Patriot Games Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
April 9, 2011
Of all the Tom Clancy adaptations, Patriot Games has got to be one of my personal favorites. The films story, for me has to be the best idea that Clancy had written on paper. The IRA seeks to assassinate a member of the Royal Family, and Jack Ryan stops the assassination attempt and in the midst kills the brother of the leader of the hit squad, Sean Miller. Sean Miller will stop at nothing to kill Jack Ryan and his family, and once he has broken out of police custody, he sets out to do just that. Patriot Games is a a solid, pulse pounding action thriller that doesn't seem too out of style. Sure looking back now, we can see that the political atmosphere has changed drastically, and that the IRA isn't really what it used to be. Despite the fact that times have changed, and the worlds focus is elsewhere, and I say this because when this film was released, the IRA were at the top of their game and still a threat to Britain. Getting back to the film, This is a top notch film that Clancy fans will relish and surely enjoy. Sean Bean's portrayal of the villain Sean Miller is terrifying, and diabolical, and for me, its one of his best performances of his career. Bean always knows how to play a villain well, and Patriot Games proves it. Patriot Games is a solid film that still holds up to this day. This is a film that very thrilling and action packed and remains one of the best adaptations of a Tom Clancy Novel. A good story, good acting and non stop thrills makes this essential viewing for Tom Clancy fans.
June 14, 2006
Harrison Ford's first Jack Ryan movie is a convincing action thriller. While some parts feel a bit simplified, probably even more so when compared to the novel, the film still flows perfectly and has you on the edge of your seat, especially during the really exciting showdown. One might say with a cast of names like this nothing can go wrong but the good direction should get its credits as well. Also: There's just something really satisfying about seeing Harrison Ford all pissed and ready to strike back in bloody revenge.
CloudStrife84
½ April 17, 2007
Having recently seen Salt, by director Phillip Noyce, I became curious to find out what other movies he's made. So I did what I always do when in need of such info: I turned to IMDB. It was then that I stumbled upon this film. A thriller not unfamiliar to me, but one I've (for some reason or another) neglected until now. At any rate, there's a lot to like about the cast in this film. Not only does it star one of my all-time favourite actors, Harrison Ford, but it also includes a superb Sean Bean, and great supporting roles by actors like James Earl Jones and Samuel L. Jackson. That in hand with some riveting drama bits and suspenseful action scenes, makes this into (to use a military metaphor) another medal on Phillip Noyce's uniform. Maybe not a golden one, but shiny nevertheless.
½ April 9, 2010
I thought I had seen this. But I hadn't. But now I have. How do I feel about that? Pretty neutral. I still think Alec Baldwin was the best Jack Ryan. I have a hard time thinking of Harrison as anyone other than the president (when he's being part of the American government, that is. He can still be Han or Indy, of course.)
November 19, 2009
A great political thriller, with a priceless performance by Harrison Ford. The story is highly entertaining and enjoyable, it doesn't get too politically one sided. It has a nicely crafted suspense element that keeps you hooked.
September 25, 2009
A good Jack Ryan film but it?s become a little dated due to the typical early 90?s style that so many action/thriller of the time couldn?t seem to break away from.
TomBowler
August 2, 2009
this is a gripping thriller, start to finish. harrison ford is great as usual and the storyline is fantastic
cosmo313
July 10, 2009
This really isn't too much more than just a fancy revenge thriller, but there's nothing wrong with that. The direction and performances are decent, the cinematography is well done, the atmosphere is nice, and it's very entertaining. The ending got a little too OTT, but hey, that's Hollywood for ya.
middleeasternfilms
May 13, 2008
Great acting, but a bit slow-moving film about Jack Ryan, a former CIA agent who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and interferes in an IRA hit in the U.K. The brother of the man he kills during the shootout (the always-excellent Sean Bean) escapes from custody and tries the revenge thing on Ryan. Not too memorable for Ford, who would do just one more Ryan flick then leave it up to Ben Affleck to bury the series for good.
½ June 18, 2006
Lt. Cmdr. Robby Jackson: So, you just waded on in like John Wayne. Why'd you do it? What were you thinking, man?
Jack Ryan: I don't know. I wasn't thinking.
Lt. Cmdr. Robby Jackson: That's it? You sound like some of my students.
Jack Ryan: It just pissed me off. I couldn't just stand there and watch him shoot those people right in front of me. It was... rage. Pure rage... Just made me mad.
Lt. Cmdr. Robby Jackson: Here's hoping you never get mad at me, man.

The second Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan film. Here Alec Baldwin's Jack Ryan has been recast to be played by Harrison Ford, who is good, if a little old for the part. The movie is a revenge driven action film that strips away the plot complexities of Clancy novels in favor of action. That being said, the film stretches its plot pretty thin and doesn't become very enjoyable.

As mentioned, Ford is Jack Ryan. He is in London with his family, when he witnesses an attempted IRA assassination. Ryan is able to become involved, killing one of the assassins in the process. Bad new for Jack arises, when the assassin is shown to be the brother of one of the other assassins, played by Sean "why can't you play more good guys" Bean.

Following the inevitable prison escape, Jack Ryan must now fight to prevent revenge from being taken on him and his family.

What the movie benefits from is its lead actors. Ford is always capable, conveying the emotion of a man who doesn't like violence, but is forced to use it. Bean is equally good as the villain and the movie provides a good amount of screen time to developing him as such.

Once again however, the movie is dragged down by stretching its plot out for two hours, without being very elaborate to make it very bearable. The last part is good enough, but also drowns itself in cliches involving sneaking around the darkened house, before jumping into a rainy night speed boat chase sequence.

Its made well enough as a film, but not entertaining enough or very deep as a substitute.

Sean Miller: How's the family, Ryan? Nearly lost 'em, didn't you? It's easy to get at them. You should look after your family better, you know? Are you there?
Jack Ryan: Yeah.
Sean Miller: I understand your little girl's feeling better, eh? Lost her spleen though, eh? Pity, that. Make it a mighty tough on her to fight off infection, eh Jacky?
Jack Ryan: You sick son of a bitch!
½ July 29, 2007
a good entertaining political action/thriller. It has a strong cast and worth watching when you can.
July 30, 2007
A nice little thriller.
thmtsang
July 14, 2007
Excellent thriller.
½ July 9, 2007
An action suspense film with Harrison Ford. The scene at the house later in the film was well done. It felt long, but was very engaging. It delivers action as promised.
Beefy
½ April 25, 2007
My favorite Jack Ryan movie.
sainttom93
January 14, 2007
Not as good as the other 2 films in the trilogy --
deano
October 16, 2006
One of an excellent thriller and Harrison Ford is one of the best Jack Ryan character in Ryan thriller films based on Tom Clancy's novels.
September 11, 2006
An explosive thriller. Swift, smart and fast paced. Quick paced action. Predictable suspense. Ford is in top form.
kpn666
½ June 29, 2006
one of the best terrorist thriller around - believable and entertaining.
½ February 9, 2013
The adventures of Jack Ryan continue in Patriot Games. When Ryan thwarts an assassination attempt on a member of the Royal Family by a fringe wing of the IRA, they vow to get revenge on him and his family. Harrison Ford takes on the role of Jack Ryan, and is joined by Sean Bean, Anne Archer, and James Earl Jones. The film is full of suspense and riveting action sequences. However, the pacing is rather poor, causing the film to lose its momentum a few times. And, the story sort of comes apart in the last act. Still, despite a few issues Patriot Games is a smart and thrilling action film.