Prisoner of the Mountains (Kavkazskiy Plennik) Reviews

November 18, 2010
It takes a Russian touch to make a film about war that shows compassion, brutality, hope and hopelessness, and does so with only 3 minutes of battle scenes. This movie has a deliberate pace, which makes you appreciate the film while you are thinking about what is happening. The story line is solid, and never is it unbelievable. The cinematography is beautiful. The acting well done. Nice movie.
February 24, 2012
A well deserving Best Foreign Picture Oscar winner back in 1997. Not too many pictures depicted the uprisings in Chechnya of the period and this does so well from a very personal perspective.
November 1, 2012
I liked this movie, although it is not one I would watch over and over again. So many things went wrong, if and only if ... things would have turned out better. Loved the cast. So sad that the actor Sergei Bodrov, Jr. died in real life, he was such a good actor in this and in the other movies I saw him in.
½ April 13, 2010
Don't let these people fool you. This is not a good movie.
½ June 17, 2006
Not the Best Russian Movie but it get's the message across. Some may call it a little cliche like. But what is a cliche in a war movie? It's a movie with a soul, because it doesn't envolve masses of solders it brings you personal with the Heros of the movie.

It was a plesant watch.