Princess of Thieves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Princess of Thieves Reviews

½ September 4, 2010
It was very cute. Kiera Knightly was wonderful, as always, though she is quite young here...a mere 15. A decently made film. Not oscar worthy, but nice to watch.
ScoopOnline
December 15, 2009
If you thought Robin Hood broke all the rules, wait until you meet his daughter.
February 27, 2009
It's not a bad little Disney movie. It follows the same format as most of the flicks that channel puts out.
sanjurosamurai
January 26, 2007
corny but decent for little kids
kylemydude
December 14, 2007
Keira Knightley was great, amazing to think she was only 15. Stuart Wilson was solid, that's the extent of my praise.
½ September 14, 2008
Poor Prince John! Sure he was a douche bag but he was Royalty that was his job. All people in power are generally douche bags they have to be to get into power. Richard was a douche..OK that expression is making me sick...a jerk, so was Henry (their father) even a casual examination of the records of the time will confirm this supposition. So to invent some fictional son of Richard (hard to do as he liked war against his relatives and the comradere of men) to supplant King John just seems like another huge slap in the face. Let's face it his tyranny turned out for the best it lead to the Magna Carta which lead to all the great charters of rights and constitutions that so many people enjoy today in many different countries (usually by discarding it when ever they can). Don't get me wrong I love the Robin Hood universe I just appreciate a little more parity in the villainy of the ruling class as opposed to the mythical good King saving the day.
....oh the movie..(shrug)...it's OK. Knightley does alright, Mcdowell is always good and it is generally pretty silly and lightweight without actually adding anything of value to the Robin Hood mythos.
Stick to Errol Flynn for fun or Robin of Sherwood (TV series) as the definitive stories told on celluloid.
June 16, 2012
Cruelly drubbed by many reviewers for folklore inaccuracies (Robin Hood's daughter is of noble blood etc), blatent historical inaccuracies (revealed in the final reel) and the Disney-fied vision of medieval life. This movie (originally made for television) is actually well worth a look and really not all that bad if taken for what it is (a fantasy re-imagining of the what if the good hearted English outlaw Robin Hood had a daughter who followed in her fathers footsteps). With some great acting - especially from Malcolm McDowell as the dastardly Sheriff of Nottingham and rising Hollywood star Keira (King Arthur, Pirates of the Caribbean) Knightley as the title character Gwyn.
Revolving around the attempts of Robin Hood (and subsequently Gwyn) to safely transport King Richards illegitimate son Phillip to London in an effort to thwart Prince John's designs on the English throne. The movie has enough action to keep the young ones happy and enough drama and romance to make it a diverting picture for the adults.
February 1, 2012
I found this was pretty good. Not entirely disney humor or anything but enough to tell it was disney. Decent enough for an evening.
½ March 4, 2011
It was a Disney movie, so I should have known it was going to be sappy and not very interesting. Though I liked it to some extent, it was still a waste of my precious time. It was supposedly a twist on the original Robin Hood story, but of course, it was more of an exaggeration of the story with a new plot about Robin Hood's daughter and placing King Richard's son, Prince Phillip on England's throne. It romanticizes thieves and basically ignores reality, but otherwise, it was ok, boring.
½ July 17, 2011
This is a live action Disney movie about Robin Hood's daughter, played by Keira Knightly, whom I adore. So I'm predisposed to like this movie. The plot is light, without much tension. Knightly performs well and looks great, even masquerading as a male. There is just something infectious about her enthusiasm in this movie. The story has been done many times over but seemed fresh as a result. Worth watching but not spectacular.

You wrote this on 2/27/09.
½ February 15, 2011
Knightley is the best thing about this movie. There's a couple of others, who give decent preformances, in this mediocre tale.
Cal
August 2, 2010
Keira Knightley produces a single emotion for the entire duration of the movie. I don't know quite what it was, but she never faltered from it. I think I call I shall call it "the English accent," because she sure seemed determined that we believe it.

Female protagonist hates the typical classification of females of the time. Boring, we've seen it before (and the English accent does little to liven it up). In fact, the only GOOD part of the movie was her little friend "what's-his-name the monk." But then he didn't die, which was a shame, because that could have given the movie a bit of substance.

The movie ends with female protagonist saying stuff that I wasn't convinced to care about with her English accent, and tilting her head the way she did the entire movie.

All in all, don't bother to watch this.
October 22, 2009
Predictable, by the numbers and only sporadically entertaining, but it's not that bad for a made for TV movie and Keira Knightley gives a decent performance. Kids (especially girls) will like it.
February 10, 2009
[font=Arial]It just never went wrong, classic with a hint of fantasy, just plain fun to watch[/font]
½ April 30, 2008
Not a bad movie,you can tell it's made for T.V.
But they got a good legendary folk hero they're working with.
And it is Kiera Knightley.
½ November 23, 2008
First off, I have never heard of this movie before. After doing some research on the movie after viewing it, I am not surprised quite surprised that the film was produced by the Walt Disney Company, and aired on ABC back in 2001. I guess I missed the "world premiere" when it aired on television nearly seven years ago. But, back to the movie review, honestly, the film wasn't that good. I have to agree with some of the reviewers, the film had potentials. It would been great if the film wasn't watered-down for "family" viewing. Though it was interesting that Disney thought up of a new "Robin Hood" story starring his daughter. After reading and viewing other Robin Hood stories, I never knew he had a daughter! The film's action sequences were fine. I actually wanted more actions. The film's CGI-animation was minimal, but again, this film was produced the television, so I wasn't surprised the effects were lacking. The film's story and plot was believable. It was boring during the first-half, but got more interesting toward the second-half. But overall, the film was enjoyable, but wasn't as entertaining as I hope it would been.
September 17, 2008
Awesome movie! I love Keira Knightley and all her Britishness! Phillip is one of the only male movie stars that can pull off the long hair thing, but only when its in a ponytail. Conrad can too, although I must say Philip pulls it off much better. Robin Hood's character is played by the guy who plays Rafael in Zoro!
August 7, 2008
I remember this being my friend Jenny's favorite movie when we were younger, so I saw it and I didn't like it as well. We still have completely different taste. Two of her favorite movies: Elizabethtown and Wimbledon, are on my crap list. Anyway, this was okay.