The Princess Blade Reviews

July 20, 2011
A cliched revenge story but enjoyable none the less. Pretty decent fight scenes and a good soundrack to boot. Enjoyable enough but not one I would strongly recommend. If you need to watch Japanese girls swinging swords watch 'Azumi' instead of this, after that watch 'Azumi 2' and if you're still not satisfied 'The Princess Blade' may help.
WrenchLT
January 9, 2011
Japanese slash-'em-up based on comic book material. Disappointingly lacking in action during the middle parts where it gets a little slow, but when the action gets going it's pretty cool and stylishly choreographed, all masterminded by action star Donnie Yen. Would have been nice to have a little more fight sequences and blood spurting to go with it too. Overall nothing memorable here unfortunately, but it's not a bad film.
garyX
April 19, 2007
The heiress to the leadership of a clan of wandering assassins finds out that they were responsible for the death of her mother and cliches ensue. Based on a comic book, The Princess Blade is yet another in a long line of modern day samurai movies involving a bunch of MTV style sword waving, slow motion high kicks and pirouetting stuntmen, punctuated by deathly dull melodrama as two hard asses "learn to love". The fight scenes are adequately handled and the pretty cast nice to look at, but the hackneyed plot consisting of a constant trickle of dreary dialogue spouted by one dimensional characters means it's extremely difficult to give a crap what happens to any of them. Safe to say that the girl gets her revenge, the villain gets a good stabbing in the end and I wish I'd spent the previous hour and a half watching Azumi instead. Yawn.
½ June 13, 2007
Pretty cool.. Azumi is better though.. but I did enjoy the quickness when swords were drawn ^_^
skactopus
May 24, 2007
Shinsuke Sato struggles at creating a live action adaptation from the comic known as Shura Yukihime.The plot is weak and the pacing is pretty slow, which makes this 90 minute picture feel much longer. The first 15 minutes or so actually moves by fairly quickly, but the movie soon comes to a halt. There is a side story that is happening with Hideaki Ito's character, however it almost feels like a waste of time, since it hardly has any connection between the main character's plot.The setting takes place in an apocalyptic future, but other than the initial introduction and very very few shots of the city, there is nothing to see. Almost all of the film takes place in a rural setting with no other people, except for the characters themselves.Donnie Yen, while not in the movie, steps in to coordinate the action. Thank you Donnie. The swordplay is fantastic, however it is too few. Other than the first 15 minutes, there is nothing much until 10 minutes near the ending. It is a shame, since the action is the highlight of the film.There isn't much to the acting. It isn't necessarily bad, since EVERY character is bland and emotionless. It may be part of the story, but it makes for a real uneventful film.The Princess Blade is a disappointing live action adaptation. Yes, the action is great, but it isn't enough to make this a worthwhile watch.
½ July 9, 2014
The Princess Blade (2003)

I had an opportunity to see this film at a Portland (Oregon) Film Center special event. Unfortunately they were having technical difficulties with the Dolby audio and we were given tickets for a showing later that weekend.

The early parts of the movie that I saw were very impressive. The action sequences (by noted Kung Fu movie choreographer, Donnie Yen) were good enough to make me rent "Iron Monkey" before going home that night. The movie, "Shurayuki-Hime" or "Princess Blade" (yes, it's a remake) is set some time in the near post apocalyptic future. I loved the flaming begining titles.

The emperor has stepped down and the Japanese society has closed itself off from the world. Pandemonium reigns supreme. Yumiko Shaku plays a young sword wielding assassin named Yuki, a modern day Ronin; killing for whoever pays for it. After killing off an escaping member of her gang she meets up with an old man from her past that tells her that her boss had actually killed her mother. She is the last of her Takemikazuchi clan and should leave.

Yuki goes back and confronts the boss, confirming that he had killed her mother, fights, and runs away herself when she finds out that what the old man told her was true. In her escape, Yuki hops onto the back of a moving truck driven by a young man who has secrets of his own. He's some kind of hacker living inside of a gas station out in the country with his sister. Soon Yuki and the young man grow closer. They even contemplate running away together, but both of their pasts come back to haunt them.

This was a well made movie. The first half was very stylized, but the second half of the movie began to get muddled. I know that I may be ethnocentric and am used to American-made movies, or at least the older Samurai movies of 60s. After the second half of "Princess Blade", I wasn't sure what it wanted to be. Did it want to be a sensitive, romantic "chick flick", an action picture, a Samurai revenge picture, or science fiction movie? They were all over the genre map.

Again, I'm probably just culturally conditioned wrong for this movie. Perhaps they simply ran out of money before filming the end of the picture. I liked it enough to recommend it generally. It's very enjoyable with some great action sequences. Somehow, I think that they could have done better had they kept up the momentum.
½ July 20, 2007
Not as awesome as I had hoped, but still a lot of fun. I love samurai and I love Asian women, so this was nearly heaven.
½ May 22, 2007
saw this at the portland art museums film festival a couple of years back. um....yeah...interesting premise but could have been better.
May 13, 2007
It looks nice, but this wannabe sci-fi/action flick thinks it's supposed to be some kind of arthouse existential mumbo jumbo and fails on both levels.
May 6, 2007
What few action moments there are in the movie aren't bad at all, kind of nifty, but nothing compared to how over-the-top other movies like Versus are.
Also, the plot sucks, and there's not enough backstory or character development whatsoever so all the not-fighting stuff going on is simply boring...*yawn*
½ November 6, 2006
I love Japanese films, and this one had an amazing story and the director captured the scenes fantastically!
October 27, 2006
While the film features some thrilling action sequences, it suffers a lot from lack of development both in character and in story. Even still, it's a good movie in its own right.
½ March 16, 2013
great but could do with some work
September 20, 2012
iam aya i wrote on my books ,,,my name is princess blade aya but i didnot know what does it mean ??when i came to search about it ?/ i saw princess blade just amovie...........
July 20, 2011
December 30, 2010
i was bored to death. ended up skipping through the film to the fairly amusing fight scenes - so one star for that. and for the great sets they found/made!
but you cannot tell a film like reading a story! less dialogue and more acting please. supposing you have actors who can act of course!
June 21, 2010
A great Mixture of High Skilled Martial Arts and sensitive Drama
½ January 6, 2005
[font=Courier New]I?m not that big of a fan of modern day swordsman movies. I really liked [i]Kill Bill[/i] because it was mainly a tribute to the genres it took so much from, and was one hell of a fun movie. That is more than I can say about this movie.

I did like a lot of the fight scenes in it, but felt everything else was not that great. The story is a bit weak, and at times becomes so tedious, that I would rather stare into space than to have to face this movie.

If you focus on the action alone, the film can be a decent flick for you to watch. But I can?t help but feel with action there needs to be an equal or greater story to go along with it. That is why [i]Kill Bill[/i] worked out so well.

But the lack of an interesting story kept me from truly liking[i] The Princess Blade[/i]. I?m not saying you should stay away from this, because you might find something in here that you might like. But just be cautious.[/font]