Pretty Ugly People Reviews

April 4, 2014
The title says it all. Ugly (on the inside) folks, college friends, meet again at the behest of a member that is dying. The meeting is occasion for some "changes" that make everyone a less ugly person, and we're supposed to feel good about it, through the magic of quirky independent film charm. But that's not what happens. It's the script's fault. That's enough about that.
jjnxn
½ August 4, 2011
Decent acting but the characters are by and large just as the title suggests pretty ugly people.
April 24, 2010
Pretty Ugly People is pretty unremarkable. The set-up and general tone of the movie would suggest a quirky independent romp. It may aim for this title, butit's mostly bland and patronizing. A big lass loses weight and arranges a trip for some friends. They all learn valuable lessons and "discover" themselves. These characters aren't horrible enough for any grand changes, nor or they nice enough to actually like. The protagonist is the biggest bitch of all, allowing her friends to believe she is dying. It's a horrible tactic that only the best writing could salvage a heart from. Unfortunately, such talented scripting is absent here.
March 8, 2015
This movie just fell short in every way. Writing was terrible, acting was forgettable, except for McCarthy, she's always good and she played this role well, the role was just simply terrible, plot was very weak. Just a boring eye-roller start to finish.
August 23, 2014
Boring, cheap, lousy movie.
August 8, 2014
Despite horrible reviews all over the web, I thoroughly enjoyed the film for a few reasons. Two that stand out the most are: 1) I didn't sit there wondering when it would be over. 2) It is an honest message as to what it takes for most (not all) people to change in their lives in order to be happy. I also enjoyed the major twist thrown at the audience towards the end. It goes along feeling predictable but utterly throws you for a loop. There are also some lines said by each character that are startlingly similar to what people would say in real life. Despite my dislike for the actress who plays Lucy, the whole movie felt incredibly real including the "blandness" other reviews have noted. It's definitely worth watching.
March 13, 2014
After years of not seeing each other, Lucy calls her college friends together for a weekend trip because she "doesn't have much time left". She looked up to all her friends in college thinking they were pretty and perfect, as she was large and had very low self confidence, but as her dream trip soon proves none of them are perfect and they are pretty ugly people.

The film is alright. I was expecting a bit more of a comedy but it is fairly dramatic. I didn't feel to connected to any of the characters, the acting was fine and even enjoyable, but Its hard to get really involved with a large group of characters with a supposed long history together and their own secrets, in an hour and half film. I do wish they could have spent more time on some characters and their friendships in college more. I may have also missed some details as I was also on my computer for a little bit near the beginning and I had a slight difficulty hearing some of the lines.
February 3, 2014
Beautiful Scenery in Montana.
October 30, 2013
Beautiful cinematography brings out the best in the scenery and emotions of the actors. The story is smartly written with brash comedy at times that enables the characters to bring forth their shallow lives. Nature and overdressed actors make for a mix that is full of laughs and then turns towards sympathy with a dash of shock. Nibbles: Bean and Cheese Barito.
October 4, 2013
Meh. Title pretty much sums it up. It made sure not to fall into any stereotypical cliches (just kidding, of course it did- with human stomach sprinkles on top)
October 13, 2012
Reunion of college classmates under false pretenses sets the stage for exposing longstanding dysfunctions, how much things have changed for all of them, and the real strength of friendship. Good film, a bit light on substance in spite of a heavier than expected story line. The talented Melissa McCarthy does a great job with her role. Larry Sullivan is also a standout. The rest of the cast does well, but the story line, surprisingly, doesn't fully develop the main character - to the point she almost feels like a plot device for the others to work out their issues. Which is very (unintentionally) funny considering her motivations.
½ April 12, 2012
There is a pervasive feeling of depression to this movie that no amount of weak attempts at comedy can alleviate. But ultimately everything works out the way you'd expect it to, and at some point, I actually grew to like the characters.
March 10, 2012
An interest character study film, though not what I was expected based on the movies premise. I thought the film would be more or a funny and light hearted film, but instead it was a break-down of these 6 characters around the central character. Showing how these friends she grew up with have changed over the years, as she finally lost weight and let down her walls, they all have raised walls and are now hiding behind their insecurities and lies, becoming just what the title says, pretty ugly people. I found the screen writer did a good job fleshing out the inner workings of these broken people and the director and actors did a good job expressing the writer‚(TM)s ideas of the story and characters. Not a bad film, just be prepared for a heavier film then the movie appears to be at first glance.
½ November 8, 2010
Its heart is in the right place, but the execution is missing from the start.
½ July 21, 2010
Totally awful, I can't even explain how bad it was. Do not even waste the $1.00 at Redbox.
July 4, 2010
A boring history with no other purpose than discriminate Homosexuals and people with overweight