20% The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Pebble and the Penguin Reviews

Anthony L

December 2, 2013
After watching this film recently I read this on the IMDB page 'Don Bluth so hated the final results of the movie after production was wrapped up that he demanded to be uncredited as the director'. This makes total sense to me. Don Bluth is a great animator and I love his work. The Pebble and the Penguin is pretty shoddy and represents the last of the 2D films of its kind and you can see why they died out. Animation aside, there is no character development, the story makes no sense at all and the dialogue is pretty bad. The evil penguin looks like a wolf which makes it even more confusing. It could have been so lovely but it ruins itself by pretending to be something it isn't and sticking to formula instead of coming up with something new.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
Just like all movies with penguins, this movie is cute and somewhat funny, but not great. I liked it better when I was a kid, but it wasn't a favourite.
Jason O

September 14, 2009
A shy and not so tough penguin named Hubie (Martin Short) falls in love with the good looking Marina (Annie Golden). Once he finds out that he might actually have a chance to be Marina's mate for the upcoming mating season, he tries to find her the most spectacular pebble possible. For this group of penguins, a pebble is just like a wedding ring that we humans use. But there's some rough and icy waters in store for Hubie. Not only is there a macho penguin who also wants Marina, but humans and of course whales, may also pose a threat.
Back when I was a kid, I wanted to see "The Pebble and the Penguin" when it first came out in 1995, but I never got the chance to see it until today. I have to admit that it's not as good as I thought it would be, but it wasn't bad either. It has good animation, it's mildly entertaining, and it would probably be especially great for kids who like animated movies. However, on the bad side, it could've been a lot better in almost every aspect and I was disappointed with the music. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. I'm not disappointed in many animated flicks, but this one I sorta was, although it has its charm.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
decent flick but a little strange
Matt P

December 14, 2011
A blatantly banal and mediocre story any five-year-old is capable of writing that's full of unintentionally creepy animation, stereotypical characters, and awkward dialogue.
Gavin the moviejunkie1994
July 10, 2010
Looking back at Bluth's previous entries from the 90s, I was beginning to think about what I think about this one. Well, just say that when I was a little kid, I seemed to enjoy it, but as a young adult, I'm gonna call this movie decent. So, some of you are wondering why a 60%? Here's the reason why.

Here are some letdowns.

Letdown #1: The story was just... weird for a movie about penguins despite it's credit for a romance between two main characters. There were some things that were unexplained like "Why do penguins have clothing and hands to begin with?" and "Where did the three non-penguin birds came from?".

and Letdown #2: The songs made by Barry Manilow (despite it's decent music score from Mark Watters) were mediocre. "Now and Forever" (pop song included), "Sometimes I Wonder" and reprise and "Don't Make Me Laugh" were enjoyable, but the rest weren't that catchy at all.

That's it for the letdowns. Now for the highlights.

The animation is very good, the character designs aren't that bad, and the voice acting is entertaining.

So, is this movie weird? Well, kind of, but once you compare it to A Troll In Central Park, it's not a bad movie. It's just a decent and very cute penguin movie and it's worth watching for kids who like decent entertainment.

6/10
Curt C

September 9, 2009
Lovable, shy Hubie plans to marry the girl of his dreams by presenting her with the most beautiful pebble at the mating ceremony. Alas, Hubie is swept away by the ocean and has to find his way back before the ceremony is over.

This is a Don Bluth animation, and bears many of his fingerprints. Lovable penguins? Oddly enough, it works, and the story is acceptable kids fare. What doesn't work, is the Don Bluth Villain. Drake the Evil Penguin? Who resides in Skull Mountain? Seriously? He adds nothing to the plot and confuses the moral. This movie could desperately use some addition by subtraction.
June 8, 2010
Even tho it WAS NOT A CHRISTIAN MOVIE Marina looked on the inside unlike the other girl's. (1 Samuel 16:7.).
June 4, 2009
Pretty cute movie, I remember seeing it when it came out, it was supposed to bre the best kid movie of the year. A little dark at parts though.
robertfangirl
March 30, 2009
this movie is very cute and shows that true love doesn't matter by the gifts you get by a guy it matters by how much he loves you for what you are.
djradabaughmetaldrummer
April 9, 2008
I've seen alot of kids movies, and this one I heard alot of complaints, and I didn't like it myself.
March 1, 2008
I love many Don Bluth animated features, but this was a poorly made film. Even for its time the animation is pretty cheap and the characters are strange looking. Penguins with teeth? Martin Short is annoying as the shy and stuttering lead, Hubie. Even Tim Curry was cringe-worthy as the Gaston-like villain, Drake! The supporting characters, Rocko and Marina were the best but they don't carry the whole film. The music was written by Barry Manilow and is frankly quite cheesy. It just doesn't work here as it does in other films like Elton John with the Lion King, Bryan Adams with Spirit and Phil Collins with Tarzan. There are a few chuckle worthy scenes and some decent action that would perhaps appeal to small children. I was overall disappointed though.
July 17, 2007
A cute, wonderful child's film. Herby is a clumbsy penguin looking for his love pebble. Along the way, he meets an array of characters who help him on his journey to rescue the penguin that he loves. Based on the fact that certain species of penguins really do give the pebbles to their mates and mate for life. It's a sweet story, filled with a lot of heart.
shoeless11
June 11, 2007
I think we have this movie, but I haven't watched it in a while. From what I remember, it was okay.
lak6usa
June 4, 2007
This is such a cute movie! I absolutely love it. I love the beginning song and how it starts out with music sheets and I absolutely love the penguins. They're so cute!
February 5, 2007
Man, the art in this is not very good, but the story is sweet enough. I have to like it because I used to watch it all the time.
jessmjordan
January 20, 2007
i must say this is a good movie that teaches kids about love and what is at stake when you fall in love , with really cute and funny characters. it is a learning experience for them but they just do not realize it yet. also the concept is so easy for kids to grasp that it just kicks most other lovey dovey kid movies!!!
seirA
June 29, 2006
omigosh! i haven't seen this movie in forever! this was another movie that i loved when i was a kid.
Taylor B.
August 10, 2014
Not Don Bluth's best work, but really, it was passable.
July 7, 2014
It's OK. The animation is nice, but the characters and story do nothing to distinguish themselves from Beauty and the Beast, which far outdoes Pebble & The Penguin.