The Preacher's Wife Reviews

February 10, 2012
Bad...
½ October 14, 2009
Saw this one a few times when it was new. Liked it a good bit. Now I know it was right before Whitney turned crazy and as far from being like a preacher's wife than anything.
thmtsang
July 14, 2007
Nice christmasy, heart warming movie. I think this was one of the first movies I'd seen Denzel in. He has a great smile. Great music by Whitney. Her voice is amazing.
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
great movie
garyX
½ December 21, 2006
Soulless reworking of The Bishops wife punctuated by Whitney Houston's irritating yodeling. Pointless and trite.
November 7, 2006
Fabulously beautiful.
½ December 20, 2014
A modern update of a holiday classic, The Preacher's Wife attempts to tell an uplifting tale but ends up being a Whitney Houston vanity project. The story follows an angel named Dudley (played by Denzel Washington) who comes to the aid of a worn-out preacher who's lost his way. Washington gives an excellent performance and brings a lot of charisma to the film, but Houston constantly tries to steal the spotlight, and finds any excuse she can to sing. Additionally, the plot is overly convoluted and doesn't flow very well. And, the tone is also uneven; constantly switching between comedy, drama, and romance. While it's entertaining and has a good heart, The Preacher's Wife doesn't have a clear vision of what type of film it wants to be.
jimbotender
½ November 9, 2008
How bullshit can this be? Sigh, the unintelligent disaster of a romantic comedy remake, the sprinkling odor is lost, the charm and innocence is dead, so do yourself a favor like the challenging viewer you are and admit this buffalo wing is actually a raw turkey!
½ April 28, 2008
A sweet Christmas movie about a small church and an angel who restores the faith.
iLeo
December 26, 2007
A favorite. Loved the Annie Lennox song!
May 7, 2006
I love the song the kids sing in their program. But the tempted angel? Not feelin' it.
May 7, 2011
This was a great movie had a grande cast and the music was fantastic. The plot basically had a Touched By An Angel theme too it but it was a really good movie. I would have to say this is another Must See!!
February 5, 2010
Excellent movie!!!! Over and over again, I'm able to watch the angel scenes and the singing scenes with great delight and inspiration!

I only wish my dvd had special features including more of the story about how this movie came to be made. It's a very clever re-do of The Bishop's Wife, and after having watched them both over and over again, it's simply amazing the kind of creativity that has gone into the re-do. Would definitely like to know more about the story of how the script was written, how the cast and crew got put together, and Penny Marshall's approach to acting and the responses of the actors to her.

Excellent!
½ October 3, 2009
Oh ah I enjoyed this movie. For a movie concerning an angel walking around, this movie is far from farsical. In fact, alot of relationships could use the guidance of an angel, b/c life just abounds with problems. I love the cast, and I love the message.
February 12, 2009
boring. whitney houston is a lousy actress and Courtney Vance is not very attractive. Denzel is the only eye candy in this film
September 27, 2007
I DIDNT KNOW IF I WOULD LIKE THIS BUT BEING A WASHINGTON FAN HAD TO CHECK IT OUT IT WAS VERY GOOD AND ADDED IT TO MY COLLECTION
June 1, 2007
It's based on the Bishop's Wife starring Cary Grant and other actors. It was great, funny, hilarious and humorous-imaginative and creative it. For once a black angel! Angels are always white and that's not realistic....
April 26, 2007
I loved this movie it was soo cool, I Think that Both Denzel and Whitney did a Beautiful job on this movie
January 18, 2007
umm...I grew up on this and i'll watch it with my mom but not by myself. Its o.k. But thats about it
January 12, 2007
One of my favorite Christmas movies. Washington & Houston are great in this one.A lovable holdiay film. Nice family film. All and all a great movie!