P.S. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

P.S. Reviews

hunterjt13
April 16, 2012
An admissions officer for Columbia gets involved with an applicant whose name reminds her of a man from her past.
The performances by Laura Linney and Topher Grace save this film from the miasma of self-indulgence that it threatens to fall into. Linney, in particular, conveys a whole palette of emotion, from insecure lust to confident determination, and Grace sprinkles in sensitivity to his douchey character.
While the plot doesn't pay off and there's an important scene in a hotel room that leaves the audience wondering if it got spliced in from another movie, the story is good enough to provide Linney opportunity to show off her acting chops.
Overall, I like Linney enough to follow her into this poorly constructed film.
LWOODS04
November 6, 2009
Cast: Laura Linney, Topher Grace, Gabriel Byrne, Marcia Gay Harden, Paul Rudd, Lois Smith, Jennifer Carta, Ross A. McIntyre, Chris Meyer, Becki Newton, Stacy Lynn Spierer

Director: Dylan Kidd

Summary: College admissions officer Louise Harrington (Laura Linney), a divorced woman in her late thirties, is looking for someone special enough to put her heart on the line, but the only man she's ever loved died 20 years ago. When a college applicant, Scott (Topher Grace), appears to be her true love reincarnated, will Louise finally find the happiness she seeks? Or is Scott just playing along to get into the Ivy League?

My Thoughts: "Wonderful cast. I wasn't blown away with the story, but it was definitely interesting. Louise Harrington, is a woman longing for the past. She spends her time thinking about the "what ifs" in life. When F. Scott Feinstadt comes in the picture is when it gets odd. He looks, speaks, and acts just like her high school boyfriend and happens to share his name. She comes somewhat intrigued with him and a bit obsessed. The whole story is a bit weird and it never really goes anywhere. But interesting none the less."
November 7, 2006
Odd, but it was pretty good.
April 11, 2009
The most beautiful parts of the movie don't really push the plot forward: F. Scott "painting" Louise, Louise's imagine-yourself monologue. And by plot, I mean the "metaphysical" quandary that is the supposed donnee of the movie. The real let-down is that there IS no metaphysical payoff; it's all just coincidence that F. Scott resembles Scott so much. Decent performances but F. Scott's is such a douche. If he's really not the dead-lover-reincarnated, I don't find his personality redeemable enough for Louise to actually fall for him.
April 12, 2008
Tophe Grace shows his diversity in this romantic drama.
iLeo
December 9, 2007
A lovely film.
November 9, 2007
REALLY bad movie. It never picked up, and there was absolutely no point to it whatsoever.
March 16, 2013
I don't think this movie knew where it wanted to go at all. Laura Linney and Topher Grace had sexual chemistry and ok I got it even with the huge age discrepancy, but there was too much sloppiness in this film. I'm still giving it 3 stars instead of less because this was not the actors fault (except maybe in accepting the roles).
July 28, 2011
I really thought this film was actually going somewhere. Topher Grace's performance was kind of interesting but ultimately fell flat and you sort of sit there wondering how could laura linney really take this guy seriously....Topher just delivers his lines like a goofball while Laura Linney, Gabreil Byrne, and Marcia Gay Harden!!! are in a serious drama. It kept my attention throughout but in the end it just didn't work. There was something to work with but it doesn't really evolve into something satisfying. It's interesting though.

Plot hole? Linney says he paints like her old boyfriend but her old bfriend painted that portrait that was abstract....and he doesn't paint that way.
June 17, 2011
While the subject matter is actually pretty lame and anticlimatic, the acting is fantastic, and that was enough to keep me watching. This is definitely not the kind of thing I could watch over and over, and I'd have to be in the right mood for it. But if you're looking for something that's mellow, not necessarily intellectual, and incredibly well-acted, this is worth giving a shot. Topher Grace was especially great in this movie.
June 17, 2010
Laura Linney shows she's truly one of the best actresses working today, radiating intelligence and wit in the role of New Yorker Louise Harrington, an admissions officer at Columbia's graduate school of fine arts. Louise is devoid of romantic illusions after her bitter divorce from her skirt-chasing husband Peter (Gabriel Byrne). Her world gets turned upside down though when she meets art student F. Scott Feinstadt (Topher Grace), and the two are off to the bedroom. Louise only does it because F. Scott reminds her of her first love, also named Scott, who died just before her best friend, Missy (a terrific Marcia Gay Harden) could try and steal him from her. Nothing more need be revealed, except to say that director Dylan Kidd (Roger Dodger) delivers a smart, potently erotic and funny drama that takes its time revealing long-festered emotions. Grace (of tv's That 70's Show) turns in his best performance yet, exuding killer charm and stunning sensitivity. But P.S., adapted from a novel by Helen Schulman, is Linney's show all the way, and she makes it resonate.
½ July 25, 2010
As much as I wanted this movie to come through, it seems to fall short of some ambiguous goal. After all the buildup of the identity, I can't help but feel let down when we discover who Louise has been having trouble letting go.

However, Linney is a pleasure to watch and as always, brilliantly human. Balancing fragility and resilience in a way that never fails to soften hearts, Linney is completely in her element.

Grace also gives a noteworthy performance, displaying a very believable charm. Watching him on screen I couldn't help but think that he was simply playing himself.
April 8, 2010
*** (out of four)

The always wonderful Laura Linney stars a divorcee who works in admissions at Columbia University. She comes across the an applicant and sets up and interview. When the young man (Topher Grace) arrives, he is the spitting image of the young man she fell for in high school and was killed in a car accident. She becomes involved with him, but the question arises whether he is simply seeing her so he he can get into a great school, and is she using him to try and recapture both her youth and the boy she loved.

I like the questions that the movie asks. the situations are pretty much as you might expect, but the actors delivery adds enough to recommend the film.
½ July 21, 2007
Rather thin, but intriguing story. I've been watching tons of older women/younger man movies lately. I have no idea why. Maybe it's because I need mothering. Anyways, Laura Linney is always good and Topher Grace was flipping adorable.
March 16, 2008
Laura Linney is as usual excellent. If there was any justice in the world she would be an A-list celeb
November 25, 2007
weird movie. parts of it just sucked, others were compelling and insightful. I didn't always feel like I knew what was going on.
October 10, 2007
The film is based on the novel by Helen Schulman, who co-wrote the script with Kidd, and it suffers from the same hobbling that bedevils so many literary adaptations; namely, that what strikes a reader as a conceit of some delicacy will strike a moviegoer as clunking whimsy.
July 12, 2007
This movie would have been great if it let its audience in on more. These characters, whom I felt very interested in, did not share the backstory with the audience. It had so much potential, the performances were wonderful, but I felt like I was missing necessary pieces to fully understand the movie.
February 19, 2016
The story & narrative didn't quite come up with the acting here.