Problem Child - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Problem Child Reviews

½ July 1, 2012
Awful, uninspired comedy about a brat, this is one of the worst comedies I had the misfortune of seeing. Poorly written, acted and directed, this is a film that never was funny to begin with. I never understood why this film was a hit, as it is painful to watch. I found the film to be very unfunny, and the lead child actor was really annoying and unfunny. The film tries too hat delivering effective gags, and it fails because the material just doesn't cut it. In terms of a good comedy, this film doesn't even come close as being a funny film. The cast make it a horrible film, and the directing is unfocused and sloppy, that's to be expected from a Dennis Dugan film. This is comedy at its lowest form. A tiresome, boring film that is just painful to watch, Problem Child is a misfire of a film, one that never should have been made in the first place. The script has its limitations, and it constantly shows on-screen. If you're looking for a funny film with this one, you'll be sadly disappointed. I despised everything about this film, and I thought it was bad from start to finish. The film didn't even have potential of being a good comedy. This is one of those films that just has nothing good going for it. You should definitely avoid it, and watch a funnier film than this. This one scraps the bottom of the barrel, and it's too flawed to work. Avoid it like the plague. Annoying and never funny, this has got to be one of the worst films in the genre. I think it's a shame that celluloid was wasted on trash like this.
May 6, 2011
Fun. But, the real problem is the screenplay.
September 6, 2010
A fun filled family adventure flick. I really liked this movie when I was a kid, and it's still entertaining.
April 22, 2007
Again, once was enough.
½ December 15, 2009
"You mean we've been doing "it" every night, for nothing?"

Recently, I've written less reviews. Half a year ago, more or less, I wrote almost every day. One reason why I've become less effective is because of crappy movies like 'Problem Child'.

I watched this movie from the TV, and afterwards I asked myself "Why didn't I change the channel? Did I want to hurt myself subconsciously?" I still don't have the answer to these simple questions.

Say what you say of Gilbert Gottfried, but I actually laughed to some of his scenes. There's something about his voice and manners that have a positive effect on me. John Ritter is lame as always but the real bastard of this movie is the child actor, Michael Oliver. I'm totally against hitting children but everytime I saw his face... Fuck me sideways! Have I ever seen a more annoying or less talented child actor? No.

And the movie got a sequel staring the same lead actors! Why in the fuck? This is one of the worst movies I've seen. The acting is lame, the "humor" nonexistent, the story boring as hell. Skip this one.
August 15, 2008
Even as a kid i already knew this sucked.
½ June 30, 2007
Black comedy about a bad boy. I liked his antics. There was a good message about parenting, with John Ritter having unconditional love for the boy, but also some hard love. Some of the boys' pranks were funny and imaginative; I laughed at what he came up with. We wouldn't want this sort of behaviour in reality however.
January 25, 2007
goofy and fun family film
November 19, 2006
Horrible and stupid. But for some reason I can't put my finger on, I really like this movie.
October 3, 2006
Two thumbs down! Bored comedy of a 'little monster'.
April 11, 2011
Not as good as I remember it being when I was younger. John Ritter was still the man though.
February 15, 2006
Problem movie.
½ April 8, 2011
This was one of those movies which I thought was funny for the type of movie it was. I probably wouldn't watch it again but it was worthwhile to see once.
December 22, 2007
Honest to God (or something like it) that I do not know, care and/or can tell if this is a good movoe or not because my judgment is clouded by the hours and hours and hours of uninterrupted fun I spent as a child watching this movie and its sequel; whenever they're both on television (and it's always one after the other) I can't help myself and see it and have fun. Also, it is very, very important that, like Pete & Pete and The Simpsons, I see this movie in Spanish.
March 4, 2008
they dont show this much on the tube however if you ever get chance to watch this i suggest it
March 29, 2007
Great film for Singles!
An insight to ponder about children. The state of them, that is.
Dennis Dugan is a great director for comedy.
March 5, 2014
Evil child? Check. Shenanigans and pranks? Check. Ridiculous story? Check. Still this movie was hilarious when I was a kid.
August 7, 2013
I enjoyed this film as a kid and bizarrely enough still like despite it cruelty towards orphans, cheap laughs, and cynicism in child abuse. Sigh over the late John Ritter, and Michael Richards... well at least his career.
June 8, 2011
They don't make 'em like they used to anymore. Offensively awful, incredibly mean spirited, cheesy and repetitive late 80's score, mind numbly over the top and a laughably horrendous narration job by the child actor. This movie has a special purpose now after seeing the fantastic film remake of Cape Fear (1991) during the famous scene when Robert DeNiro was in a theater watching this LOL. Genius. An abomination of a film, but my gosh... one of the greatest movies ever made though.
April 21, 2007
Funny movie. The acting was kind of cheesy, but I think the little boy was very funny. The movie was a bit sad at some points but it seemed to be all good eventually. Fun family movie.