The Private Eyes Reviews

December 6, 2012
A ridiculous little mystery comedy staring two master of ridiculous movies. If you enjoy their humor you'll like this more than I did, but if not, skip it. The movie is incredibly cliched. I knew who dun it when they got their first clue.
cancercapricorn2002
½ June 26, 2009
Lord and Lady Morley have been murdered and even worse, Inspector Winship (Knotts) and Dr. Tart (Conway) are on the case. Sent in by the yard to investigate, Tart and Winship are on the prowl to catch a killer that is staying right in the Lord and Ladies manor. They also received a letter from Morley AFTER he was dead. Say what? Somethin' a funny's a brewin' here?
At the Morley mansion the private eyes meet the staff of the house, including a bimbo maid, a gypsy caretaker, a hunchback stable groom, a nutty butler, and a seductive mistress. One of these people is the killer?but who? Tart and Winship continue to piece together the mystery by questioning the staff and crew. But as the night wears on the bodies start piling up as one staff member after another is picked off by a mysterious shadow lurking in the dark.
Time starts running out as the two men bumble and stumble their way through the house looking for clues in the form of notes left by the killer. But will they find the fiend in time, or will Tart, Winship, and the rest of the manor end up as yesterday's leftovers?
I saw this as a kid and loved it. Its still hold up as a lite and fun film for the entire family. No bad words (one is implied, but not spoken) totally clean for the whole family. One scary part for kids younger than 6 or so, if you want to censor it, have your kids leave the room when they go outside to dig up the body. You have plenty of warning, they are in the crypt for a while before they open the coffin.
It is written by Tim Conway, and of course stars Tim Conway and Don Knotts. Some of my favorite lines are "for a short person, you have long sentences" and Tim Conway's rambling "I think that someone doesn't want anyone to know that there may be someone here that might be someone that's a killer" line still gets me laughing! Highly recommended to anyone in search of a fun film
½ December 12, 2008
A lot of lost potential here. The poems/clues the murderer/ghost leaves for the detectives are slightly funny. All the jokes are groaners. I might have appreciated the movie more when I was younger. The plot is a mess. Knotts and Conway had partnered in Disney comedies with this type of humor a few times during the 70's. The success of this type of comedy had ended by this decade though.
moviefan1725
July 31, 2009
Now THIS is what I'm talking about. THIS is how you do a spoof. Unlike today, where "spoof" movies copy shots from popular movies and attempt to make a joke of them, this movie spoofs an entire genre by honoring it. Don Knotts and Tim Conway were a great comedy duo. Knotts was forever the straight man, and Conway is one of the great improvisational comedians the world has ever known. Here they play two bumbling detectives investigating the murders of a rich English couple. We get the usual motley collection of suspects, the creepy castle setting, secret passages, trap doors, and a mysterious, shadowy figure who may or may not be responsible for everything happening. Not only is the movie funny, but it also provides a genuine mystery. The setting is fantastic, the characters are interesting, and the two lead actors are at the top of their games.
½ April 14, 2009
lol i remember seeing this as a kid. Pretty funny
DrLappos
October 11, 2007
Unbeleivably stupid....but very good.
May 14, 2008
When Lord and Lady Morley are killed, Inspector Winship and Dr. Tart are called in to investigating their "murder".... if they can? A spoof on the Sherlock Holmes stories, stars Tim Conway and Don Knotts bring to the screen a hiliarious take on one of the most beloved detectives of all time. With countless jokes and a supporting cast of funny characters, this superb and silly film is a must own for fans of the duo.
December 22, 2009
This one holds a special place for me. One of those films I grew up with. Knotts and Conway are hilarious as Inspector Winship and Dr. Tart (an inept Holmes and Watson) investigating a murder and missing person at Morley Manor, which may or may not be haunted. Highly Recommended. "Listen up dummies. The help is all gone, the house is bare. Now you know, a shadow is there. There's one left to die, then my job'll be done. I like killing people, it's a lotta kicks! "
½ January 8, 2009
Perhaps the funniest pairing of Tim Conway & Don Knotts. So sad that they were'nt used more than the four films they made. This is clearly their best.
January 1, 2009
Wow! i havnt seen this movie in ten years. Classic comedy at it's finest. Who ever heard of a gun that goes off every hour? LOL. The letters/poems the killer makes are absolutely hysterical. Man i wish I had it on DVD
May 20, 2008
Funny spoof on the classic Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson movies. Don Knotts is Inspector Winship and Tim Conway is Dr. Tart. The plot isn't very deep but the humor is and the film is quite funny. The two dim-witted detectives are sent in to solve a murder by the man who was murdered. As if that's not enough the servants begin to be killed one by one. A race to find the killer before everyone dies turns into comical fun in a house of "horror" with suprising results.
October 19, 2007
Don Knotts and Tim Conway always make a good comedic team, and this movie definitely has its funny parts. But I wouldn't recommend watching it without your finger on the fast-forward button--it does have some off-color humor.
January 24, 2007
Stunning gothic scenery can't quite save this murder mystery/comedy, starring Don Knotts and Tim Conway. Cut from the same cloth as "Clue," "The Private Eyes" is fun but utterly forgettable, and not nearly as funny as it seems to think it is. It was a favorite of mine as a child -- kindof like a live-action "Scooby Doo" adventure, without the talking dog -- but it hasn't aged as well as I hoped. It's fun to see big empty houses, spooky secret passages, and the unraveling of a double murder in a lighthearted manner, but it pales next to "Clue," a movie that clearly ripped it off and beat it at its own game.
December 27, 2006
INCReDIBLE!!! i totally wanna see it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. but yes. i love it, if i had a choice, it would be 100 stars!!!
April 10, 2015
Like peanut butter and chocolate these two just go perfect together.I'm a big fan of both these comedians so indulge me in my guilty pleasure.
December 24, 2013
Love this movie, absolute classic. The 2 stars make this movie what is is. They are a fantastic pair when it comes to comedy tv and film.
June 28, 2005
THE PRIVATE EYES (1980)
February 25, 2010
Although one of the cheesiest, hammiest, most predictable movies ever, the viewer is pleasantly surprised at the enjoyment you can get from this film. Knotts and Conway in their last pairing, deliver a absolutely wonderful movie that will not disappoint. Embrace your inner dork, and you will find this movie classic. If you have actually stumbled onto this review then you are suited for this movie.