Ponette - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ponette Reviews

flixsterman
½ January 19, 2009
I have no idea how Jacques Doillon managed to get such sincere performances out of 4 year old children (especially Victoire Thivisol) but Bravo Jacques, Bravo!
RCCLBC
June 1, 2007
This movie is so beautiful and touching. the star (Victoire Thivisol) is an AMAZING actress, The performances (especially the children's) are so real and natural that it's almost like watching a documentary.
July 16, 2006
A truly touching movie with brilliant acting by some of the most talented young actors I've ever seen. At the time this French film was produced, its protagonist was played by a 4-year old actress who carries this film on her small shoulders and carries it extremely well and better than most adult actors can only dream of carrying a film. The story is of an extremely sad nature and is very telling of how amazing these tiny thespians really are. To be able to act in a drama that deals with loss and tragedy and demands them to express a great amount of emotion not only showcases talent, but sucks you into the lives of these characters and makes you feel what they feel. By empathizing with a little thing like Ponette, you really feel for her and root for her until the very end. NOTE: French with English subtitles.
½ June 16, 2011
Victoire Thivisol gives such an amazing performance for such a young actress. I really loved the emotion protrayed in this film and the story was well-written. The director really brought it to life realistically I think... except for the end which went against everything in the beginning that people don't come back to life, except Jesus, until the rapture when everyone is resurrected. I really liked how the aunt was comforting Ponette but the other people in the movie who talked about God really got on my nerves... especially Ada, the girl on the playground. One of the best French films I've seen! :-)
brandonklaus2
March 17, 2009
Just be happy.
September 29, 2013
Amazing Breathtaking performance such a young child. God bless her so that she wasn't affected negatively by the movie. I wish her well.
December 12, 2012
The only time I have ever been brought as hard to my knees in tears as I have by Victoire Thivisol's performance was when my own father passed away. The sheer emotional weight that this girl carries was a little draining for me as I was not used to it, but it is impossible to take your eyes of this painful story and the extraordinary performance.
July 20, 2011
It is impossible to not project myself into this movie since I was also involved in a car accident with my father at the same age... Luckily, after months of battles against the death, he survived. Today, I am 40 and he is still alive. In this movie, Ponette is a 4-year-old girl who loses her mother in a car accident she was with her. Then, she finds herself among different people with different believes. So, she doesn't know what to think or to do... The only thing she needs is to get together with her mother. That's all she needs.
April 25, 2010
The simple story of a daughter dealing with the death of her mother is perhaps one of the most moving films I've ever seen.The performance of the 4 year old girl is amazing she literally rips your heart out.This film could make a stone cry.
June 11, 2007
Victoire was three when they started filming. Her acting is incredible! I hope to see more of her.
This movie will touch your soul, unless you don't have one. ;)
November 23, 2009
this little girl was only 4 and could act THAT GREAT?! i was so impressed by this film from france. so much talent from this little gem. so nice to see another kid besides dakota fanning
December 8, 2008
Just fantastic! Words can't even express the beauty and tragedy of this French piece of cinematic art. To think it's carried by an actress who is only 4 yrs old... it's mind-boggling. Absolutely essential.
June 8, 2008
THE BEST SUBTITLED FILM I'VE EVER SEEN AND ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITES! THE STAR (VICTOIRE THIVOSOL) WAS ONLY 4 YEARS OLD WHEN THIS WAS MADE AND SHE WON THE EQUIVALENT TO AN OSCAR FOR HER ROLE IS THIS FRENCH FILM. INTENSE EMOTIONAL DRAMA AT ITS RAWEST. IT IS AMAZING THAT SHE IS ONLY 4!! EXPECT GREAT THINGS FROM THIS YOUNG ACTRESS!!!
RODNEY KNOLTON
MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE
RKNOLTON@GMAIL.COM
May 31, 2007
Good acting, but it's so very slow that I couldn't finish it. But the other reviewers are right that she is a very good actress.
November 1, 2007
One of my favorite movies. While it's not the best in terms of pacing or story, it is absolutely worth it for the performance of Victoire Thivisol. The most amazing child performance I have ever seen. She will break your heart.
September 4, 2007
This movie is beautifully done with some of the best child actors I've seen in a long time. It is a bit sad, but clever, poignant, and heart-wrenching all in one.
½ April 28, 2016
Great movie, prepare your hankchief
September 29, 2013