Pressure Cooker Reviews

September 10, 2012
Has this one in my Netflix queue for ages. Basically Spellbound for high school culinary students.
May 9, 2011
Shows the power of a teacher who expects a lot, and gives everything. In particular, she allows these kids to dream of a better future and takes them step by step on the path to pursue that dream.
February 19, 2015
The strength and determination of these kids was inspiring to me. The strength and determination of their teacher was just as inspiring. I would watch it again and I will definitely recommend this film!"Pressure Cooker" is a really easy doc to watch, full of humor and most importantly those compelling characters with compelling stories. Grausman and Becker appear to have only needed to be there with cameras to get a great film, but to their credit, it's well-edited, picking great moments to let their story shine.
January 3, 2014
A bit like the classic documentary Hoop Dreams but with an imaginatively different setting. Just as good, and not half as long.
April 7, 2012
This film is a documentary which follows the development of a group of Philly inner city culinary arts high school students. If you've ever wondered about the difference between the results an average teacher gets compared to a teacher that is fully invested and deeply cares about her students, this film will provide an answer. You don't need to be a foodie to appreciate this film. In fact, there's not a lot of technique that is passed on. Mostly, we catch a glimpse dreams dreamed and dreams realized. The final shot before the screen goes black is one that was the kind of ending that brings one's mind to somehow shout, "Whoa," and "Nice" at the same time.
½ September 29, 2011
I loved how this documentary wove together two story lines: the friendly competition among inner-city Philadelphia high schoolers and the tough love of Mrs. Stephenson, the culinary arts teacher & maternal figure to many of her students. It was well worth 99 minutes.
August 6, 2011
Great movie -- extraordinary teacher.
May 8, 2011
While on a basic level this is essentially "Top Chef: High School," it's also much more. One part documentary truth mixed with a few parts Real World truthiness, it's moving in the same way "Hoop Dreams" was, and - like that movie - seems to be about everything all at once. Highly recommended. P.S. I desperately have to go to sleep now.
February 19, 2011
Good story, but not a lot of edge and really no tension. The story exceeds the skills of the directors and editors who come off as very inexperienced. The center of the story is a magnificent, dedicated teacher but we learn very little about her. The story needed a timeline and greater focus, but the approach should do nothing to denigrate the success of the students, teacher and program.
January 18, 2011
To this film was very inspiring because, even though your poor and don't have a good living area you can still do great and achieve your goals in life and be happy. This movie inspiried me so much because I want to be a culinary arts student when i am older and i hope to achieve what all these students have a acheved and be able to work as hard as they di to achieve everything they did.
½ November 30, 2010
This film is so inspiring. It shows that you don't need to be rich or have a good home life to get what you want. In this Documentary the students all come from a troubled child hood but they strive to reach their goal. I love how it is a documentary too, so it isn't just like a made up thing because this actually happened. It inspires me to reach for my goals even if I am going through a hard time. This film can teach you really good lessons if you just open your eyes and watch for them. I recommend this to everyone because this is the best documentary I have ever seen!
½ November 30, 2010
I'm glad that Eric, Tyree Dudley and Fatoumata got scholarships to the colleges they liked. I am happy for Fatoumata got it because she has so much potential and she has such an inspirational story from how she lived in Africa. Wilma Stepheson was an awesome teacher; she was funny, inspiring and caring. I loved the documentary! I would defiantly recommend it to other people because the stories behind these 3 students are an inspirational realistic situation. So many high school kids today are not fortunate to go to college and watching these kids go for it and to win a scholarship is amazing and it gives hope for other kids. Like I said earlier I liked Fatoumata. Knowing that these students will make it through college because of their passion for cooking will give them the opportunity goes far in life. I would defiantly make another documentary on what and how their doing five years from now. I think other people will be touched by this film. I loved the ending how Ms. Wilma got close to her students, so close they had a barbeque.
November 18, 2010
This documentary was a well formed, informational, learning experience. I think there was no other way this movie could have been made and get their messege out.
November 18, 2010
In this documentary, many great lessons were shown through the hardwork of a culinary arts program. The tough love of the teacher, Wilma Stephenson, combined with the dedication and reality of the students makes it a good movie and the audience doesn't really notice how into the movie they get until its over. The use of darker lighting and titles on the screen showing times really gives audience members an idea of the dedication put forth by all. Wilma Stephenson directly tells students how much time they will be putting in and what time they have to get up. This gives the audience a deeper respect for the highschool students. Also, the cameraman is sure to get the lives of the main students outside of school. This helps the audience know they came from a tought background and continued to succeed anyways. The life stories of these students also allows audiences to relate to it and connect it to their own lives. Overall, this movie very well represents struggles and lessons of life.
November 2, 2010
THIS FILM IS AMAZING. if you haven't seen it yet, it is now streaming on netflix.
September 27, 2010
An important film that needs to be seen by all high schools students and teachers. While everyone is Waiting For Superman, there is a Superwoman working wonders at Frankford High School in Philadelphia.
½ October 7, 2010
I enjoyed this film a lot because it is very inspiring in many ways. The reason I liked this film is because when I'm out of high school, I want to be a chef. I would love to learn how to cook and bake many new things that I don't know how to make right now. I always used to bake cakes and cookies before my parents came home from work, and they would tell me all the time that I did a really good job even thought it was just cookies...But I still appreciate when they tell me that. Pressure Cooker was also a funny movie because the teacher Ms. Stephenson was so loud, but she makes jokes a lot. She's a tough love kind of teacher.
½ October 7, 2010
Pressure cooker
??Pressure cooker?? is an inspiring documentary about Ms Grant, most lightly Americas most famous tough-love art teacher. We`ll see how she balances going from scarring students from being in her class to being a soft loving teacher. She pushes the students to achieve a cooking scholarship. This movie stands for achieving goals and growing as a person. A movie worth seeing! The movie is mainly about food, but it goes so much deeper than that. We`ll get to know three of the students more up-close than others. The characters are the poor girl from Africa that struggles dealing with balancing her strict father and the Philadelphia culture, the pretty cheerleader that never have time doing anything for herself because of her blind sister that always need her and at last we have the big football player that tries to be there for his family. Ms Grant is becoming softer and more as a friend later in the movie then she predict to be in the beginning.
It shows how reality is in the food business, long days with hard work. There were a lot of scenes just showing us how many hours they practiced tournéed potatoes. The career does not include glamour at any kind, but then again its more elegant than working behind the desk of McDonalds.
October 7, 2010
It showed how a good tough love teacher works.
She teaches firmly and the students know that she will give everything and expect that they do their best.
When they did what they were supposed she was very nice but if you did something wrong because of ignorance or lack of trying she will be mad and disappointed at you.