—— Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Pineapple Express Reviews

Jens S

August 9, 2008
Incredibly low and silly action comedy about a couple of pot smokers stumbling into a case of corrupt cops and gang wars. The creators obviously thought it counts as humor if you're throwing ash trays at people's ears or just let them mumble nonsense. The surprisingly bloody but pointless showdown doesn't safe much anymore. This is boring and lacks any appeal like surprises, likable characters or a coherent plot. Catastrophic and a shame for everyone involved. Avoid at all costs.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 1, 2011
Saul: It's almost a shame to smoke it. It's like killing a unicorn... with, like, a bomb.

"Put This in Your Pipe and Smoke It."

Pineapple Express is one of my favorite stoner comedies of all-time. It "hits" all the "high" points that it needs to. It also pulled a great and soon to be classic performance out of James Franco as Saul the drug dealer/stoner. Everything he does, from his mannerisms to how he talks to what he says is a perfect parody/impersonation of a stoner. His performance doesn't reach the level of say Sean Penn in Fast Times, but it is one of the best stoner performances I have ever seen.

Dale and his drug dealer, Saul, end up on the run from a corrupt cop and a major drug kingpin Ted. Their experience takes them through shootouts, fist fights, car chases, and wooded adventures. There are some classic scenes in this film. I especially love the woods scene. It's a perfect piece of pothead paranoia and is actually not far from some experiences you've had while smoking the cannabis.

The film has its share of problems. I won't deny that at all. Still this is a film that I can watch and re-watch and watch again. People who aren't laughing after the first scene where we see where the prohibition of marijuana came from should just give up on it there, because it's a sign of the humor to come. This is strictly a drug comedy. Sure there are elements of other forms of comedy, slapstick and sex comedy included; but as The 40 Year Old Virgin was to sex comedies, Pineapple Express is to drug comedies.

If you're a fan of this genre, you'll absolutely love this film. If you aren't, you still might like it because it's better than 90% of drug comedies. So give it a try. You may not like it, but then again you may be like me and won't be able to stop laughing. If you want a little help with the experience, toke up beforehand. You'll be howling.
Eugene B

August 30, 2008
Seth Rogen and James Franco make an unbreakable bond in this smart-witted comedy that's stoned out! The new type of comedy presents more perverse dialogue and dark laughter. But it's still executed well and makes up exceeding due to it's co-stars. 4/5
Lucas M

January 28, 2012
Pineapple Express bring the nostalgia from the buddy/actions comedy genres from the 80's. Fresh.
Sophie B

October 23, 2011
Wasn't sure what to expect but it did give quite a few good laughs and had me involved throughout. Sometimes it did feel a bit awkward watching two grown men role around on the floor groping each other but it soon got back to something better.
Lady D

April 29, 2009
An out of hand situation escalates in a comical Seth Rogan kind of way. The shocker of the film for me was James Franko, who should have been out of his comfort zone here, yet it worked so well!

Enjoyable and easy watching.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 24, 2011
The characters could have been played by anyone as no actor in the film were able to express what they can actually do. Such as Seth Rogen, the central protaganist. Despite this Pineapple Express has belly aching laughs and sometimes emotion.
Sanjay R

September 7, 2010
A good performance by Rogen, a great performance by Franco and great chemistry between them carries this movie. On top of that it is written and shot pretty well.
Eric A

September 30, 2011
When Seth Rogan was cool and original. Very funny and relevant to us all in some way or another.
jamers2011
jamers2011

