42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Ping Pong Playa Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

July 9, 2011
"People always think that, you know, Chinese people are only good at math, martial arts, and mu shu pork, you know? But basketball, hey, that was really my thing back in the day, you know what I'm saying? I used to play on the JV squad."

Ping Pong Playa is about Christopher "C-Dub" Wang. He's an underachieving, lazy young adult who has no ambitions. He spends his time playing video games, reading comic books, and making up excuses about why he's not in the NBA. Obviously it's genetic, he is Chinese and says that we are all short. He starts teaching a ping pong class and ultimately ends up competing in a ping pong competition in order to keep his families ping pong business thriving.

Honestly I expected to find Ping Pong Playa horrible. It's anything but horrible though. Jimmy Tsai as C-Dub was great. The ping pong scenes were really well done. The movie was very funny and had a lot to say about different stereotypes, such as Chinese people can't drive. Ping Pong Playa turned out to be a cool little movie. Hey, it beats Balls of Fury.
Lanning :

August 25, 2010
Totally ridiculous and very well done : )
Leigh R

May 5, 2010
Stupid, but made me laugh. I ended up liking it...
EightThirty .

September 4, 2009
Funny asian dude...
Makes you laugh hard out ha ha ha
Rico Z

October 23, 2008
It's the Chinese Napoleon Dynamite!!! Except this one trades in tether-ball for ping pong (or the more "politically-correct" term: table tennis.)

The movie was a lot more funny than Napoleon was at first viewing. This is the story of a dweeb loser who is Chinese but thinks he is black.

If you think you've seen this stereotype many times before, you're right. But never will you see it be so funny and refreshing. Not to mention, endearing.

There are tons of funny situations involving a fat kid, a duo of ambiguously gay ping pong rivals, and a tight pair of shorts. This is a great romp for anyone looking for a great laugh. Nothing serious here--just a helluva good time.
October 3, 2009
"The other ping pong movie." Its actually better than Balls of Fury despite having no one I recognized in the cast. Its starts of really good, but they run out of jokes, gets sappy and predictable at the end. A lot of laugh-out-load moments with the rampant ethnic stereotyping, but, sadly, only the Whites are not redeemed (typical).
April 1, 2009
Pretty funny! A silly comedy that deals with Chinese-America life, racism, stereotypes, and all kinds of things, firmly tongue-in-cheek.
Bengel W.
November 21, 2013
The portrayal of a Chinese American acting out as an African American is one of the funniest things you may see on screen. The actors throw there small bodies into the roles with gusto allowing the laughter to flow freely. Photography and lighting are rather bland giving an amateurish TV feel, however, the story and actors carry the entertainment well. Nibbles: Doufulu, rice congee.
September 8, 2013
A funny, enjoyable comedy that doesn't take too many risks, but still ends up being entertaining, despite somewhat following a formula. Also, Jimmy Tsai puts up a silly yet funny performance that works just right.
March 12, 2013
A funny comedy about ping pong. There have been a few other films about ping pong and such but this is probably the best. The main character Christopher Wang is that typical asian guy that acts black and gets very annoying. Don't be shocked if you get annoyed by him, like I did. The funny thing is I know people that are actually like him. This had it's moments that kept you sucked in. I felt the whole beginning was good and kept me interested, yet the middle went a little down hill and the end was just predictable but basically every sports movie is. It was funny to see they kept bleeping out the words using basketball noises and such. The acting wasn't terrible but it was just annoying seeing the main character act like such a tool when usually those are the guys you hate in the movie. It was funny and a pretty good comedy, not the best sports comedy but still good enough for a watch.
May 1, 2012
This movie has a lot of mojo.
April 21, 2012
Could that guy be anymore annoying.
January 16, 2012
As much as someone may be skeptical about this independent comedy from a documentary director they may want to give this light-hearted, slightly patriotic flick a chance. It gets a little rough towards the middle. When the competition training starts it stays on the fluffy side, but Ping Pong Playa showcases a sport that actually has a lot of class and theory behind it.
September 23, 2011
just rewatched this. ayos talaga.
July 20, 2011
I'll admit that there were moments of this movie that completely just didn't do it for me, but the laughs that succeeded were good enough to warrant a positive review. I would have given it 3.25 stars if that was an option.
July 20, 2011
I really enjoyed this. It was pretty hilarious. A good funny comedy to watch. They make fun of a lot of stereotypical things.
June 26, 2011
It's a silly, gleeful story of a wannabe Yao Ming turn ping pong champion. There are so very funny parts, none of which ae really crude in any way. Good for all audiences.
February 24, 2011
Asian american wanggsttaaa movie :)
December 15, 2010
Ping Pong Playa is enjoyable enough. simple and funny. my one major critique is that there were way too many montages. In actual content this movie should have been a short film.
Ben C.
October 17, 2010
Pretty funny, mostly because it revolves around such a ridiculous and funny character. Although the second half is somewhat reliant on music video montages, there are enough good jokes to keep everything moving.