Pirates of Silicon Valley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

YodaMasterJedi
August 27, 2011
three stars
December 19, 2008
I enjoyed the performances by the two main actors but the fake documentary left a little to be desired. I would have liked a more straight forward telling of the story in the traditional movie of the week way.
It did show me that both these guys are a little nuts. I guess that's what it takes to make the millions... a weak grasp of reality.
½ October 26, 2015
Good. 3.5-4.
½ November 7, 2011
A great dramatization of the birth of apple and Microsoft from the creators perspectives. You feel like you get a good look at there personalities and reasons for making themselves into the men they became without the filmmaker condoning or condemning there actions. Didn't even recognize Antony Michael hall, kind of an underrated actor. Its so fun to see all the amazing technology's that certain company's and individuals though was worthless and ended up changing the world. A great mix of learning and entertainment.
½ April 3, 2015
A nice move-along film that briefly describes some of the biggest moments that turned both Apple and Microsoft into a couple of the top most leading companies in the world. Microsoft may be the biggest when it comes to their computers and Apple when it comes to their smartphones, but Apple was rightfully the first to actually invent the whole business of the personal computer/device practically (and this film especially is one that proves it). As an Apple fan and a Microsoft semi-fan, this is one good movie.
½ August 20, 2014
Nearly every attempt at humor is cringe-worthy, but the story is never uninteresting, and some good performances were turned in.
½ January 22, 2013
As TV movies go, this was most excellent. Microsoft and Bill Gates are still just as evil as they were when they started. Praise Steve Jobs, hero and savior of mankind.
March 30, 2012
What a difference 13 years makes. Now Apple is the Cat and MS is the Canary. Quintoxically, Steve is dead and Bill is still with us. Great story and cast.
February 16, 2012
Watched this twice in one day. First time I didn't pay close attention. Second time I did, so I can write a better essay for class...on who the bigger villain is....spoiler alert...it's Steve Jobs, what a jerkface. Karma
September 15, 2011
I remember seeing this movie when it first aired on television in '99. Back then it was a fascinating look into the lives of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. But watching it again now after using and owning products from both Microsoft and Apple (even working at the latter for a little bit) I have a greater appreciation and understanding of the film. Highly recommended.
September 14, 2011
Decent TV movie about the invention of the home personal computer, and the battle between Apple and Microsoft in the early days. Its fascinating, and well acted, especially for a TV movie.
½ July 29, 2011
Interesting docu-drama on the rise of the PC, yet sadly the documentaryesque scenes do not work at all. It's frequently very cheesy, and seems as though the history is extremely simplified.
January 31, 2011
The only guy who seemed to take this movie seriously was Anthony Michael Hall, who did a create Bill Gates. The story is fascinating, but the script and dialogue terrible, like daytime soap opera terrible.

Love to see a remake/sequel in a few years. The second coming of Jobs is a great story.
½ November 14, 2010
Loved this movie. Based on a true story in a time when computers were beginning. Possibly I like it cause I played with a lot of those old computers at time and it's nice to see what else was going on that created them.
July 28, 2010
A must see film about 2 nerds who became Accidental Billionaires and changed the face of not just the Computer Industry but the whole world. The film has many Shakespeare like twists and betrayals while the superb acting by Noah Wyke (Steve Jobs) and Anthony Michael Hall (Bill Gates) was what made this movie great. The film also had it's humorous moments as well especially by Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer (John Di Maggio) which made the Microsoft story more humorous compared to the more serious Apple. This film is seriously underrated and could have had a wide film release instead of a TV made movie. It's a great movie and if you ever get to chance to see it on TV, the internet, or Netflix then i definitely recommend it. Hopefully "the Social Network" will be as good as this.
QueenCityFilms
September 6, 2010
Nothing too special, nothing too disappointing. Performances were okay. Script could have had a much stronger ending, and a couple of scenes had me yawning, but it was decent. This really, truly is a made for TV film. For me, it was a made for youtube, chunked into 10 parts film.

Thank you Steve Jobs, for dropping acid in college, shaving cats, and making computers.

Bill Gates can suck it.
February 3, 2010
Hilarious MUST SEE for anyone who loves Apple or Microsoft. Funny characterizations of Steve Jobs & Bill Gates in their East Coast/Harvard guy vs West Coast/Hippie dude rivalry.

Boisterous Steve Ballmer and sheepish Steve Wozniak are lovable as the sidekicks. Noah Wiley does a great job in his portrayal of the effusive Steve Jobs, including a crazy "drug trip" scene. Bill Gates is creepy, nerdy and driven. You have to laugh when you watch it.

Good historical perspective on the growth of the personal computer industry. I think they got it right. And, did it with lots of fun. Perfect movie for kids, teenagers and families.

Best part is the scene where Bill Gates & Steve Ballmer meet with IBM to sell their [non-existent] software on every PC. It really is history that should be taught to every school kid.
January 27, 2010
Gave this a 100 because it was very factual (and I love APPLE)! great movie... original... good directing... and always good to have it based on a true, incredible story...
August 10, 2006
Parts okay, parts Pretty good, a little weird but a pretty interesting story....loved the music. Did not know that Bill Gates and Steve Jobs got to the top by scheming and cheating....not too surprised.
½ December 28, 2009
I was just a little disappointed in this film. I think maybe I was expecting a little to much, but it still offered up a little entertainment.