Playing by Heart Reviews

August 22, 2014
A passable yet rather predictable romantic drama that, despite a top-notch cast, seems more interested in its element of surprise at the end, reducing all the complexity of its situations and themes to a happy ending where everything works out and is wrapped up in easy fashion.
stevenecarrier
½ March 3, 2011
I'm a bit confused as to why "Playing By Heart" has faded into oblivion since it debuted in 1998. First off, the cast is impeccable. "Playing By Heart" should be remembered for getting some of contemporary cinema's finest actors on screen together. Gillian Anderson, Angelina Jolie, Madeleine Stowe, Ellen Burstyn, Sean Connery, Anthony Edwards, Dennis Quaid, Gena Rowlands, Ryan Phillippe, Jay Mohr and Jon Stewart (yes, THAT Jon Stewart, who is shockingly great here) are all terrific. There is not a single weak spot in the ensemble. What's funny is that the actors are all so good that it almost seems like they are daring each other to top the next. Jolie, in an early performance, steals the whole picture, though. If this was not a showcase for what was to come, I don't know what is. The story is something we have seen before, mostly from the likes of Robert Altman, but none of it is ever trite or offensive. It's all played out with such grace and nuance that even it's somewhat conventional ending is welcomed. If you like movies about a group of interconnected people working through their lives and dealing with love and making connections (admittedly my favorite genre), then "Playing By Heart" is for you. I also recommend it on the merits of that incredible cast and the endlessly enticing dialogue. It all makes for a magical, resonant and sweet picture about the many sides of love.
arashxak
March 21, 2009
To my suprise this was good, Cheesy yes but also impressive
½ August 30, 2013
A delightful little film with an A-list roster of stars and a convoluted tale of relationships, beginning and ending and at a crossroads. I found myself caring about these characters, every one of them damaged goods in some way, but all of them looking for someone to love and to be loved by. A little bit schmaltzy at times, but its heart is in the right place and I dug it.
August 20, 2012
Play by Heart is a fairly entertaining and unconventional romantic comedy. The film follows several people throughout L.A., and the various kinds and stages of relationships that they're in. The cast is surprisingly good and includes Angelina Jolie, Ryan Phillippe, Gillian Anderson, Madeleine Stowe, and Sean Connery. The story is well written for the most part and has some interesting things to say about people and relationships. However, it takes on a few too many characters and forces itself a bit. While it has some issues, Play by Heart is a unique and entertaining film that has a good message.
September 2, 2010
Slice of Life / Romantic Comedy. It's a little choppy through the first half with the HUGE ensemble cast squared off in pairs. Contains a lot of the late 90's AIDS hysteria.
April 2, 2009
"Playing By heart" was seriously playing by Skill. It was emotional,sensational,comedical, and just right for a bad day. A true feel good inside film.
March 26, 2006
I remember it as a pretty great film, but have to rewatch it one day since it has been quite a while since I saw it.
½ March 4, 2009
More weird than anything else. It jumped from character to character too frequently and at times the writing came off as alternately sanctimonious or hackneyed, but there was something that kept it somewhat interesting. (Not Ryan Phillippe, who is terrible.) The rest of the cast--highlighted by Sean Connery--turn in interesting, nuanced performances, and I think that's what does the trick.
November 12, 2011
Disgustingly 90's "Love Actually", sure this came first, but holy hell. Cheesy lines, boring story, and mostly interesting characters, really make this movie painful to watch. The only saving grace is Sean Connery and Jon Stewart, but even with them, there are lots of problems to be had. I guess, I can say the movie didn't drag, but it wasn't a quick affair either. Also I fill like the mother-son relationship was too forced and didn't have much emotional weight to it, but that's the least of this movie's problems. Watch for a few laughs at how disgusting the 90's was and then move on with your life.

PROS: Sean Connery, Jon Stewart, a few laughs

CONS: Everything else
January 10, 2011
I really enjoyed the ensemble cast in roles that are away from their normal roles that made them famous. "Seductively funny" and "Hilarious" was right. A feel-good flick to watch if you're looking for an uplifting movie. "Talking about love is like dancing about architecture."
January 9, 2007
Way too high on the cheesy scale for my liking. But I'm definitely not upset I saw it, as it has an interesting and loaded cast combo. The problem is that these cast members had trouble trying to act effectively when they had to work with this artificial and incredibly unrealistic script.
May 26, 2008
One of my FAVORITE MOVIES EVER. I literally called people up just so I could gush about it. Forever my favorite Angelina Jolie Role...before she started to annoy me. ;) And Jon Stewart is adorable!!!
½ March 1, 2008
i really liked this film...it brought everything round full circle...the interactions between characters was touching and meaningful...
½ January 29, 2008
Don't remember too much details. All I remember is it was a very cute and warm-hearted movie, and I loved Dennis Quaid's character, and I liked the chemistery between Phillippe and Jolie...
January 19, 2008
I love this Movie it tells different stories about four different women who are all dealing with love in different ways. I could watch this movie all the time!
December 31, 2007
One of my favorite movies. Full cast is all well known actors which makes it unique. I highly recommend it.
June 18, 2006
I like these kind of movies that have a lot of different stories going on at once and they all converge together at the ending.
Each story was interesting and entertaining.
Great cast!
I liked how the age difference between the stories didn't make a difference in the situations.
I would recommend it if you like these type of movies.
May 16, 2007
Only 4 ANgie's part i give 5 stars. BUt thats y i see this movie 4 ! We see her talent in this movie. Look at what character she has ? A drunk wierd women. SHe is not Super girl or mean or even special girl in this movie.Just normal, diffrent from other movies she starred. We need luv.ANd findin luv by ur heart is the most important way to fin the right piece.
½ August 16, 2007
One of the best movies i've seen about love and family and it has a great suprise at the end! Love It!