—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Punk - Attitude Reviews

Wu C

June 3, 2007
Interesting doc on the punk scene.
October 23, 2008
I can't avoid being biased on this movie. I grew up this music and still listen to it constantly. It has a very good straight forward structure and style and it goes straight to the point without any sugar-coating. The interviews could be longer but they land well and fit right in with the story of the evolution of punk. I would like to see the full interviews from each of the subject in the film.

My biased rating is 4.5 although it really is a 4.0... I would rate it a 5.0 but, oh, well, I love this documentary.
ChthoniC
January 26, 2010
Not bad for another documentary but a little mainstream lenient, Rollins is really starting to seem like a rambler that can't stop complaining.
Shane D

March 21, 2009
This would have been 5 stars, if they hadn't ended the documentary by talking about shit bands like Limp Bizkit. I don't know why they found that necessary. But other than that, this is great.
January 16, 2008
Amazing doc chronicling the birth of "punk" and beyond. Great footage of early bands like The Stooges, The NY Dolls, to The Ramones (my favorite), The Pistols, and of course, The Clash. But the list here is infinite.

Wonderful interviews with journalists of the time, musicians, and poets. Anything you ever wanted to know about the "punk" movement is here. My only gripe is, where the F*** is Joy Division?

btw, I think this music is more relevant than ever today. God save the queen? God save Bush, he's no human being. There is no future in America's dreaming.
November 3, 2007
A really fun to watch documentary. Many of the people involved with the scene are interviewed including Henry Rollins, Siouxsie Sioux, Mick Jones, Poly Styrene, and more. Definitely a must see for people who used to be punks or are in the new generation of punks.
thegoodbyegame
January 18, 2007
I stole this movie from Tower Records, that used to be here in town. Its just a great background story of what punk was, and still is. Any fan of punk music, should watch this film and treat it as their bible.
August 17, 2006
Interesting documentary that manages to skip an entire decade of music... worth watching, but hardly definitive.
PlanNinePrint
July 22, 2006
I think this is the best Punk Rock Doc that I've seen. To be over critical, it fell a bit short as a film. However, The perfomance footage was absolutely amazing. Performances that stood out include The Velvets, The Buzzcocks, The Damned, NY Dolls, Iggy, MC5, The Clash and Blondie. I wish the full performances were available as bonus material on disc 2. The 5 seconds of The VU performing Venus in Furs is by far the Sickest thing I've ever heard. I'd love to see the entire performance.
February 15, 2014
Great documentary, highly suggest it
August 2, 2012
Seeing this for the first time in 2005, I was junior in High School. At the time I had just left the punk scene, and when I say what was the so-called punk scene at the time, it was comprised of punks who listened to 3 of the same bands. I was more of a pioneer of hearing everything possible, so when I viewed Punk Attitude on the IFC channel more that 6 years ago, my life would change forever.

This film has a lot of heart, it's Don Letts's love letter to an important time and how this reoccurring spirit of punk rock has always existed and bloomed in the 1970s to make its prominent mark as a huge cultural impact in history. Although it primarly leads up to focus on the 1970s punk scene, the film covers such a vast amount of essential punk history as far back as even to the 1950s and boomerangs to cover even today's times.

With interviews with great pioneers, historians, and bands of the genre (ie: Henry Rollins, Jello Biafra Mick Jones, and Jim Jarmusch), and the amount of coverage of the sub-genres that exploded from the initial explosion of punk.

All in all, see this fuckin' movie. It'll educate you, entertain you, and most importantly, inspire you.