95% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

Possessed by the Night Reviews

DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

February 22, 2012
One thing can be said for Possessed by the Night: it's awful. Wait, wait, I mean one GOOD thing, you don't usually find a Skinemax plot device this weird. A writer buys some horrific blob of tissue in a jar which can best be described as "a brain with an eye" from an overacting Chinese guy's curiosity shop for no reason other than "I just felt like buying something." I think we found the world's worst possessor of bad taste if he thought this thing would enliven the ambiance. But hold on, this hideous blob in a jar is no ORDINARY hideous blob in a jar - it can control your mind! Baser urges are intensified, people are driven to commit acts of violence and crave sex - sometimes both - with whoever happens to be nearby.

You probably know this is a Shannon Tweed movie, so you're really wondering, "How much does she get naked?" As an added insult to the dumb story and laughable acting, her required clothes-shedding time is very limited. Her three scenes are good but all regrettably short. There is a quality bonus scene of her working out in a tiny clingy crop-top, which I cannot decide is a result of the blob's influence on her mind or the writer's inability to find a rational way to show a sweaty Shannon and he just said, "Screw it, just get on the Bowflex."

Tweed has appeared in many movies with much better stories, performances, and titillation, so leave this one until you've run through the rest.