91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

Poolhall Junkies Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

August 10, 2012
Johnny Doyle: You watch my mouth, Chico. 'Cause you sure as hell don't wanna watch me play pool. Unless, of course, I'm blind folded and hand cuffed with a pool cue stickin' out of my ass. Or maybe you'd bet the twenty thousand then?

"Sometime You Get A Second Shot... Make It."

Poolhall Junkies seems like a movie that has elements of Edward Burns, Quentin Tarantino, and The Hustler. In the end, it doesn't work. It doesn't work because Mars Callahan's script and direction is off; not to mention how bad his acting is. The dialogue is spit out at a fast pace, maybe to make us not realize how stupid a lot of it is. Here's another director who saw how Tarantino liked to write quick, snappy dialogue, and thought he could get in on it too. Problem is, his dialogue isn't smart like Tarantino. It's just bullshit. The movie is saved by Chazz Palminteri and especially Christopher Walken, though.

Johnny is a pool shark who has been under the guidance of a shady mentor, Joe. Johnny never wanted to be a hustler, he wanted to be a pro. When Joe didn't allow that, and Johnny finds out; he gets out. Joe retaliates by getting Johnny's brother involved. This makes Johnny come back to the world of the pool shark for one last big game against Joe and his player, and a rich backer, Mike, shows up to help Johnny with the finances.

Poolhall Junkies is nothing special, but it isn't all that bad either. There's a certain amount of fun that comes from the film, but in the end, it is brought down by its own stupidity. There's not a whole lot of good movies made about pool, but the masterpiece film, The Hustler, keeps making people think that there's a lot of potential in the pool hall setting. There is, but you have to know how to use it. Callahan didn't quite know exactly how to use it and it shows.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 23, 2011
Interesting concept for a film, Poolhall Junkies is the story of a Proffesional pool player and hustler Johnny Dyole who wants to go ligit and break away from his dishonest mentor, Joe. The film is at times uneven, and you can see that there are aspects that they could have improved on, but for the most part it's average film thats very entertaining. I use to appreciate this film very much, but re watching it, you kind of notice that the script needs a bit of work and that that the acting is somewhat sketchy by Mars Callahan who acts also as the film screenwriter and director. One thing is for sure, Callahan's idea of casting Chaz Palminteri and Christopher Walken was a good idea, and there the ones who really deliver on screen. The dialogue is witty, and the script is smartly conceived, but it's obvious that this is a film by a first time screenwriter and director. That's not saying that it's a bad thing, but I've a lot better. The film is a mix of comedy, crime and drama and it's quite an interesting blend of genres in one film. Poolhall Junkies manages to be a good, entertaining film. But it never achieves anything beyond great. It's a cool little film with a decent cast.
Aaron N

December 1, 2006
Mike: What do you call a thousand lawyers buried up to their necks in sand?
Johnny Doyle: What?
Mike: Not enough sand.

A very fun movie about hustlers in the poolhall. There isn't much too it, a lot like the movie Rounders, but this doesn't take itself as serious.

It's fun, has a lot of cool pool shots that aren't fakes or done with camera tricks. It moves along quickly enough and there's also the help of Chris Walken stepping in and giving off some great lines.

The story revolves around a young guy, Mike played by writer and director Mars Callahan, who has a natural gift at pool, but has been raised by a mentor, played by Chazz Palmenteri to hustle others.

Mike attempts to break off his connections with the hustler life, but cannot help to continue playing pool. Through this he manages to meet his girlfriends uncle, played by Chris Walken who takes a liken to him.

The movie eventually boils down to a showdown where Mike has to prove himself as a master pool player.

Johnny Doyle: Bet twenty thousand!
[the poolhall falls silent]
Johnny Doyle: Oh, did I stutter? Everybody gone all quiet and shit? About a minute ago it was like an evening at the Apollo up in this motherfucker, now all of a sudden it's quiet as a church. That's all right, Chico, I don't blame you. I've been beatin' this Jimmy Walker lookin' motherfucker all goddamn night, he can't win.
Chico: You'd better watch your mouth, Johnny!

While the plot is pretty familiar, as I have mentioned, the movie is about having a good time watching it. Walken, in particular, seems to have fun with delivering the plot related lines with a slight smirk.

The film also boasts a good soundtrack and enough style to make it standout a bit. Fun flick.

