Payday

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Payday Reviews

Tim S

January 30, 2009
Rip Torn is fucking amazing in this flick. I have always appreciated him, but felt it was sad that most people will remember him for Men in Black and Dodgeball (which he was funny in, but, still..) because you see him in a performance like this. The script is pretty interesting but takes some dumb, movie cliche turns that went against it's day in the life type story line. I could have watched Rip Torn talk to people all day, but they had to get a plot going and the co-stars are bad at best. The thing that saved this movie was the ending which I loved and wondered why the middle of the movie went so wrong.
Robert F

July 30, 2009
A feeling very close to exhaustion, a kind of psychic emptiness, pervades this film.
Will Errickson
May 18, 2009
"Argh! Fuck y'all! I'm not public property!" So says country star (the mighty Rip Torn) burning it at both ends. Women and whiskey, cops and confidants, it don't matter: payday coming soon. Intereseting, minor early '70s character study. Grab a bottle of Wild Turkey and enjoy. Songs by Shel Silverstein. Western shirts by WIN.
May 13, 2009
FilmGrinder S.
January 10, 2014
76%

"Get your hands off my dog!"-Muary Dann (Rip Torn)

Torn's best preformance.

"You didn't earn it."-Muary Dann
Jack D.
October 2, 2011
Torn's toothy grin is a beacon of light in this, his best film. Playing Maury Dann, an unmitigated louse and an up and coming C&W singer, Torn gives us the unvarnished view of life on the road. This is what "You're Cheatin' Heart" should have looked like. And if you listen carefully, you will notice "She's Just a Country Girl" is replicated in at least one other film of the 70's: "The China Syndrome" when Fonda meets Jack Lemmon in a rural honky tonk to get the dirt on the nuclear power plant. This film has always been an unheralded masterpiece.
heapshake
March 15, 2010
Torn does a great job of portraying a narcissistic madman who happens to sing country music.
Pablo V.
December 5, 2009
Payday is a clever and adventurous film that came out at a very interesting crossroads in cinema history. This film truly captures the the biting and creative essence of American cinema in the early 1970's and remains one of the under the radar gems of this period.
This is a must see for any Rip Torn fan as he gives one of the best performances of his career playing crazed country music star Maury Dunn, whose excessive lifestyle follows him as fast as he can run from it. The entire story of the film takes place in just 36 hours and does a good job in engrossing the viewer in the characters and pacing of the story from the very start of the film.
Payday is an enjoyable on the road adventure that condenses humor and adrenaline into an hour and fourty minutes of wild and intriguing story lines and dialouge and is an enjoyable watch any day of the week.
Patrick R.
March 6, 2009
The pacing is almost perfect. The whole thing is only two days, but the flow is so carefully modulated that interest never flags. Very brightly colored photography. Torn's character is carefully constructed: a self-centered artist focused on money, indifferent to morality, indifferent to self-preservation, a guy who sells out his friend without a pang, but a guy who finds meaning in music. Ahna Capri is jaw-dropping as the innocent groupie, putty for the men but a real hard case for female competitors.
I was transfixed by this movie, and couldn't get it out of my head for many hours.