A Perfect World Reviews

garyX
½ December 24, 2006
An escaped convict takes an 8 year old boy hostage and is pursued in the resulting manhunt by a motley assortment of lawmen headed by pragmatic good ol' boy Clint Eastwood. The fact that the central characters of this film are a desperate criminal and an 8 year old Jehovah's witness (not to mention Costner's presence) would probably provoke a groan from more cynical cinephiles expecting a saccharine drenched schmaltz-fest about "learning from each other" and "growing as a person". And they'd be right in some respects as that pretty much is what the film is all about, but thanks to Eastwood's sensitive direction it manages to sidestep cloying sentimentality and the result is an endearing road movie cum western with a streak of gentle humour. The weak link is probably Kevin Costner and if it weren't for the obvious age issues I think he and Clint would've been better served swapping roles, but he still gives a decent performance as the damaged career criminal who comes to share a common bond with his tiny captive. Perhaps the message about the penal system gets a little lost in amongst all the good natured banter, but it's still an intelligent and sensitive offbeat thriller that's well worth seeking out.
TheDudeLebowski65
July 7, 2011
I'm very biased towards Clint Eastwood films. I believe that he is a terrific director and actor, and he's also one of my favorites actors. I thought that A Perfect World is a wonderful drama that is among Clint Eastwood's best. Not only does Eastwood direct, but he also acts in this film. The story surrounds a kidnapped boy and a convict who become friends as the convict, Butch (Kevin Costner) shows Phillip (T.J Lowther) the joys of life as Phillip is a Jeovah's Witness and has never enjoyed stuff that other kids do. This film has a good heart, and is very charming as we see Butch' and Phillip's friendship unfold. There are a few violent parts, but this film has a very good story. This is the type of film only Clint Eastwood could make. A Perfect World is a near perfect film, and this is one of Kevin Costner's best films. I absolutely enjoyed this film and I thought it great. There are a few things that could have been perfected, but theres so little mistakes in this film that one can forgive its imperfections. A wonderful story, brought to life by a great cast and a great director, A Perfect World is simply a terrific, well acted film that is another Eastwood classic. This is definitely a film that Clint Eastwood fans shouldn't pass up. A remarkable film that is sad, funny and powerful, A Perfect World is awonderful drama film that should be seen.
blkbomb
May 30, 2011
A Perfect World is a very good and very underrated Clint Eastwood film. Kevin Costner is great as Butch Haynes. It possibly is his greatest performance of his career. Lowther is very convincing in his role as Phillip and helps take the movie from good to great. The movie takes you through a gauntlet of emotions through their performances. At times it is fun to watch and at other times it is very sad. The movie deserves much more exposure then it has, which is surprising seeing as it's a Clint Eastwood movie.
½ January 13, 2011
Walkin's for squares.

Clint Eastwood delivers a moving tale about a boy kidnapped and held as hostage by an escaped convict. Devoid of a male role model, the boy bonds with Butch, played by an engaging Kevin Costner as they are hunted down by the law.

As a child I loved this film and all these years on it still proves to tug on the same sentimental heart strings it did all those years ago. The ending is heartbreaking as you cheer on the bad guy and his new found buddy.

