film but beautiful and inspiring enough to elicit repeat viewings.
September 2, 2012
Imagino que para quem leu Os Anà (C)is de Saturno esse documentário seja imperdível. Para mim, uma curiosa que ainda planeja se aproximar do Sebald (parte da enorme constelação Vila-Matas...), foi um aperitivo bem saboroso.
May 8, 2012
The wrier W.G. Sebald died in 2001, and since then his work has slowly grown in appreciation in the Western world. It is often said - and repeated in this film - that if he had not died he would surely have won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Patience, a lyrical film-essay on Sebald's most famous work, The Rings of Saturn, tracks the course of the book's walk through East Anglia and ruminates upon art, history, geography and life.

To many this will be an infuriating and dull film, but to those with sensitivity to artistic concerns it is nothing short of mesmerising. Though it resolves nothing, and explains nothing, it nonetheless takes you as close as is possible to the spirit of a man now dead and to a world-view few ever see. As a writer myself I felt this work resonate profoundly within me, and it awoke a desire to read Sebald, to visit his beloved East Anglia (though beloved not his home, however) and to spend more of my time just walking and observing and learning to live.
May 4, 2012