Movies Like Phenomenon

Phenomenon Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

December 19, 2012
An average American man working as a mechanic in a California town finds himself granted supernatural abilities on his 37th birthday in this whimsical dramedy starring John Travolta.

There was speculation that this film had ties to Scientology, but I really wouldn't know, nor do I care to get involved in that discussion. I just remember my dad saying (sometime back in the 90s), that this was the only Travolta film (at that time at least), that he thought was any good. I didn't, and still don't agree with that, but it is a pretty good film nonetheless.

I liked that this regular guy gets powers just out of happenstance, and how the film concerns him and everyone else around him, having to deal with the positive and negative consequences of this situation.

It's been forever since I've seen this, so my memory of it is hazy, but I seem to recall that, while it does have fun with him messing around with his powers, it actually takes the situation seriously too, and mostly does so without being too heavy handed.

The performances are good, the concept quite nice, and in the end it makes you all warm and fuzzy, and all that mushy stuff, so if that sounds good to you, then give it a shot.
Red L

June 10, 2011
There are a few movies out there where something out-of-the-ordinary causes the hero to become a genius. It always seems to be a temporary phenomenon. This movie is no exception to the rule.

I did not mind it - somehow it is a satisfying movie - perhaps the wish that one can solve all the world's ills.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 27, 2011
Sad and depressing, but hadmany heartwarming scenes. But really? Tumor superpowers.
jagfire
jagfire

November 6, 2010
They could've done a lot more with the premise, instead he just moves stuff and writes scientific crap down. Oh and does a nasty girl.
Rachel F

September 8, 2010
3 stars
Conner R

May 2, 2010
Tumors giving you super powers is just too weird, even for me. The camp and false sense of sensitivity are just flat out offending. I think in many ways this was the start of my temporary hatred for John Travolta or at least the high point. It's just a lazy and terrible movie all around. While I can usually find something redeeming about most bad movies, this really doesn't have anything going for it.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 9, 2009
After Michael they filmed Phenomenon, I rather stuck with Michael because of the comedy but I phenomenon has some nice scenes too.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

November 1, 2009
Good story but the latter half of the film drags and the conclusion has it's faults.
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
Hard to believe this was the must see film of 1996!
Jason O

August 15, 2009
Phenomenon is a great movie in every sense. It's about a mechanic (John Travolta) that sees a bright light in the sky one night and wakes up the next morning to find out he's a genius. He knows things such as when and where an earthquake is about to strike, national defense secrets, and he learns a new language in a matter of minutes. All the while he's interested in a good looking woman (Kyra Sedgwick), and like the other people she is scared of Travolta's new power of knowing just about everything. Watch Phenomenon and you'll see how a man struggles with his friends and the media even though he knows just about everything and could do any job on earth since this light hit him.
John Travolta gives a phenomenal performance in Phenomenon and this is one of the most underrated movies of all time. Travolta and Phenomenon should've won a few oscars, but it wasn't even nominated for any. Kyra Sedgwick, Robert Duvall, Forest Whitaker, and the kids also give good performances throughout the film. Phenomenon is without a doubt John Travolta's best drama film so far and one of my favorite movies of all time. If you're a Travolta fan or you like drama movies, I recommend getting Phenomenon because it's phenomenal to say the least. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. This is still an excellent movie and one of Travolta's highlights. Fully recommended!!!
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 10, 2007
A bit unbelieveable but i gues if you like john travolta then you'll like this film but its not as good as johns other films and a bit of a disappointment
Tim S

good flick
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 5, 2007
Excellent performance by John. Movie about a man who figures out national defense secrets.
Lafe F

July 24, 2007
Long and over-the-top John Travolta drama. he acquires special psychic powers, which benefits his community. It's a bit sappy and over-powering. Eventually, the system wants to use him, which makes things not so fun. The plot tries too hard, I think. I always get this movie confused with the Dario Argento movie named "Phenomena"!
Jason S

February 26, 2007
I liked the movie and the fact that the movie was serious and in the end was pretty down to earth.
garyX
garyX

February 26, 2007
A nice idea and decent cast are let down by an incredibly superficial script that never goes anywhere and has very little to say. Ultimately empty and pointless.
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
Great movie.
Michael G

October 25, 2006
Travolta never learned his lesson, did he?