A must see for everyone.
½ August 16, 2009
Two of my favorite actors in one movie: Kevin Costner and Clint Eastwood, who not only acts but directs this one. It was just as good as I would've anticipated, maybe even better.
March 29, 2008
This is one of my favorites and, in my opinion, an underrated gem. Costner gives one of his best performances in this film.
October 19, 2007
A materpiece. Director, Clint Eastwood crafts a beautifully told and heart-breaking drama. Stunning, bold, riveting and breathtaking. One of Easdtwood's finest films and one of Costnert's finest roles. Kevin Costner gives a gripping and exceptional performance. Clint Eastwood is subtel and teriffic. A film of rare calibur and emotional depth. A film you will not be able to turn away from. It's enjoyable and unforgettable. It's all heart.
½ November 7, 2006
Great movie.
deano
October 29, 2006
Eastwood and Costner confront each other from opposite sides of the law in this movie. Costner has a great performance as a person escape and the father figure with a young hostage.
March 1, 2013
This is a film that is quietly tremendous in its story telling and acting. Kevin Costner is terrific in a subdued performance as an ex con loser, named Butch, on the run. He seems to have nothing to lose, when he takes a young boy hostage. The irony is that the boy, as his hostage, gives Butch a chance at a sort of redemption. His chief pursuer is Texas Lawman, Red Garnett, played by a lower key Clint Eastwood. The beauty of this film is that the two heavyweight stars(Costner was in his prime) let the script dictate the pace and somber tone of this movie. The score is haunting and the film directed by Eastwood, is a minor masterpiece.
½ December 9, 2010
"A Perfect world" (1993) is the kind of a motion picture that lefts me grappling with some rather conflicting feelings. I'm a huge fanatic when it comes to good old Mr. Eastwood and I've always admired him and his quite spectacular movies. Therefore it's always been a hard job to even say something bad about his flicks. It's also pretty difficult to claim this is a lousy film considering that it has an excellent acting (especially from C.E. himself) and it's a nice, firm and well-made work from Clint. I just don't like the most disappointing story, just like I didn't like the story of his next film "The Bridges of Madison County" (1995). Why is it that whenever I see Dirty Harry Callahan torturing his victims or Josey Wales spitting on a forehead of a corpse I find it rather amusing and entertaining but when a movie tries to make adultery acceptable (like in "The Bridges of Madison County") or represents religion as the biggest enemy I find it much harder to approve. There's no denying it, "A Perfect world" is basically a good movie.
November 4, 2007
A Perfect World should have been called "IN" A Perfect World, due to the fact that the world we are seeing is far from perfect. This film takes a look at the nature of violence and compassion through the eyes of a child and a hardened criminal. In one of the first films directed by the legendary Clint Eastwood, Kevin Costner gives one of the best performances of his career. As Butch Haynes, he is seemingly a hardcore criminal who only cares about himself until a kidnapping victim starts to change who he is. Haynes sees this boy comes from the same situation he did, but he doesn't want to see him to turn out the same way. While, newcomer T.J. Lowther is the focus of the film, he only does an adequate job in his role, showing little emotion and not quite speak clearly enough. To me, Eastwood himself steals the show as the sheriff chasing Haynes. It's his typical strong, cold, silent character that still chills you to the bone. Overall it's a very strong, well written film, with a great cast, and I highly recommend it!
½ October 23, 2008
Wow! I really empathized with the killer and felt bad for the little boy that he had no male role model to look up to and he felt a kindred spirit with a man on the run from the law. The movie is about the friendship between the boy and the convict but the other plotline is deadbeat dads or abusive ones.
½ March 12, 2009
The Laura Dern, Clint Eastwood side story is sadly predictable and unnecessary. In the end I just wanted more of the Kevin Costner "road trip" portion which is very strong and features one of Costner's best performances. The exploration of violence against children by their parents is incredibly fascinating and its inclusion in the story gives it an interesting twist that wouldn't normally exist in a film like this.
July 5, 2008
The unlikely pairing of Eastwood and Costner, works well in this crime drama. Costner's gives a strong performance, and is complimented by his young co-star. I also liked the chemistry between Eastwood and Laura Dern, and how Clint filmed the movie using light textures, so that the movie had a real 50's feel.
May 15, 2008
Good dialogue and good performances. Sad ending, I remember watching this when I was younger. Not Eastwood's best film but still good.
Dracula787
May 26, 2008
Clint Eastwood?s follow up to Unforgiven continues with the more enlightened take on violence seen in his later directorial works. The film takes place in Texas during the early 60s and depicts a manhunt for an escaped convict who has taken a child hostage. The convict, played by Kevin Costner, is not the cruel killer the police think he is and an odd Stockholm-ish friendship forms between the convict and his young hostage. The film is very well directed and Costner gives what may be the best performance of his career, I usually hate him but he really impressed me here. Eastwood is also good playing a smaller role than usual, unfortunately a lot of the supporting and bit performers are fairly weak and there are some poor bits of Hollywood stupidity. The overall story is good and the direction is great, chalk this up as a flawed but still very strong work.
May 29, 2013
Kevin Costner steals the show in this Clint Eastwood film. A beautiful movie where everything adds up nicely including its story, morals, and overall meanings.
½ February 24, 2010
Great film. I guess I need to watch this again and again to understand it fully, but this film, as title suggests, is dealing with all the basic things of human life, that is, friendship, father's love, mother's love, child's love, family, religion, politics, violence, death... As characters talk about it in the film, there's no perfect life, and the world is never perfect, but humans can hope and can pass down the dreams to the younger - I guess the point is that the world is perfectly imperfect. The death is not meaningless, and of course, neither is life. It's moving to watch Eastwood and Costner finally meet each other at the end of the film.
November 22, 2010
A Perfect World, Great Movies
Clint Eastwood's perspective on the human condition is remarkable. In this film, he takes the best of each cadre of the cast and seems to make the entire thing about everyone's agenda. Keith Szarabajka is the perfect sociopath, and you can tell he is not long for the film. Kevin Costner is not a career criminal, just a wild youth who got sent up on the recommendation of Garnett years ago, a recommendation he is now regretting. Eastwood and Dern are the realists on the Law Enforcement side, trying to cope with a situation while dealing with the politics of the situation. Bradley Whitford should really be in the prison uniform, but instead plays the FBI sniper who is intent on proving to everyone his testosterone levels are up to the task. Throughout the film, the relationship between Costner and Lowther is the principle theme, and you can tell Costner's character is basically a decent person, although there are some things in his understand of life that need a little adjustment. The end of the film is as powerful as the beginning, and this early Eastwood epic ranks up there with *Unforgiven* and *Million Dollar Baby* as a powerful film with a subtle, but provocative message.