Movies Like Ponette

Ponette Reviews

flixsterman
flixsterman

January 19, 2009
I have no idea how Jacques Doillon managed to get such sincere performances out of 4 year old children (especially Victoire Thivisol) but Bravo Jacques, Bravo!
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

June 1, 2007
This movie is so beautiful and touching. the star (Victoire Thivisol) is an AMAZING actress, The performances (especially the children's) are so real and natural that it's almost like watching a documentary.
Rico Z

July 16, 2006
A truly touching movie with brilliant acting by some of the most talented young actors I've ever seen. At the time this French film was produced, its protagonist was played by a 4-year old actress who carries this film on her small shoulders and carries it extremely well and better than most adult actors can only dream of carrying a film. The story is of an extremely sad nature and is very telling of how amazing these tiny thespians really are. To be able to act in a drama that deals with loss and tragedy and demands them to express a great amount of emotion not only showcases talent, but sucks you into the lives of these characters and makes you feel what they feel. By empathizing with a little thing like Ponette, you really feel for her and root for her until the very end. NOTE: French with English subtitles.
Dannielle A

June 16, 2011
Victoire Thivisol gives such an amazing performance for such a young actress. I really loved the emotion protrayed in this film and the story was well-written. The director really brought it to life realistically I think... except for the end which went against everything in the beginning that people don't come back to life, except Jesus, until the rapture when everyone is resurrected. I really liked how the aunt was comforting Ponette but the other people in the movie who talked about God really got on my nerves... especially Ada, the girl on the playground. One of the best French films I've seen! :-)
brandonklaus2
brandonklaus2

March 17, 2009
Just be happy.
kluroda01
November 23, 2009
this little girl was only 4 and could act THAT GREAT?! i was so impressed by this film from france. so much talent from this little gem. so nice to see another kid besides dakota fanning
RKNOLTON
June 8, 2008
THE BEST SUBTITLED FILM I'VE EVER SEEN AND ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITES! THE STAR (VICTOIRE THIVOSOL) WAS ONLY 4 YEARS OLD WHEN THIS WAS MADE AND SHE WON THE EQUIVALENT TO AN OSCAR FOR HER ROLE IS THIS FRENCH FILM. INTENSE EMOTIONAL DRAMA AT ITS RAWEST. IT IS AMAZING THAT SHE IS ONLY 4!! EXPECT GREAT THINGS FROM THIS YOUNG ACTRESS!!!
RODNEY KNOLTON
MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE
RKNOLTON@GMAIL.COM
flixsterbum
November 1, 2007
One of my favorite movies. While it's not the best in terms of pacing or story, it is absolutely worth it for the performance of Victoire Thivisol. The most amazing child performance I have ever seen. She will break your heart.
September 4, 2007
This movie is beautifully done with some of the best child actors I've seen in a long time. It is a bit sad, but clever, poignant, and heart-wrenching all in one.
khassettla
June 29, 2007
This little girl is amazing. What she can say without saying anything is the highlight of the movie. The directing sucked me right in.
kimro927
June 23, 2007
Amazingly moving performance by a child actor. Thivisol is so genuine that it seems unreal that a child so young could perform like that for the camera. The film itself is really good, but a bit slow in pace. Not a lot happens. Also, the payoff didn't quite sit right with me, but I give this film 4 stars as Victoire Thivisol's performance is hard not to watch without being amazed.
dhalaskagirl18
January 14, 2007
A brilliant foreign film, so don't come in to it with all your American expectations. The leading actress is absolutely brilliant, there are a lot of grown people who can't act half as good as that little girl.
December 30, 2012
This rare gem is one of the best films I've seen and a treasure among my top ten selection. 5 year old (at the time of filming) actress Victoire Thivisol won the Volpi Cup Best Actress Award at the Venice Film Festival for her role as Ponette.

The subtlety and tenderness of this film is a wonder to behold. I completely forgot that I was watching a movie. I felt I was glimpsing the world of a small child, remembering echoes of myself at that age. The power of this film is not in the story so much as it is in experiencing Ponette's experience with her. It leaves the viewer real and vulnerable, the heart cracked wide open. Makes me wish i could summon 10 stars.
November 8, 2012
An awesome piece of film-making from Doillon, who resolutely refuses to move from the children's perspectives. Heart-breaking at times and with a resolution that perhaps gritter movie fans will feel aggrieved at (without wanting to give any spoilers), it nevertheless remains my absolute favourite move ever.
May 16, 2012
Most beautiful movie I've ever seen.
December 12, 2011
The kind of intimate drama that stops you in your tracks and leaves you marveling at the magnificence of the human soul. The performances are impeccable, I'm amazed how they were able to pull off this ensemble of 4-year olds. The most impressing movie I've seen all year. It's on Netflix Instant. Watch it.
October 19, 2011
How? How? How does such a little girl of only 4 manage to give such a mature, stellar, heart rending performance remains a big mystery to me. This movie will make you travel an emotional journey like no other movie could. The performances, screenplay, cinematography, et al will make you remember this movie for a very long time to come. Of course, the one area which is bemusing is the sudden appearance of Ponette's mother at the end. And another area which I didn't like very much is the religious references which crop up more often than needed. But all said and done, I will forever remain indebted to the makers of this masterpiece. Cinema at its best. Watch it and get drenched in your own tears albeit with ecstasy!
July 20, 2011
It is impossible to not project myself into this movie since I was also involved in a car accident with my father at the same age... Luckily, after months of battles against the death, he survived. Today, I am 40 and he is still alive. In this movie, Ponette is a 4-year-old girl who loses her mother in a car accident she was with her. Then, she finds herself among different people with different believes. So, she doesn't know what to think or to do... The only thing she needs is to get together with her mother. That's all she needs.
July 11, 2011
I loved this movie...it made me cry