Joe: How the fuck does that make you feel... to be in that position with all your money on the table?
Mike: How much you got, Joe?
Joe: What?
Mike: Total. You put down 80 thousand like it didn't matter. That's a lot of money for somebody like you and him. I think it matters.
Joe: What's the difference...
Mike: I'm a millionaire! That's the difference. I lose 80 I get another 80. For me it doesn't matter. See, I think it's you... who's sweating this, the both of you.
Dann M

June 28, 2012
Poolhall Junkies is an indie film with some edgy comedy and clever writing. The film follows a group of hustlers at a local pool hall who end up crossing a professional pool-hustler that's out for revenge. The ensemble cast works well, creating a rich and interesting group of characters. And, there's a lot of sharp dialog that's edgy and fun. However, the film takes a while to find its direction and has a few too many side stories going on. Still, Poolhall Junkies is a fun and entertaining film that's good for some laughs.
Jeffrey M

July 16, 2012
Poolhall Junkies is a unique, low-budget indie take on pool hustlers. The film is incredibly energetic, with often jarring changes in scenes and even tone. This is off-putting initially, but it actually manages to work well with the film's manic energy. The script, though it features some stilted dialogue and corny dialogue, has a number of cool exchanges that bring some humorous moments. The performances involved range from adequate (Mars Callahan) to good (Chazz Palminteri, Christopher Walken). The pool play itself is also interesting and generally done well, though I would have liked more attention to be paid to some of the mechanics of it. What really makes the film though is it's fun nature, which makes up for some of its technical lacking (too many shifts in narrative focus).

3.5/5 Stars
February 29, 2012
"Poolhall Junkies" is nothing new for Chazz Palminteri or Christopher Walken, but is modesty entertaining. It follows the normal tropes for this this type of flick and doesn't do anything particularly good or bad. 6/10.
QueenCityFilms
QueenCityFilms

March 3, 2008
This movie was interesting. It had moments of brilliance. Then the very next scene showcased idiotic dialogue and moronic cliche. Then the scene after that would be crackling with witty banter. The scene after that would fall flat on its face...it's like two completely different people wrote half of the same script. Ending sucked for me, but that's just because of the lame "hustle" the main character pulled over Chazz Palminteri. All in all, a decent pool flick.
December 2, 2006
A fun guy movie with a hip soundtrack, filled with sharp, quick dialogue and the added bonus of Christopher Walken spicing things up.
wyatte53
November 3, 2006
not oscar material but a fun flick to watch. chris walkin does his usual best. despite the title , no drugs involved.
campfried
November 6, 2006
Has to be one of my favorite movies of all time. My Dad introduced it to me and since I don't have a copy of my own, I watch it every time I go to his house. It's a really great film
dafsdasdhg
August 8, 2007
Great movie. It gave me a whole new meaning to the game of pool. I loved Callahan in this film, and yet again, Christopher Walken was amazing.
July 3, 2007
I love this movie!!!!!!!!!!! Mars Callahan is great and Micahel, my baby has the funniest lines. he is the man!
May 30, 2007
This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I love Pool Hall Junkies. If you are a billiards fan, than this the movie to see!!
April 18, 2007
this is jacob's favorite movie, its pretty good though, the story line is great plus christopher walkin is in it
Lerch0783
April 6, 2007
When I first watched this movie it surprised me at how good it was. It's a very low budget film but still it was so good. Then I re-watched it a few nights ago and I was still surprised at how good it was. This is one of those movies that will get better and better the more you watch it.

This movie was written and directed by the main star in the film Mars Callahan. So you would kind of expect it to be cheap but it really wasn't. It was very well made actually. This is one of the better hustler movies I have seen. If you like pool or you like hustler films you will like this. But even if you don't I think you would still like it.

The acting really wasn't all that bad considering there were only a couple big name actors in it. Mars Callahan did a very good job considering the fact that he is virtually unknown. The part that surprised me was that they got Christopher Walken and Chazz Palminteri to be in such a low budget film. One of my favorite things about the movie was Michael Rosenbaum. He plays Lex Luthor in the T.V. show Smallville. He looks so odd with hair. It's hard to watch him in these movies with hair after seeing him as Lex and him being bald.

All in all, this is a very good movie that I think a lot of people would like if they would give it a chance. It's low budget but very good despite that fact.
spencerstilwell
March 4, 2007
One of the sweetest movies I've seen in a while. The reason why I'm not giving this 5 stars is because of some pretty bad acting and script problems. Nevertheless, It's worth a lot more than the $5 I got it for. It's a funny, original, low budget, HBO movie that would interest almost anyone, unless your someone or some people who can't stand hearing the F-word repeatedly (hint hint, friends of mine). It most definitely makes you want to play Pool after your finished watching it.
tkkenn
March 13, 2007
Sorry everyone, but I take this over Color of Money and the Hustler. Damn straight because the action is more real then Vincent twirling that stick around like a moron. We all know Johnny. He is that cool guy in the room. Not like the pool players, something more...we can relate to that guy. And Chris Walken takes the cake!
onevaliantknight
March 3, 2007
Witty, intelligent, funny and dramatic. Who new so much went down in a pool hall? I have to say for a movie that was almost never made I'm very glad it was. Let's all thank Christopher Walken for getting on board and making things happen.
Monkiegal13
February 24, 2007
For a low rate movie you get a few familiar faces and an enjoyable movie. Always a fan of the billiards movies.
January 25, 2007
Best movie on pool ever made. Thats saying alot due to The Hustler and the Color of Money, but I loved this movie.