January 19, 2011
Eh, pretty funny. Entertaining! I wish I could have hated it, but I can't lie, I enjoyed it. Overall, the script really surprised me. It was actually smart and genuinely funny. I particularly enjoyed James Franco and Gary Cole's characters. However, there were way too many moments ruined by the simple fact that the actors did nothing but say "dude," or "fuck." It's almost like they ran out of ideas so they said something, and hoped the audience would like it. It ultimately held the film down and created a few silly scenes. I hate silly! But overall, Pineapple Express is a really good comedy flick!
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 2, 2011
A classic, best pothead film in a long time. Stoner Dale Denton (Seth Rogen) is a insurance salesman who on one of his sales he witnesess a murder, and the first place he goes after is his friend and his weed supplier Saul (James Franco). The rest of the film the two have a hilarious journey as they get high, escape the killers, and try not to f#ck up everything. The plot was so dumb but thats the point, the characters are the true star of the movie. James Franco and Seth Rogen are amazing together, they should team up for movies. Overall I liked this film a lot, funniest movie in a long time.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
Another great film by Judd Apatow! James Franco and Seth Rogan make a great comedy duo throughout the film. A must see!
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 6, 2011
Pineapple Express is yet another terrific example of a good stoner comedy. Acted by Seth Rogen, James Franco, Danny McBride and Gary Cole; Pineapple Express is a hilarious ride. Seth Rogen plays a process server who delivers a subpoena to a drug lord (Gary Cole) and witnesses a murder in the process. Admidst the chaos, Dale Denton (Rogen) drops his joint, and flees. Drug Dealer Ted Jones doesn't take long to kind out who the joint belongs to as the type of weed used in the joint is called Pineapple Express, thus Ted Jones knows who he sold it to very quickly and gets the manhunt going. The comedy in Pineapple Express is well executed and you have some very funny characters. Even if Gary Cole plays the villain here, he's pretty humourous too, I mean he's the guy who played Bill Lumburgh after all. Pineapple Express is a very funny film that delivers good laughs. The film has some great comedic performances and it delivers on the laughs. The film mah be fl;awed, but it succeeds in creating a memorable stoner comedy thats very funny. The film has plenty of great comedic moments and its a very fun and end entertaining comedy.
Drake T

June 5, 2011
Pineapple Express rarely delivers the laughs. It's like being the designated driver at a party watching a bunch of your drunk pals getting high and acting like idiots.

The movie then proceeds to spiral into an incredibly generic action film that leaves much to be desired.

The emotional merits of their friendship are ultimately made insignificant, by the end of this film you really, really don't care about these characters.

All in all? huge disappointment from Rogen.
Kase V

May 17, 2011
Another hilarious script by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, i love this movie. The wordplay applied by these fantastic actors can keep people in stitches. Another great comedy.
Fernando Rafael Q

January 5, 2009
Thank God for comedies like this. Once again, Seth Rogen proves he's not only a decent actor, he's a very talented writer, too. Penned by Judd Apatow, Evan Goldberg, and Rogen, Pineapple Express is a hilarious, thoroughly entertaining and surprisingly violent film. Quotable lines and solid performances, especially from the underrated Danny McBride and a career "high" from James Franco.
Matt G

January 21, 2011
Dale Denton: Except if you're a dick your whole life, your next shell will be made of shit, okay? If you're an asshole, you're gonna come back as a cockroach or a worm or a fuckin' anal bead, okay? If you're a man and you act heroic, you'll come back as an eagle. You'll come back as a dragon. You'll come back as Jude Law, okay? Which would you rather be?

We's gonna rock down to electric avenue.

Pineapple Express is one of the funniest movies of all time.

Plot: A lazy stoner (Seth Rogen) is the sole witness to a murder by an evil drug lord (Gary Cole) and a corrupt cop (Rosie Perez). Marked for death, he runs for his life, dragging his dazed dealer (James Franco) and his supplier (Danny McBride) with him on a hilarious smokin' adventure.

I thought this was just going to be a normal Seth Rogen comedy, I was so surprised. This is an action-packed, stoner comedy!

I want to acknowledge James Franco, who played dazed drug dealer Saul Silver. The Spider-Man star really shined in this movie. He was hilarious!

Saul: What? Fuck Jeff Goldblum!
Alexander W

March 13, 2011
Its an outrageously fashionable pot smoking, fun, gun wielding, dilema solving modern noir slash comedy. There definately a good few laughs packed in there!
Christopher A

January 10, 2011
Upon my first watch of this film i've got to admit - I just didnt get it.
This was probably about a year ago and today I ventured back into the world of Sol and Dale Denton and on second viewing, I absolutely loved it.

The premise of the story follows Dale Denton, a bit of a loser who witnesses a murder and then leaves his roach linking him to the only guy in town selling this specific
type of weed: "Pineapple Express". Much crazyness ensues as Dale and his dealer 'Sol', played by the fantastic James Franco drawing so many laughs along the way.

TREE TREE TREE squirrel!

Dont watch this if youre expecting a realistic, serious film. Its meant to be taken with a pinch of salt and if you're open to that, you'll love it.
Dan S

August 8, 2008
A worthy addition to the "stoner-comedy" genre, with James Franco's career-resurrecting performance as the world's ultimate slacker who gets himself as well as one of his buyer's (Seth Rogen) embroiled in a drug crime spree that has many degenerates involved. Consistently hilarious as well as great fun from an action standpoint, this is a sure winner, thanks to a cast that is very talented as well as a strong director at the helms. It is not quite the comedic blast "Superbad" is, but it is certainly one of the better comedies to come out in the 2000's.